Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087048 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) The sparkle in your China: the Middle Kingdom ascendant?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The sparkle in your China: the Middle Kingdom ascendant?  (Read 172 times)
Ellrod

View Profile
« on: Oct 27, 2017, 10:40AM »

This paragraph caught my eye this morning:

"China signaled that it now sees itself as the world’s other superpower, positioning itself as the alternative, if not rival, to the United States."

Apart from our western/post-Enlightenment notions of human rights (compare with Chinese philosophy of mutual rights and obligations as encapsulated in Confucianism for extra marks), is China an alternative to the US. Given current trends in the US, can you say that Trump is making America great again? Maybe China is the model of a prosperous, orderly, and safe society moving forward?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2017, 12:56PM »

I understand it's so good in China that they are dancing in the streets.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan... It's morning in China!

With five times the population they certainly must be a force to be reckoned with.

When there are as many people trying to get into China as there are trying to get into the US I'll say they are an alternative.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2017, 01:08PM »

It's increasingly possible for lawyers in China to be arrested for what are ostensibly legal actions on behalf of human rights in China. Who looks at that with admiration?

One practical "alternative" indicator would be... what does Taiwan want to do? Go all in and rejoin China or keep their de facto alignment with the West?

I'm sure they've watched what has happened with Hong Kong and how the Chinese promises have not been upheld there.

Robert Holmén

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2017, 01:10PM »

With weak American leadership, is it only a matter of time until Beijing deals with Taiwan?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2017, 11:11AM »

With weak American leadership, is it only a matter of time until Beijing deals with Taiwan?

Maybe a long time. They don't need it for anything but symbolism.

Robert Holmén

Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:11PM »

Re Rob's smog pictures. Eeek! In Australia we are enjoying increased numbers of Chinese tourists due mainly to them being fascinated by Australia's pristine environment. They love our sunsets and the fact you can actually see the horizon. ;-) Tourism Australia is predicting that nationally, 42 per cent of all visitors to Australia will come from mainland China. Here is one example of our drawing power:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-28/pink-lakes-lures-chinese-tourists-to-regional-wa/9092900

On the other hand, China itself has the leading five tourist cities in the world:

1. Chongqing, China

2. Guangzhou, China

3. Shanghai, China

4. Beijing, China

5. Chengdu, China

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung