Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087323 Posts in 72015 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Nothing burger becomes a something burger
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nothing burger becomes a something burger  (Read 3031 times)
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2017, 04:44AM »

The Papadopolous guy is all of 30 years old. Got in over his head with the shady crowd maybe?

He is second one after Jeff Sessions at the lower left of this "National Security Meeting" pic.

The penalty for a FARA violation is up to five years imprisonment and up to $10,000.

The penalty for a "False Statement" conviction is up to five years and up to $250,000.

I presume that these can be multiplied by the number of charges you get convicted on.

How many years would you do for Donald Trump? I might do five but 10 would test my loyalty.

We don't know what the charges on Popadopalous were when he was arrested in July. He's now facing just 0-6 months for "lying to the FBI" because of his cooperation with the investigation. Manafort and Gates have not been cooperative, and have been hit with some pretty serious indictments. But who knows whether Mueller has even more serious (can it get more serious than "Conspiracy against the USA?) charges he can file against them if they don't become cooperative. And, do you suppose Wilber Ross has got a pretty tight sphincter after seeing how many times the bank he ran in Cyprus is mentioned in the indictments? This Mafia gang is going DOWN!

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Stan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2017, 07:50AM »

38.  From in or about and between 2006 and 2017...the defendants PAUL J. MANAFORT, JR., and RICHARD W. GATES III, together with others, knowingly and intentionally conspired to defraud the United States by impeding, impairing, obstructing, and defeating the lawful governmental functions of a government agency, namely the Department of Justice and the Department of the Treasury, and to commit offenses against the United States...
That's "others" plural.  This is literally the tip of the spear.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:09AM »

From a Canadian perspective, it's good to see Wilbur Ross in trouble. NAFTA and all that.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:23AM »

Nothing burger becomes a something burger

And everyone is shocked! Shocked I tell you!

Well, if by "everyone" you mean everyone who's clueless enough, whether actually or by selective processes conscious or otherwise.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2017, 11:51AM »

Remember when our resident parrot called the Russia stories'fake news' because no one had been indicted, so there was 'no wrongdoing'?

Now that we have a conviction (based on a guilty plea), serious indictments, and more to come, is that going to change? Just kidding, of course it won't. Just the excuse for calling it fake news will change.

The way you can spot people who don't think for themselves is that they don't change their minds when circumstances change.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:25PM »

We're all amateurs here, but watch a couple of real professional nothing-burgerers at work.

In almost every breath there is something simply untrue or misleading by omission and yet it is all reeled off as just plain facts...

https://youtu.be/h3Bg_rxxGzM
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/h3Bg_rxxGzM" target="_blank">https://youtube.com/v/h3Bg_rxxGzM</a>

Gingrich says Mueller is "out of control" but just a few months ago...

Newt Gingrich‏Verified  @newtgingrich

Robert Mueller is superb choice to be special counsel. His reputation is impeccable for honesty and integrity. Media should now calm down

5:17 PM - 17 May 2017

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:49PM »

Right out of the gate, Hannity's stock talking point is a lie. The Special Prosecutor's scope was to investigate Russian interference in the election, and possibly coordination with members of Trump's campaign. Both of those things could have taken place without demonstrating that Trump himself colluded with the Russians, so the investigation is not confined to indicting Trump himself.

Once you start with a false premise, the rest is obviously B.S. and that's what follows here. Mueller isn't 'out of control' because his mandate was never as narrow as they're pretending it is.

Moreover, the prosecutor's marching orders were to investigate crimes that turn up during course of the investigation. Surely they're not expected to catch people laundering money and evading taxes and turn them loose free and clear. If the police are investigating a burglary and discover a meth lab in your house, of course they're going to charge you.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:15PM »

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:48AM »

I'm sure this won't change any minds that insist it's all a witch hunt, but they seem to be focused on only pursuing real crimes not trumped-up or petty violations.

Andrew Weissmann, Mueller’s Legal Pit Bull

Empowered by Mr. Mueller, for whom he previously worked as general counsel at the F.B.I., Mr. Weissmann has taken the lead in the government’s case against Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s former campaign chairman, whose indictment jolted the capital on Monday in a clear signal of the team’s seriousness.

Mr. Weissmann could be seen at an initial hearing in Washington with an easy smile, chatting up Mr. Manafort’s lawyer during a break in the action.

Friends describe Mr. Weissmann as relentless and boundary-grazing but fundamentally fair, a creative legal strategist whose hyperdiligence should not be confused with recklessness.

He is the prosecutor they would want if their relatives were charged with crimes they did not commit, they say, and the one they would dread if their family members were guilty.

“If there’s something to find, he’ll find it,” said Katya Jestin, a former colleague in the United States attorney’s office for the Eastern District of New York, who called Mr. Weissmann’s ethics unimpeachable. “If there’s nothing there, he’s not going to cook something up.”

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:13AM »

20 minute discussion between two NYT staff

Interesting assertions made...

-Trump org et al. have been absurdly corrupt bottom feeders for years. We tried to warn you!

-If the Russians really were trying to aid the Clinton campaign, why is the Trump admin so eager to advantage the Russians?

-One thinks a Mueller firing would finally break Trump's congressional support. The other thinks there would be some public handwringing and then back to tax cuts!

Robert Holmén

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:33AM »

From the usual fake news sources:

"Top Democrats on the Senate Intelligence Committee berated lawyers for social media giants Facebook Inc., Twitter Inc. and Google for a lethargic response to Russian interference in U.S. politics, as the companies’ lawyers faced a second day of grilling in Congress.

“Your first presentations were less than sufficient,” Mark Warner said at the panel’s hearing Wednesday, saying lawmakers were at first “blown off” by companies that in effect said, “Nothing like this happened. Nothing to see here,” only to later acknowledge that Russian efforts had reached perhaps as many as 150 million Americans.

Several senators chided the companies for sending their lawyers instead of their chief executive officers. “We would appreciate seeing the top people who are actually making the decisions,” said Senator Angus King or Maine, an independent who caucuses with Democrats. The committee’s leaders have said they wanted witnesses able to answer technical questions, not necessarily the CEOs.

Still, Facebook’s General Counsel Colin Stretch was dressed down when he was unable to tell Warner whether his company had cross-checked 30,000 fake accounts it took down before the French election to see if any had been active in the U.S."

Yet, Fox News, useful idiots that they are, continue to promote the Russian influence campaign. Vlad must be so pleased.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 04:21PM by Ellrod » Logged
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:38PM »

Remember when our resident parrot called the Russia stories'fake news' because no one had been indicted, so there was 'no wrongdoing'?

Now that we have a conviction (based on a guilty plea), serious indictments, and more to come, is that going to change? Just kidding, of course it won't. Just the excuse for calling it fake news will change.

The way you can spot people who don't think for themselves is that they don't change their minds when circumstances change.

I hate to pile on. Really I do.

But after reading the steady stream of insults he has thrown at liberals/democrats over this investigation I find it amusing that we haven't heard a peep out of the parrot. But then again I would be surprised if he popped in and admitted that he was wrong in his assertion that there was nothing to this and that is was just a waste of time and a witch hunt.

I guess it is hard to digest crow and type at the same time.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:47AM »

As of yet there is no proof that Russians were doing this at the explicit request of the Trump campaign.

However, it is an example of how easy it has become for a foreign power to manufacture fear and conflict inside the US.

Extraordinary

Heart of Texas, a Russian-controlled Facebook group that promoted Texas secession, leaned into an image of the state as a land of guns and barbecue and amassed hundreds of thousands of followers. One of their ads on Facebook announced a noon rally on May 21, 2016 to “Stop Islamification of Texas.”

A separate Russian-sponsored group, United Muslims of America, advertised a “Save Islamic Knowledge” rally for the same place and time.

On that day, protesters organized by the two groups showed up on Travis Street in downtown Houston, a scene that appeared on its face to be a protest and a counterprotest. Interactions between the two groups eventually escalated into confrontation and verbal attacks.

This is simply extraordinary. What I’ve learned separately is that this wasn’t some unknown thing. The scuffling and the two events were written up in most or all of the local papers.

Robert Holmén

Stan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 03, 2017, 11:28AM »

As of yet there is no proof that Russians were doing this at the explicit request of the Trump campaign.

I think the real question, which is likely already answered in the investigation and sealed, is whether or not Bannon and Kushner's data analytics operation with Cambridge Analytica assisted Russian propaganda in spreading those messages.  It's not whether Trump's campaign asked them for help (Trump himself did that on national television).  It's where the Russians got their data from.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:47PM »

“Our goal wasn't to turn Americans toward Russia. Our goal was to set Americans against their own government,” he said.

“To provoke unrest, provoke dissatisfaction, lower (Barack) Obama's rating.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alt-twitter-blogger-jenna-abrams-105338598.html

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:07PM »

Sad state we live in when citizens can be so easily manipulated.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:51PM »

On a slightly different topic, if Trump wants Hilary investigated, can he, or his trained chimp, Mr. Sessions, appoint a special persecuter?

Prosecutor. Yes, I know.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2017, 04:40PM »

On a slightly different topic, if Trump wants Hilary investigated, can he, or his trained chimp, Mr. Sessions, appoint a special persecuter?

Prosecutor. Yes, I know.

Well...

§ 600.1 Grounds for appointing a Special Counsel.

The Attorney General, or in cases in which the Attorney General is recused, the Acting Attorney General, will appoint a Special Counsel when he or she determines that criminal investigation of a person or matter is warranted and -

(a) That investigation or prosecution of that person or matter by a United States Attorney's Office or litigating Division of the Department of Justice would present a conflict of interest for the Department or other extraordinary circumstances; and

(b) That under the circumstances, it would be in the public interest to appoint an outside Special Counsel to assume responsibility for the matter.

So far there hasn't been a real plausible case that a criminal investigation is warranted considering that several congressional Benghazi investigations and all that Ken Starr stuff in the 90s came up with nothing.

It is telling that the Trump DOJ hasn't bothered with "Hillary"

I'm sure none of us would have trouble identifying a conflict of interest with the Trump DOJ vis-a-vis Hillary, but... What respectable prosecutor would do it? Who would want to come out of retirement or leave a good law practice just for a witch hunt that has already been thoroughly mined and debunked?

Besides Ken Starr, I mean?

Robert Holmén

Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 2017, 07:40PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-offers-12-million-in-assets-to-avoid-house-arrest/

Ah, to be rich. If only we all could just buy our way out of following our legal processes. Heaven forbid our political parties hire people who aren't worth millions. Yeah, RIGHT.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:45AM »

Sad state we live in when citizens can be so easily manipulated.

We should have let the South secede.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: