Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087334 Posts in 72018 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Man on the street report: new XO Brass Fedchock .500
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Man on the street report: new XO Brass Fedchock .500  (Read 403 times)
ntalarico

View Profile
« on: Oct 11, 2017, 12:59PM »

Took delivery of an XO a little over a week ago.  It's been out on the town for two rehearsals and one big band gig.  So far I am very impressed and pleased.  I've been playing a 6H and the XO is the winner in the short term.  One surprise, though.  Last night at a rehearsal, Tom Kordus and I switched horns for awhile.  I was playing his 90s(?) Jiggs, and his Jiggs is lighter in weight than the XO.  I don't know if Tom made any modifications to the Jiggs.

The XO has a really nice warm, resonant sound, though you easily can kick it up a notch when needed, and it plays much more in tune in all ranges than the 6H.  The XO has a smooth, fast, light, but tight, slide.  It still feels new, and I'm figuring out the best way to lube it.

What XO and Fedchock have done is to take the 2B+ in a direction that works for Fedchock (obviously).

Oh yeah - one interesting thing - it has a removable counterweight which is meant to be used at the BOTTOM of the brace, nearest the player's neck for better balance, not at the middle.

On the trivial front, I've gotten several positive comments about the hard-shell, futuristic looking case, BUT all of us are wondering how long the zipper closure will last, compared to conventional mechanical closures.

I'll check in again as I keep playing it.

Are you all reet?
Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:44PM »

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for sounding biased.....
I would imagine the 6H probably has the stronger sound overall. Record yourself playing the same line on both horns. I've tried the XO back in summer of 2015. Nice horn, but nothing to get overly excited about.
I've never noticed any "tuning" problems with the 6H.
It sounds as if you're more concerned with how light a horn is overall-which is fine- personal preference. 
:)
EdGrissom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:07AM »

We have gotten a lot of XO trombones through our store and I have played almost every one of them.   I liked the Fedchock a lot.   Interesting about the counterweight.   I have experimented with moving them around and can tell a difference in the sound depending on where I place it. 

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If a man makes a statement and no woman is there to hear it, is he still wrong?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: