Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092460 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Street band with hoppin' bone player  (Read 680 times)
Fishlips
« on: Sep 27, 2017, 12:27PM »

This video has over 25 million views. Pretty fun group just to watch, let alone listen to. Turn your speakers off and just watch them play and you can almost tell what they're playing. Bone player got a lot of funk and spunk!

https://www.facebook.com/lostandfoundtobe/videos/1583317538398819/

Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2017, 02:42PM »

Pretty fun group just to watch, ...

Uhh - if you say so  Don't know

... let alone listen to.

Ouch.   :-0

Looks as if the audience they gathered was really enthusiastic?   Amazed  No? 
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2017, 02:56PM »

I completely agree with Fishlips. But you have to dig that kind of music played that way. Not everyone does and it doesn't mean the group ain't right; just different and somewhat unconventional; clearly not for everyone.

Lucky Chops is my idea of what a street band can be under ideal conditions. Bravo to them!

...Geezer
Fishlips
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2017, 06:53AM »

I just thought it was fun, something different. I enjoy their energy and they obviously have fun playing. It's OK to enjoy playing, even just for fun or doing silly stuff. Have you got a video with 25 million views?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2017, 10:58AM »

That band came up in another thread regarding the sax player, again with varied levels of approval.

I think they're part of what makes NYC fun and interesting.  We have nothing like that in Dallas subways. We only have one subway station in Dallas!

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2017, 11:17AM »

People are creating something from nothing using musical instruments.  It is hard for me to understand how anyone who does the same could disapprove. 

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2017, 11:35AM »

That's a great point and a reason why I took it up as a hobby some few years back. Unlike say, painting - there is no residual inventory of creation to do something with. Once a note is played - unless it is recorded - it disappears. The only other thing even close to making music in that regard is either gardening or cooking - where what one produces gets consumed, hopefully.

...Geezer
nemomcnab

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2017, 11:52AM »

I especially appreciate the subtle application of dynamic contrast in each phrase! ............................ Evil  Seriously, a bunch of young guys playing acoustic instruments for subway goers - warms my heart. They seem to be having a great time.
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2017, 01:26PM »

We only have one subway station in Dallas!

Rob,

It's time for you to assemble a performing group, hit the subway station, and start hoppin!  Sing it!

I actually love live music, youthful enthusiasm, many street performers, and the response from passersby. 

Just didn't particularly enjoy "Lucky Chops" - nor did, apparently, most of the subway passengers on their way to/from the trains.   :-0
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2017, 02:00PM »

Just didn't particularly enjoy "Lucky Chops" - nor did, apparently, most of the subway passengers on their way to/from the trains.   :-0

What makes you say that?  You hardly see any passengers throughout the entire video clip.  I saw a number in the top left corner stop and listen for a bit.  Considering that this is NYC, the fact that someone on their way somewhere else (NOT on their way to listen to a performing group) stopped for even a moment speaks volumes!

Steven

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2017, 06:56PM »

Considering that this is NYC, the fact that someone on their way somewhere else (NOT on their way to listen to a performing group) stopped for even a moment speaks volumes!

Yes riding the subway can be an experience.  I can get a train in Grand Central listening to an excellent cello duet, and get off at Bowling Green where an energetic honk band is playing.  All this music, and I've got somewhere to be.

Steven Cangemi

Let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2017, 07:01PM »

Yes riding the subway can be an experience.  I can get a train in Grand Central listening to an excellent cello duet, and get off at Bowling Green where an energetic honk band is playing.  All this music, and I've got somewhere to be.

If you were really lucky you could have heard Joshua Bell playing some Bach partitas.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
fsgazda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2017, 07:04PM »

I thought that was fantastic!

Professor of Music, Delaware State University, Dover, DE.
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2017, 07:33PM »

We have nothing like that in Dallas subways. We only have one subway station in Dallas!

If you only have one station, that doesn't sound like much of a train line.

Steven Cangemi

Let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: