Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087267 Posts in 72010 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Butter in coffee, etc  (Read 217 times)
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:06AM »

I have been reading about different ways to make coffee. I use a french press most of the time.

The other day I realized I was out of milk. I did have some heavy whipping cream in the fridge. Wow! Nectar of the Gods. With a little raw sugar added it was delicious.

Sometime ago I heard about people putting butter in their coffee. At first the idea sounded disgusting. But really, milk, whipping cream and butter all come from the cow anyway.

I tried it. Not bad.

It was suggested that I go with clarified butter (ghee). I bought some last night. This morning's coffee was great.

Beyond that, some people use coconut oil too. I haven't tried that yet.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:16AM »

My wife used to do the coffee up with butter and amino acids as a barista back in the day. It was called "brain coffee" or something. Seemed like some kind of bourgeoisie faux health nut kind of drink.

She said it was not tasty, but that might have been the aminos. I have had tibetan style tea with butter and sugar and it's outstanding, so I bet butter coffee is good too!

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:35AM »

The Sami people of the Lapland region put Caribou (reindeer) fat or reindeer milk cheese into their coffee.  Mmmmmm .. reindeer fat! 

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:40AM »

That is my breakfast every day. I use Ghee + MCT (of the Coconut variety) oil.  The first week I was miserably hungry for breakfast but now I can go until 2-3PM without eating anything else... although the DST switch really messed up my circadian clock this year.

If you do Ghee, I recommend Vanilla Ghee. This brand in particular works well for me. But others may work better if you're putting other things in your coffee. Mine is part of a low-carb/high fat diet so I don't use any sugars/sweeteners so what works for me might not be optimal if you're used to that!

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:47AM »

I don't bother with ghee.  You need to if you're going to make a roux, otherwise it burns.  But for coffee I just use straight butter.  Ghee takes out some solids but also boils off the water - coffee is mostly water anyway, so there is little advantage.

I have a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee every morning while I do my morning routine. 

I have a French press but it's lots easier to make cold brew concentrate in a mason jar and keep it in the refrigerator.   I add water and nuke a cup every morning. 

Tim Richardson
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:06AM »

I don't bother with ghee.  You need to if you're going to make a roux, otherwise it burns.  But for coffee I just use straight butter.  Ghee takes out some solids but also boils off the water - coffee is mostly water anyway, so there is little advantage.

I have a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee every morning while I do my morning routine. 

I have a French press but it's lots easier to make cold brew concentrate in a mason jar and keep it in the refrigerator.   I add water and nuke a cup every morning. 

That basically sums up my routine as well!   Just switched to Mason  jars a few weeks ago  actually. I do use ghee though, because of the lactose. No problems with ghee but butter always gives me trouble.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2017, 12:00PM »

What if we fed the cow... coffee?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: