Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087082 Posts in 71982 Topics- by 19233 Members - Latest Member: Midnight1961
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Something's buzzing, and it's not me  (Read 801 times)
Malec Heermans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:20AM »

I'd flat out say forget about the idea of the inner & outer tubes buzzing against each other,  I'm 99.9999% sure that will not happen!

Possible that the end of the lead pipe isn't fitted well to the inner tube.

More than likely it will be an unsoldered or loose brace or solder connection.

Eric

The way the yamaha leadpipes are constructed I don't think this would be an issue. They have a nickel sleeve near the receiver and a corresponding receiver piece - it's a very solid feeling connection.

Is it not possible that because these horns are constructed a little beefier early in the system and with a very light bell that it could be an unsoldered bell wire? Usually when I've heard about ringing bells and buzzes it's on old Conns - with an unsoldered bead.

malecheermans.com
Shires T25/7GM8/7YM/Rotor - Hammond 12ML
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:11AM »

I forgot the leadpipes are two piece.  It would be odd for two of them to be defective but I suppose it is possible the robot slipped that day?  ;-)  It might sound ridiculous, maybe try playing with no leadpipe? You can use a large shank mouthpiece. If it gives you the same sound, its not the leadpipe. If it does, its probably the leadpipe.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Stan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:18PM »

OK.  I can confirm that when holding the slide brace, if I put pressure on the inner slide via the outer slide in any direction, the sound stops.  Surely if it was something loose, a little pressure on the slide in any direction wouldn’t stop it?
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:50PM »

I would say that's a good start toward isolating it - in the slide, and not the bell.  Have somebody else grab the outer slide in different places, and the inner slide barrels, slide lock, and grip area, paying close attention to every soldered joint including the flanges.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:18AM »

OK.  I can confirm that when holding the slide brace, if I put pressure on the inner slide via the outer slide in any direction, the sound stops.  Surely if it was something loose, a little pressure on the slide in any direction wouldn’t stop it?

This comment is unrelated to your problem, but I'll mention it anyway.

If it buzzes in 3rd but not 6th, it could be side pressure that stops it.  You seem to confirm that.  You might be able to look at your slide technique in the outer positions and see if you can get it more straight line. 

Tim Richardson
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:49AM »

I would say that's a good start toward isolating it - in the slide, and not the bell.  Have somebody else grab the outer slide in different places, and the inner slide barrels, slide lock, and grip area, paying close attention to every soldered joint including the flanges.

The 891Z is not a dual bore so you could turn the slide upside down and see if that does the trick.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2017, 02:11AM »

The 891Z is not a dual bore so you could turn the slide upside down and see if that does the trick.

/Tom

Clever.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
Stan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2017, 03:36AM »

So it’s definitely something stuck inside a tube, because I managed to make it worse.  High D in 3rd position did it, and all of a sudden the ring turned into a full-on rattle.  I’m seeking a warranty claim to resolve the issue. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: