Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087082 Posts in 71982 Topics- by 19233 Members - Latest Member: Midnight1961
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumClassified AdvertisementsClassified Advertisements(Moderator: slide advantage) FS: Slokar solo tenor trombone w/ 9 Bell $1250
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FS: Slokar solo tenor trombone w/ 9 Bell $1250  (Read 346 times)
choward

View Profile
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:33AM »

I got this trombone 12 years ago and used it as my main horn in high school and through my college auditions/freshman year. It has some lacquer wear on the slide and some dents in the bell. The slide is an 8/10 and could easily be a 10/10 with some tlc. The horn plays and sounds great, Id rather it get played than continue to gather dust!

Pictures at link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pNQHICCZhcnZxZIDjuD_1gkD6qL309Wh
Hammer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11:43AM »

This is my first time hearing of this brand of horn, but I assume that something coming from Kuhnl & Hoyer is wonderful. When I looked it up, it said the interesting bend of the tuning bow makes for having a very open high register and eliminates disturbance reflections. Would you be able to shed some light on this with your own experience, and possible comparison to other horns?

Nothing's impossible, just mathematically improbable.
NateR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:42AM »

Hey Hammer,

I'm holding onto this horn for the OP and played it last night for a bit, so I thought I'd write in with some thoughts.

I have no idea what a "Disturbance reflection" is. Maybe someone else will chime in with that knowledge. I can only comment on how it plays.

This horn plays and responds easily and evenly. Everything feels very centered without much effort, and I like that. The 9" bell gives a broadness to the sound. The valve register is good too (I think the 9" bell helps to make this register sound a little bigger than a traditional tenor rotor). It reminds me of an 88h in terms of the color palette available to you.

As for the high range being more open? High D's and E-flats come out fine, as you'd expect on any well-built instrument. This horn won't replace upper register practice, but no horn will.

Cosmetically, it looks fair, but it plays and sounds great and has a lot of years left in it.

Nate
choward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:52AM »

I can confirm what NateR is saying. He does have the horn currently. And what I remember of playing the horn it sounds in line with his assessment. The upper register on the horn is open like you would expect from a well built instrument. The horn has seen better days cosmetically but still plays like the day I got it.

Christian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: