Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087048 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Disgraceful NFL  (Read 6356 times)
slideorama

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:30PM »

I know that it's not helping me to be more sympathetic to the problem.

So, you need help in understanding BLM?

Wow.

Michael Lawson
Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:35PM »

Yes, I am very aware of the First Amendment; but having the right to do something doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right thing to do.

Trying to stop or advocating against lawful demonstration dishonors all of us who have served in uniform to protect that right, although the right to dishonor troops and vets and the Constitution also falls under the same protected right. You might want to consider the implications.

It's not appreciated--at least not by this vet, and I'd argue any vet who took his or her oath seriously and understands what it meant (I think cops tend to have a more solid understanding of this kind of oath, quite frankly, just because of the fact the letter and interpretation of law, in detail, is much more directly in the picture in their day-to-day duties than constitutional principles are in a soldier's).

In any case I'd argue that if you can't offer a sound explanation as to how a given protest doesn't fall under the protection of the Constitution (as is quite arguable when white supremacist groups incite violence, for example) and you still can't bring yourself to support the constitutional right of the protestors, then you have an issue to resolve with the Constitution, not so much those it's protecting from those who can't quite support what it's about when their personal views get in the way.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:48PM »

I understand the need to draw attention to the conflict between police and minorities, but this behavior is counterproductive in that it is serving only to handicap their cause by creating further divisiveness.

What IS appropriate for them to do to communicate their grievance?

Don't include things that have already been tried and don't work.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2017, 09:33PM »

There are many reasons to not support professional sports. I don't think that the players exercising their rights to free speech is one of the pressing ones.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2017, 05:51AM »

I suspect this thread is not in the proper place. I, for one, am sadly discouraged to see the vast amount of superficial, "my country, right or wrong" thinking so many Americans believe constitutes "patriotism". Most really have no true understanding of the word. Here is one of the most thoughtful, dead, spot on commentaries I have ever seen on the subject. This guy speaks most eloquently to the issue.........

https://www.attn.com/stories/11050/military-veteran-stands-colin-kaepernick?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=direct-share&utm_campaign=shares

"If you want respect, you have to do the things necessary to earn it each and every single day. There are no short cuts and no exceptions.
"Respect cannot be compelled.
"Respect cannot be bought.
"Respect cannot be inherited...Respect has to be earned.
"Respect. Has. To. Be. Earned."
"Now, any veteran worth the label should know that. If they don't, then likely they weren't much of a soldier to begin with and you can tell them I said so.
"IF Kaepernick doesn't feel his country respects him enough for him to respect it in return, well, then you can't MAKE him respect it.".....................
..................."You might force this man into the illusion of respect. You might. Would you be satisfied then? Would that make you happy? Would that make you respect your nation, the one which forced a man into the illusion of respect, a nation of little clockwork patriots all pretending satisfaction and respect? Is that what you want? If THAT's what matters to you, the illusion of respect, then you're not talking about freedom or liberty. You're not talking about the United States of America. Instead you're talking about every dictatorship from the Nazis to North Korea where people are lined up and MADE to salute with the muzzle of a gun pressed to the back of their necks."......................
............................."If America wants the world's respect, it must be worthy of respect.
"America must be worthy of respect. Torture, rendition, indefinite detention, unarmed black men shot down in the street every day, poverty, inequality, voter suppression, racism, bigotry in every form, obstructionism, blind patriotism, NONE of those things are worthy of respect from anybody -- least of all an American."

Powerful stuff, and, as I said earlier, DEAD, SPOT ON!

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:49AM »

I suspect this thread is not in the proper place. I, for one, am sadly discouraged to see the vast amount of superficial, "my country, right or wrong" thinking so many Americans believe constitutes "patriotism". Most really have no true understanding of the word. Here is one of the most thoughtful, dead, spot on commentaries I have ever seen on the subject. This guy speaks most eloquently to the issue.........

https://www.attn.com/stories/11050/military-veteran-stands-colin-kaepernick?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=direct-share&utm_campaign=shares

"If you want respect, you have to do the things necessary to earn it each and every single day. There are no short cuts and no exceptions.
"Respect cannot be compelled.
"Respect cannot be bought.
"Respect cannot be inherited...Respect has to be earned.
"Respect. Has. To. Be. Earned."
"Now, any veteran worth the label should know that. If they don't, then likely they weren't much of a soldier to begin with and you can tell them I said so.
"IF Kaepernick doesn't feel his country respects him enough for him to respect it in return, well, then you can't MAKE him respect it.".....................
..................."You might force this man into the illusion of respect. You might. Would you be satisfied then? Would that make you happy? Would that make you respect your nation, the one which forced a man into the illusion of respect, a nation of little clockwork patriots all pretending satisfaction and respect? Is that what you want? If THAT's what matters to you, the illusion of respect, then you're not talking about freedom or liberty. You're not talking about the United States of America. Instead you're talking about every dictatorship from the Nazis to North Korea where people are lined up and MADE to salute with the muzzle of a gun pressed to the back of their necks."......................
............................."If America wants the world's respect, it must be worthy of respect.
"America must be worthy of respect. Torture, rendition, indefinite detention, unarmed black men shot down in the street every day, poverty, inequality, voter suppression, racism, bigotry in every form, obstructionism, blind patriotism, NONE of those things are worthy of respect from anybody -- least of all an American."

Powerful stuff, and, as I said earlier, DEAD, SPOT ON!

I've heard it said that this disrespect for our Flag is about BLM and not Trump. That group deserves no respect from any decent human.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:53AM »

I've heard it said that this disrespect for our Flag is about BLM and not Trump.

Shocking.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:08AM »

Shocking.

and also anti-police.

FLASHBACK: NFL Banned Teams From Honoring Murdered Cops

Energy City Big Band
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:19AM »

1) It's anti racist police. It's anti racist-policing. If you think racist police officers and policing are a-o-k, you're a part of the problem.

2) BLM is not a violent group, it is a group that fights for racial equality. Stop getting your news from breitfart.

3) How is exercising your 1st amendment right disrespectful? Kneeling is actually an accepted method of respecting the flag. Read up on the flag code. Laying the flag flat (like when they march the giant flag out on the field) is disrespectful. Wearing artistic depictions of the flag on clothing like underwear and suit coats, printed on plates and napkins and the like is disrespectful. Again, read the flag code.

4) All Americans have the duty to speak out against injustice, particularly when it occurs in our own country. Standing against equality is about the most un-american thing I can think of.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:20AM »

Dickerson, sometimes I wish you could be Black for a while to see what these people deal with.

Imagine you are driving along minding your own business and suddenly you are pulled over and issued a ticket for something like a broken taillight.  The cop then demands you get out of your car and they do a search "for drugs".  Then they arrest you for finding something else in your car.

Now imagine you are a licensed owner of a concealed carry permit and are stopped.  You offer to give the gun to the officer but he shouts some unintelligible and impossible task.  You attempt to give him the gun and instead he shoots you dead.

Imagine that you are walking down the street and you are swept up in a police raid.  Thrown into the back of a van while handcuffed.  They drive over the bumpiest roads in town swerving around corners so you are thrown from side to side.  Your neck is broken.

These guys are not necessarily anti-Police, but instead are anti some  police -- the ones who do these things.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:22AM »

2) BLM is not a violent group,

Dude!

"How is exercising your 1st amendment right disrespectful? Kneeling is actually an accepted method of respecting the flag."

Tell that to Tebow. Were you a supporter of Tebow?

Energy City Big Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:33AM »

I've heard it said that this disrespect for our Flag is about BLM and not Trump. That group deserves no respect from any decent human.
Shocking.
and also anti-police.

Incredible ... same source?

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:34AM »

I suspect this sudden concern for the national anthem is just opportunistic hypocrisy because there wasn't anything like this display of outrage when the networks stopped carrying the anthem ceremony before games.

Aside from the SuperBowl and season openers they've been selling commercial time during the anthem at most games. 90 seconds of commercial time is probably worth around $1 million for a typical game.

If the anthem really is such a sacred thing, shouldn't it be broadcast instead of covered up with Doritos ads? But there's never been outrage over it.  

Rich white people get a free pass on that when there's money to be made. But when a black guy does this symbolic thing for no money... no passes available!

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:37AM »

I suspect this sudden concern for the national anthem is just opportunistic hypocrisy

I suspect this sudden surge of anti-police, anti-flag, and anti-national anthem was brought about by Hate America supporters.

Energy City Big Band
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:41AM »

I suspect this sudden surge of anti-police, anti-flag, and anti-national anthem was brought about by Hate America supporters.

What?

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:57AM »

Dude!

"How is exercising your 1st amendment right disrespectful? Kneeling is actually an accepted method of respecting the flag."

Tell that to Tebow. Were you a supporter of Tebow?

Tebow wasn't kneeling for the Star Spangled Banner.  He was engaging in a form of post-touchdown display.  I think it's no worse or better than the guy who caught the pass dancing around and spiking the ball through the uprights.  He was censured because it took too much game time.

Note: I think Tebow was canned because he wasn't as good a quarterback as they thought.

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:01AM »

Shocking.and also anti-police.

Incredible ... same source?

Five Dallas police were murdered in July 2016, and the Cowboys unveiled a special decal to honor with a star and the words “ARM IN ARM” to honor the police.

The NFL wasn’t having any of it, and put an end to the decal before they could wear it for one game.

Energy City Big Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:08AM »

Five Dallas police were murdered in July 2016, and the Cowboys unveiled a special decal to honor with a star and the words “ARM IN ARM” to honor the police.

The NFL wasn’t having any of it, and put an end to the decal before they could wear it for one game.

I bet a banner hung over the stands would have been fine.  The NFL is VERY strict about players wearing decals of any sort.  It required a special dispensation for the players to wear the number of a teammate who died.

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:10AM »

I bet a banner hung over the stands would have been fine.  The NFL is VERY strict about players wearing decals of any sort.  It required a special dispensation for the players to wear the number of a teammate who died.

I would think that the assassination of 5 police officers would suffice for normal people.

Energy City Big Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:15AM »

I would think that the assassination of 5 police officers would suffice for normal people.

The NFL is very worried about the camel's nose under the tent.  Where do we end.  Suppose a rich donor wanted his name on the players' jerseys.  Or maybe his company.  Let one in and suddenly the players look like NASCAR drivers.

No.  A banner, maybe an announcement over the PA before the game, and perhaps even a short ceremony would show the team's sympathy to the slain policemen.  It could have been handled better.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: