Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087048 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it just AntiFa?  (Read 576 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« on: Sep 24, 2017, 05:03PM »

An eposode of Reveal on NPR showed that there are right wing groups that specifically demonstrate to incite AntiFa groups to make them look bad.  So those who say it's only the Left that are bad may have some more thinking to do.

Listen here:
https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/street-fight-a-new-wave-of-political-violence/

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:00PM »

Even though hating nazis is the standard good thing to do some people can be going about it the wrong way.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:04PM »

The issue brought up in the broadcast is that the Right Wingers (not necessarily Nazis, but usually White Supremacists) demonstrate in a provocative manner hoping to get the AntiFa to attack first so they can claim victimhood.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:27PM »

What I mean is that there are some people who are AntiFa who will gladly attack without understanding that’s what they want.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
JESimmons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2017, 03:23AM »

It’s Nazi brown shirts trolling and fighting Marxist black shirts. Both sides want to control my life and restrict my rights, and I have no use for either.

Olds O-21
1955 Conn 6h
1967 Conn 88h
1974 Holton TR-180
Edwards B454
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2017, 05:25AM »

It’s Nazi brown shirts trolling and fighting Marxist black shirts. Both sides want to control my life and restrict my rights, and I have no use for either.

Antifa aren't usually Marxists, they are typically anarchists.

Maximilien Brisson
Molefsky

"Very old photo..."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:07PM »

Antifa aren't usually Marxists, they are typically anarchists.

Correct; they are, by their own definition, anarchocommunists. They are not "liberal", and in fact use the term as an insult. To them "liberals" are essentially unwitting Nazi collaborators.

So those who say it's only the Left that are bad may have some more thinking to do.

Anyone who said this needed to think it through before this piece was published.

The issue brought up in the broadcast is that the Right Wingers (not necessarily Nazis, but usually White Supremacists) demonstrate in a provocative manner hoping to get the AntiFa to attack first so they can claim victimhood.

Antifa attacks first as a matter of policy. They serve to increase publicity for fringe groups on every side. Antifa uses the notoriety to gather support. How's Eric Clanton doing? I bet he still thinks he's one of the "good" guys too...

Molefsky
freelance trombonist
Full-time Environmental Engineering Consultant
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2017, 04:35PM »

Eric Clapton? I would have thought he was more profa.

Oh wait.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2017, 09:45PM »

I've always been doubtful that "Antifa" is as huge a thing as claimed.

Maybe if you count everyone who played Castle Wolfenstein.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Molefsky

"Very old photo..."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2017, 09:58PM »

Eric Clapton? I would have thought he was more profa.

Oh wait.

:cry: :cry:

Molefsky
freelance trombonist
Molefsky

"Very old photo..."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:03PM »

I've always been doubtful that "Antifa" is as huge a thing as claimed.

Maybe if you count everyone who played Castle Wolfenstein.

How big does a criminal organization need to be? They're, literally, self-proclaimed dangerous extremists. The fact that they've been defended and even promoted by public officials should concern us all.

Molefsky
freelance trombonist
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2017, 07:47AM »

How big does a criminal organization need to be? They're, literally, self-proclaimed dangerous extremists. The fact that they've been defended and even promoted by public officials should concern us all.

Problem is, "antifa" is not really an organization (any more than say, "fascists" are an organization). It's really more a movement. And while there are organized groups that are specifically antifascist groups, most antifa militants are anarchists or anarchocommunists who are either members of groups that discuss many issues, of which antifascism just happens to be one, or individual militants who do not identify or belong to any organized group. Extreme right militants tend to search for a feeling of community and belonging, and they like militaristic, hierarchized, disciplined, organized groups (ironically, usually to promote extreme individualism and individual rights). Extreme left militants are the exact opposite - while they revolve in militant and like-minded circles, they are usually not into organized/formalized groups.

The media and many people have a hard time understanding that dynamic in the far-left movements, which often leads to eye-rolling media reports saying that "the demonstration attracted a large contingent of members of the Black Bloc", like if the Black Bloc was an organization. Another example might be the Black Lives Matter movement, which a lot of people seem to think is an organized group.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2017, 02:52PM by Le.Tromboniste » Logged

Maximilien Brisson
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2017, 08:07AM »

How big does a criminal organization need to be?

If it's going to be pointed to, with pearls clutched, as the "real" problem, the "real" instigator, the true threat to our civilization, decent society and all we hold dear then it damn well better be bigger and more real than the one you're using it to distract us from.

Imagine a doctor saying, "I'm can't set your broken leg until you get an eye exam because I think your vision might be the reason you tripped."

...Another example might be the Black Lives Matter movement, which a lot of people seem to think is an organized group.

Probably more of a bumper sticker than an organization.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2017, 12:32PM »

Robert Holmén

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: