Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092603 Posts in 72182 Topics- by 19441 Members - Latest Member: quicklier
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ended up with boxes of salon music  (Read 204 times)
gregs70

View Profile
« on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:58PM »

Found somebody selling old stock big band arrangements (Warrington, etc.) and he begged me to take the boxes of maybe 150 pieces of salon music he had.  He said it all came from an NBC orchestra in Cleveland.  It is in German.  I pulled two out at random.  Once piece dated 1934 had Piano-Direction, Basso, Clarinetto I in B, Violino I, Tromba, Harmonioum, Violino obbligato, Oboe I, Violincello, Trombone III, Batteria, Flauto I.  It seems to be missing a lot of parts.  Another had Piccolo, Oboe II, Clarinet II, Harmonium, Violine Obligat, Trompete I in B, Singstimme, Violine I, Alt-Saxophone I in Es, Piano-Direktion, Alt-Saxophon III in Es, Bab (that one is bass cleff - is it Bass?), Posuane III, Klarinette I in B, Tenor-Saxophon II in B, Cello, and Schlagzeug. 

I found a little about this music on line.  One CD set said "Relive the golden age of palm court salon music with over 2 hours of tangos, waltzes and charming opera and operetta melodies, played in the style that was the height of fashion in the grand European cafés of the early twentieth century."

Does anybody have any more info they can share with me on this music?  Does anybody have any interest in it?  It is oddball but deserves a good home.

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
Greg Waits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2017, 09:36PM »

Nice!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2017, 03:39AM »

There are a number of groups that specialize in this kind of music.  Look up the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra.  I modeled an ensemble on them from my Orchestra to play an antique car show (wish I could find another gig for them).  Our arrangements are a little different from yours, often based on small orchestra or Theater Orchestra.  We had Violins I-II, viola, cello, Flute, Clarinet, 2 Cornets, trombone, tuba/Bass, and percussion.

The eclectic nature of your parts may indicate that a lot of the musicians were heavy doublers, something not terribly common today.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2017, 07:05AM »

There are a number of groups that specialize in this kind of music.  Look up the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra.  I modeled an ensemble on them from my Orchestra to play an antique car show (wish I could find another gig for them).  Our arrangements are a little different from yours, often based on small orchestra or Theater Orchestra.  We had Violins I-II, viola, cello, Flute, Clarinet, 2 Cornets, trombone, tuba/Bass, and percussion.

The eclectic nature of your parts may indicate that a lot of the musicians were heavy doublers, something not terribly common today.

Thanks!  The first piece on my list had "Picc., Fl. 2 Ob., 2 Clar., 2 Fag., 4 Cor., 2 Tr., 3 Trbni, Batt. & Archi" on top of a line, and below was "Viol. obbl., Harm. & Piano".  Like I said, some were missing.  They guy I got them from said he played reeds, he didn't say sax, so yes doubling was likely. 

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: