Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087323 Posts in 72015 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cast iron, anyone?  (Read 1449 times)
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2017, 02:43PM »

----

I do. I have four of them and use them mostly for corn bread or fried eggs. You can't beat cornbread done in a cast iron skillet. I use 100% masa harina, no wheat flour in my recipe.

===

I just made cornbread in my old cast iron skillet. It came out too dry, but that is my fault. No more store bought premix!
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:48PM »

Years ago when I was sharing a place with a roommate, I came home one day to discover my nicely seasoned cast iron skillet in the dishwasher....after the cycle had run.

>:(

Yeah, but it sure was clean..

--Yamaha 620G bass w/ Shires HW bell
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:31PM »

Years ago when I was sharing a place with a roommate, I came home one day to discover my nicely seasoned cast iron skillet in the dishwasher....after the cycle had run.

>:(

More years ago, I did this with my mother's cast iron.  I wonder how I remember this from so many years ago...

Steven Cangemi
jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:24PM »

Absolutely!

I have a staub enameled dutch oven I got about 10 years ago on sale that is fantastic. I also use cast iron to bake bread in (Lodge pieces for this as I am not comfortable putting the Staub in an oven that hot).

For frying pans, I made the switch about 5 years ago to carbon steel (Debuyer), and I love those.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2017, 10:12PM »

(Lodge pieces for this as I am not comfortable putting the Staub in an oven that hot).
Fear not.  The ceramic on your Dutch oven was annealed at temperatures your cooking oven can never reach.  Especially the temperature for  baking bread.  Pfffft - Daz nuthin' dude.  Like - bake man!

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
jwebster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:59PM »

Fear not.  The ceramic on your Dutch oven was annealed at temperatures your cooking oven can never reach.  Especially the temperature for  baking bread.  Pfffft - Daz nuthin' dude.  Like - bake man!

Nope. While the enameled portion of the pot is annealed around 800 F, there are other parts that are not meant to be over 450-500 F. The temps I bake at are beyond this and I'd rather use a cheap cast iron piece for this than screw up the handles on the Staub. They also advise against preheating to high temperatures with the dutch oven empty, and I also do this when I am baking.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2017, 02:03PM »

Nope. While the enameled portion of the pot is annealed around 800 F, there are other parts that are not meant to be over 450-500 F. The temps I bake at are beyond this and I'd rather use a cheap cast iron piece for this than screw up the handles on the Staub. They also advise against preheating to high temperatures with the dutch oven empty, and I also do this when I am baking.
Ahh, got ya.  On mine, the handles are all cast in.  I use them for all sorts of oven stuff, but not baking.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: