Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087048 Posts in 71973 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) The aging trombonist (and how to do it gracefully)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The aging trombonist (and how to do it gracefully)  (Read 1745 times)
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:11AM »

You can't do it gracefully. It will be hard hard work. After age 50 you have to run twice as fast as you can , just to stand still effortlessly.

Brass players older than myself warned me. The trumpet players I worked with got up at 4AM to warm up at 5AM for 10AM church service gigs. That was a huge help, that advice.

I have friends that need to warm up (much) longer. This seems to be a result of not practising daily. One good friend currently sounds like poop for 20 minutes into a rehearsal, then things get better.

I know 75 year olds that just sit down and play at a pro level. I wonder how much time they play every day. Some people may age differently, or they have figured something out.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno bass (both played regularly) , '74 Bach 42B, Yamaha 322 bass
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:15AM »

In our community band, we go through several minutes of chorale warmups before we start rehearsing. That might not be enough for all, but at least it's a start.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:22AM »

While there may be a wide spectrum of what, if anything, constitutes a warm-up for us; there certainly is no harm in it.

Mine seems to be fluid; sometimes none needed and sometimes I can't seem to get warmed up until rehearsal is almost done and then I wish it could go on for another hour. Biorhythms?

...Geezer
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:39AM »

My playing time is like a cell phone with limited limits. Do I spend my minutes warming up, or playing?

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:05AM »

My playing time is like a cell phone with limited limits. Do I spend my minutes warming up, or playing?

This gets back to what Bonesmarsh said. If your face time is limited to a fixed number of minutes, aging brass players could very well have limited results. You may or may not be playing enough to reach your former level. Some players have the dedication to put in the time necessary to play at a level they consider to be acceptable.

On the other side of this, some retirees continue to play at a pro level. At our last big band rehearsal, Russ Little (formerly lead of the Boss Brass) did a good read of Urbie's A Very Precious Love. He is 76. There are a number of high Cs, Ds, and a couple of Es in there. Russ is just a naturally talented guy

Other people take up other instruments. If they stay with brass, they move from trumpet to trombone, or trombone to tuba.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno bass (both played regularly) , '74 Bach 42B, Yamaha 322 bass
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:14AM »

Ha! I feel the same about my very highest notes. If your band wants me to play IGSOY, then you best put it up front!   :-0

...Geezer
W/SBTRB

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:44AM »

I am 63 years old and have the following:
Parkinson's Disease
Diabetic
Macro Degenerative Disease
SKin Cancer Squamous Cell removed this summer

I still actcively play my trombone
I still teach
I golf.
Nothing has changed.

I go about my day as a normal person. I played a recital in August playing among others Spillman COncerto and WIlder Sonata, and Vivaldi Concerto. I refuse to stop.

Ron Smith, D.M. A
Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Piedmont International University, Winston-Salem, NC
Orchestra Director, Grace Baptist Church
Luke 9:23
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:20AM »

Another age-related reason I play less (and play worse for it) is that I have more interests now. Some are musical, others not at all, but I like them and they all take time to pursue if i want to do them well.

When trombone was one of few interests it was possible to spend hours a day practicing.  But now it is just one of many.  I enjoy the other things partly because they are new, whereas trombone is mostly going to be retreading old ground for me.

I did bands and orchestras for years, that scene is not going to change. I'm looking for new things to do.

I identify with much of this. Right now, I'm at rehearsals on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights, with some Friday/Sat rehearsals, and a few Sat/Sun gigs coming up. We live in the suburbs, so there's lots of driving (and time wasted in traffic). I play some guitar, which requires practice, albeit less than trombone. Oh yes, job and family also. I also try to get some exercise here and there. There are only so many hours in the day and, frankly, the dilithium crystals are beginning to run a little low.
Nanook

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:42AM »

[ frankly, the dilithium crystals are beginning to run a little low.
[/quote]

Captain I'm givin ya everything I've got... :)

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”-Frank Zappa
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:49AM »

I don't think I can take anymore.
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:51PM »

I am 63 years old and have the following:
Parkinson's Disease
Diabetic
Macro Degenerative Disease
SKin Cancer Squamous Cell removed this summer

I still actcively play my trombone
I still teach
I golf.
Nothing has changed.

I go about my day as a normal person. I played a recital in August playing among others Spillman COncerto and WIlder Sonata, and Vivaldi Concerto. I refuse to stop.

BRAVO !!!!

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: