Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092555 Posts in 72291 Topics- by 19423 Members - Latest Member: juanito
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-Chat(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Worst Halloween treats?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worst Halloween treats?  (Read 725 times)
robcat2075

View Profile
« on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:26PM »

I think the most underwhelming Halloween treat I ever got was a page from a book of children's Bible stories.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Zandit75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:42PM »

Halloween isn't that big here in Australia, but I might give this a go next year!
EWadie99
The Curious One

"Bass Trombone! It's like a musical bazooka!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:04PM »

My younger brother got an invitation to go to church and I thought it was Jehovah's witness BS.  LOL

Ethan Wadie
Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Jazz Ensemble
Adlai E. Stevenson High School Wind Ensemble
Bones:
Conn 88H (Generation II)
Getzen 1062FD
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:11PM »

Plastic pumpkin?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/deer-head-freed-plastic-halloween-pumpkin-article-1.3599141

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2017, 05:09AM »

I got a toothbrush once...

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2017, 11:36AM »

My younger brother got an invitation to go to church and I thought it was Jehovah's witness BS.  LOL

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't allowed to celebrate anything, so that would make sense. I have a musician friend who's JW and he was the only available sub for a big Christmas party. He said he'd do it if it were just music and no ringing jingles or anything.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:05PM »

I got a toothbrush once...
And? So.......? :D
I gave out toothbrushes with candy.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:57PM »

I don’t recall any nonsense when I went trick or treating. Just candy the whole way through. I’m not so into hard candies so anything that wasn’t chocolate sometimes went wasted. I do like those fruit tootsie roll things, though.

I like that chocolate Brussels sprouts  Evil I’ll use that to trick some party guests.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
Bruce the budgie

"A burp is not a grace note."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:15PM »

I gave out toothbrushes with candy.
Yesterday forenoon I was checking in for my semi-annual scrape/polish and gum line sounding, and noticed the ladies at the front desk had furry cat ears on, with whiskers drawn on their cheeks. A kid came in wearing a tiger stripe plush coverall, and for a moment the felines outnumbered the ones identifying as human in the room. I saw a bowl of wrapped “fun size” candy, but no toothbrushes given out.

An hour later, the preschool Halloween walk was in full cry, sidewalks packed with strollers and toddlers and parental units going from shop to storefront, and one of the city’s finest in a bright green vest minding the crosswalk. That evening we had our lights on, but no kids came ringing the bell. Oh well, too far out of town, I guess. Their loss; I foresee a surplus of chocolate in my near-term diet. My housemates and I see eye to eye on the minimum standard required for Samhain treats.

My usual presentation involves a small cast-iron skillet, for a couple of reasons. I learned in Heinlein’s “Magic, Inc.” that cold iron is incompatible with shenanigans originating in the spirit world. More practically, it lets the wanderers take what they like from the offered array, without starting a feeding frenzy over the big bowl holding the overstock of the evening’s ration.
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:55PM »

One of my students (Vince Norman - wrap your head around that one) gave out raisins last night. I thought that was pretty funny. Personally I love raisins, but don't know many others that do.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2017, 05:15PM »

I always hated those taffies that came in black and orange wax paper, and were supposed to taste like peanut butter. Bleh.

"Passion is born from earnestness.
Miracles have value precisely because you cause them."
trombonejb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:27PM »

pencils
jalapeno

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:48PM »

I predict black liqourice wont be around much if at all in 50 yrs

Marmalade
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:50AM »

I predict black liqourice wont be around much if at all in 50 yrs

No no. Lots of people love black liquorice. It's good! I think it will always be around as a sort of specialty treat.

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
jalapeno

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:07AM »

No no. Lots of people love black liquorice. It's good! I think it will always be around as a sort of specialty treat.

I don’t thinks kids today exclaim with delight when they see black liqourice in their Halloween pumpkin container.

Their grandkids, probably even less so !

Is all I’m saying.

But they’ll still be drinking Jaegermeister !

Marmalade
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:11AM »

Now THERE'S a Halloween treat for the kiddies!

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2017, 07:24AM »

There's so much sugar in regular food these days it's made candy boring.

I can't find any reports on the recent growth or decline of licorice.  It does show up in one survey as something that some people like.

...50 percent of Americans prefer chocolate more than any other kind of candy. Across the nation the favorites are Snickers, M&Ms, Twix and Hershey’s Bars and Hershey’s Kisses. Of those surveyed 29 percent liked other candies including caramel, gummies, lollipops, hard candies, licorice, jellies and gum. Thirteen percent said they don’t like any of the candies listed.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:00PM »

More research...

Licorice comes in at #8 on "Least Popular"

10 Most Loved And Hated Halloween Candies

1 Circus peanuts. These soft orangey-pink chewy peanut-shaped confections ranked high atop the list of worst candies to give Halloween visitors.

2 Candy corn. There are people who can’t get enough candy corn – the buttery-flavored tri-colored candy pieces – and others (apparently the majority) who detest them.

3 Wax Coke bottles. These nostalgic little bottles require you to bite into the tasteless wax outer layer to get a taste of the

4 Necco Wafers. Many consumers surveyed mentioned the chalky taste and texture of these colored candy disks wrapped in wax paper.

5 Peanut butter kisses (aka Mary Janes). While there was some confusion about exactly what peanut butter kisses were, researchers believe these flat bars of peanutty candy are, in fact Mary Janes.

6 Tootsie Rolls. Considered the cheap option, because you get a lot in a bag, consumers didn’t love the dark chewy goodness that Tootsie Rolls offer.

7 Smarties. The problem with Smarties apparently wasn’t so much the taste, but the texture. And the abundance – kids get so many!

8 Licorice. Few people surveyed indicated a preference for black licorice, not to be confused with red Twizzlers, however.

9 Good & Plenty. Since Good & Plentys are licorice wrapped in a hard candy outer shell, it makes sense that they would be next on

10 Mary Janes. Mary Janes are so disliked that they actually appeared twice on this list. The consensus was that peanut butter-flavored treats should not be chewy.

I actually like circus peanuts

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:17PM »

Gee.  I must be really odd (well, I AM a trombone player after all).  I like licorice.  Especially a Dutch brand called Dubbel Zoutie.  They are salty, and the Dubbel Zoutie is twice as salty.  I also like Good and Plenty, Licorice all-sorts, and even Tootsie Rolls.

Necco Wafers date back to before the Civil War.  Necco stands for New England Confectionary Company, and the original building is near MIT in Cambridge.  They have a bunch of odd flavors to our modern tastes, but were really popular to Victorians.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: