Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087266 Posts in 72010 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentAccessories(Moderator: slide advantage) Practice mute more free blowing and more loud than bremner
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Practice mute more free blowing and more loud than bremner  (Read 694 times)
Dixieland57

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:53AM »

Is a bucket mute heavy?
And how much does it cut the sound ? Half?
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:30AM »

I actually disagree on the bucket mute myself.  I have experience with the Jo Ral style though, not the kind that clamp onto the bell. They're heavy and change the balance of the instrument too much to be used for any length of time... at least in my opinion.  I also don't like the first iteration of the Yamaha Silent brass for a similar reason. It stuck out so far that it made playing for long than a few minutes a real chore for me.

Bucket mutes also don't really take much off the sound either... although they do seem to reduce the "cutting" over tones so you can kind of play a little louder because the sound won't penetrate through walls as much as something like a Best Brass or a straight mute.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:59AM »

Is a bucket mute heavy?

It's true. It is heavy, but weight wasn't one of the parameters of the question.  :D

Due to an ebay mishap I actually use a Euphonium bucket mute and it's extra heavy.

Simple solution...

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:20PM »

Yeah, the bucket mute is not the answer. I use the Easy Bucket, which is good as a bucket, but I wouldn't use it for anything else. I'm telling you, the Yamaha Silent Brass is the thing. The second generation that is small, not the one that looks like a bowling pin.

If you want a mute to be more free blowing, drill a couple holes in it.
Dixieland57

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:05AM »

Are the voigt mute and the maslet the same?
SKAzz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 07:42 AM »

I have both the Bremmer Sshhhhmute, and the yamaha silent brass.  Without using the headphones, Bremmer is the way to go.  The yamaha is odd by itself.

The key to using both of these is to not play above a mezzoforte.  otherwise your chops aren't really getting proper practice and keeping their shape due to backpressure. 

these mutes aren't meant to be fully utilized at higher volumes.

-Chris
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: