Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087048 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Opioid crisis fueled by drug industry and Congress
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Opioid crisis fueled by drug industry and Congress  (Read 560 times)
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:39PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-dea-agent-opioid-crisis-fueled-by-drug-industry-and-congress/

Ah, typical politics as usual. It’s stuff like this that makes voters feel like they have no voice, when Congressmen clearly act against their interests with no backlash.

If our venerable President Trump would really “clean the swamp” and deal with shenanigans like this, I’d be on board. I don’t think he cares, though.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:25PM »

He only cares if it lines his pockets.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:11AM »

Someone said that when the black community was ravaged by crack, it was a criminal law problem. Now, when the white community is having an opioid crisis, it's a public health issue.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:49AM »

It was the same with Crack and regular Cocaine.  The Black community used Crack and were despicable criminals.  The White community used Cocaine and it was a fashionable drug.  There were many more arrests for Crack than for Cocaine, although there were probably a lot more Cocaine users.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:12AM »

It was the same with Crack and regular Cocaine.  The Black community used Crack and were despicable criminals.  The White community used Cocaine and it was a fashionable drug.  There were many more arrests for Crack than for Cocaine, although there were probably a lot more Cocaine users.

It's also the main reason cannabis is illegal--it was popular in the Black community, particularly musicians as I understand it, (When hasn't a popular drug been particularly popular with musicians?) so by association it was seen as scary/threatening (What if they get all hopped up on [whatever] ... !) Hence Reefer Madness madness.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:58AM »

Interesting sidelight.  When Glenn Miller was looking for musicians for his Air Force band, he'd look for tents where there were cannabis plants.  Those musicians were the "swingers" he wanted.  Note that cannabis was not only popular with Black musicians -- it was also popular with White ones.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:21PM »

There were a ton of white people smoking marijuana at my 99% white Lutheran college.

How has it not gotten legalized yet?

I suspect the reason a legalize-it-because-of-the-white-users movement hasn't succeeded for marijuana is that it's pretty invisible to use.

Unless someone searches you and finds it there aren't many tell-tales signs like desperate finances and addiction behavior and ruined health to out you.

White people rarely get searched but black people get searched just because they were out driving their car.

It's effectively legal for white people already.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:54PM »

To be clear, this story is not about illegal drugs like cocaine, crank, or marijuana; it is about legal drugs sold illegally (i.e. prescription drugs without proper prescription controls) and then effectively legally thanks to a pliant Congress and lobbying.

- Thelonious Monk
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:09PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/trump-will-look-his-drug-czar-nominee-following-report-n811121

Seeing Trump so far, I predict he will say this is all fake news.

- Thelonious Monk
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2017, 01:33AM »

The other injustice was that the penalties for crack were much higher than for regular cocaine, even though they were pharmaceutically the same.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:06AM »

FEYNTANOL   ////MORPHINE //OXYCOTIN///  VICODEN //CODINE
 --------AFGHANISTAN --------------CIA--------------------

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:36AM »

Interesting sidelight.  When Glenn Miller was looking for musicians for his Air Force band, he'd look for tents where there were cannabis plants.  Those musicians were the "swingers" he wanted.  Note that cannabis was not only popular with Black musicians -- it was also popular with White ones.

I always did think military musicians should be exempted from the mandatory drug testing, but they're not.

Old timers have told me stories of getting high on the band bus while the lifers up front were unaware.  Come to think of it, it may have been an Air Force guy talking. 

Tim Richardson
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:48AM »

Looks like the drug czar nominee is out...

Rep.Tom Marino has informed me that he is withdrawing his name from consideration as drug czar. Tom is a fine man and a great Congressman!

... and back to the House where he can still do damage.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2017, 01:23PM »

The other injustice was that the penalties for crack were much higher than for regular cocaine, even though they were pharmaceutically the same.

If I remember correctly, the penalty for crack was made higher because it was so much more dangerous than regular cocaine.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:00PM »

I always did think military musicians should be exempted from the mandatory drug testing, but they're not.

Old timers have told me stories of getting high on the band bus while the lifers up front were unaware.  Come to think of it, it may have been an Air Force guy talking. 

I got high on the band bus coming back from a gig when I was in the Jazz Knights of West Point. There were a number of smokers in the band then.

I failed a urinalysis test...6 months before I was getting out. Still they wanted to boot me. I faced a stressful board of officers hearing (similar to a court martial).

Because of complete support from the commander, section leader, and others, I managed to get out with my honorable discharge.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:38PM »

If I remember correctly, the penalty for crack was made higher because it was so much more dangerous than regular cocaine.

That was the excuse, but it's not true. Both forms of cocaine are identical, pharmaceutically. The difference between them is the removal of hydrochloride from crack, which makes it smokeable.

The delivery system does make a difference--smoking cocaine produces a quicker and shorter lasting high than snorting it, and the high is more pronounced because the effects are less gradual. However even this difference does not justify more severe penalties, because powdered cocaine can be dissolved and injected, with the same result.

The difference in penalties was ridiculously large, and there was never any justification for it. It's easier to send poor city kids to prison than Hollywood stars. With the latter we cheer them on as People magazine tells the inspiring story of their recovery.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:15PM »

From Esquire:

"The descendants of Mortimer and Raymond Sackler, a pair of psychiatrist brothers from Brooklyn, are members of a billionaire clan with homes scattered across Connecticut, London, Utah, Gstaad, the Hamptons, and, especially, New York City. It was not until 2015 that they were noticed by Forbes, which added them to the list of America’s richest families. The magazine pegged their wealth, shared among twenty heirs, at a conservative $14 billion. (Descendants of Arthur Sackler, Mortimer and Raymond’s older brother, split off decades ago and are mere multi-millionaires.) To a remarkable degree, those who share in the billions appear to have abided by an oath of omertà: Never comment publicly on the source of the family’s wealth.

That may be because the greatest part of that $14 billion fortune tallied by Forbes came from OxyContin, the narcotic painkiller regarded by many public-health experts as among the most dangerous products ever sold on a mass scale."
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:52PM »

Sing it! Pant Sing it! Sing it! :-P Idea! Idea! Idea! Idea! Idea! Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Eeek! Eeek!
======
WHO CARES   ?????????????NOBODY ---PASS THE PILLS  !!!!!!!!!!

From Esquire:

"The descendants of Mortimer and Raymond Sackler, a pair of psychiatrist brothers from Brooklyn, are members of a billionaire clan with homes scattered across Connecticut, London, Utah, Gstaad, the Hamptons, and, especially, New York City. It was not until 2015 that they were noticed by Forbes, which added them to the list of America’s richest families. The magazine pegged their wealth, shared among twenty heirs, at a conservative $14 billion. (Descendants of Arthur Sackler, Mortimer and Raymond’s older brother, split off decades ago and are mere multi-millionaires.) To a remarkable degree, those who share in the billions appear to have abided by an oath of omertà: Never comment publicly on the source of the family’s wealth.

That may be because the greatest part of that $14 billion fortune tallied by Forbes came from OxyContin, the narcotic painkiller regarded by many public-health experts as among the most dangerous products ever sold on a mass scale."

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: