Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088974 Posts in 71981 Topics- by 19325 Members - Latest Member: StanKenton69
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Queensland State Election  (Read 334 times)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 02:07PM »

This is an interesting day here in Queensland because we have to cast our vote for our local candidate in the State Election. Voting is compulsory and uses a preferential system whereby you have to number all the candidates in your electorate with your choice.

We have five candidates and it is very interesting the way the major parties have requested you number these choices so that your preferences do not influence the result they want. This is mainly because of the return of Pauline Hanson's One Nation party, which can very much influence who will be the next Queensland State Government. Pauline is to the right of Trump and against migration from Muslim countries and from most places in Asia. She is not standing herself, because she is already a senator in the Australian Parliament in Canberra. But she has been travelling around Queensland in a bus to support her local State candidates.

In my electorate of the Redlands we have an old LNP member standing as an independent. He is best known for being dumped by his party after a extra marital affair and sexting scandal, when he sent images showing his penis in a glass of red wine, earning him the nickname Peter the Plonker. :D  I will be voting Labor but it is interesting that they have this independent in third position out of five on their recommended voting order, in an effort to make sure our preferences do not go to Pauline.

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/5058489/queensland-election-2017-redlands-candidates-have-their-say/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-25/qld-election-state-go-to-the-polls/9191428

Better get started because there is no parking around the community hall where we have to vote. Yeah, RIGHT.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2017, 07:10PM »

Voting is compulsory and uses a preferential system whereby you have to number all the candidates in your electorate with your choice.

We have five candidates and it is very interesting the way the major parties have requested you number these choices so that your preferences do not influence the result they want.

What is the scheme? Do you put your choice #1 and then follow some arranged order for the rest?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2017, 07:53PM »

Yep, each party recommends the order you are to vote. We had had five candidates in our area and you must number them #1 to #5. If you do not do that, your vote is counted as informal.

Most commentators think that the flow of One Nation preferences will determine the outcome in the south-east of the state, and if that turns into a general swing towards Labor then Labor is well positioned to be the largest party, if not majority government.

The great fear the Labor party has is that the Liberals will join with One Nation to form government and put Labor out of power.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:13PM »

It could be days before we get a positive result for the Queensland State election, although Labor leader and incumbent Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says she remains confident the ALP will form a majority government. Good!

There was a definite move by voters away from the major parties but I am very pleased to say that it does not look like One Nation will get more than one seat - if that. They will therefor not hold the balance of power, which would have been catastrophic.

In my area of the Redlands, barring any late swings, the Labor Party has won the knife-edge seat, which is a change from previously and endorses my vote.:D  I think Peter the Plonker did us favour by splitting up the Liberal vote. But also there was some other electioneering nastiness with a woman complaining to police on Friday night that she was man-handled by the standing federal LNP MP Andrew Laming. Peter the Plonker said he had some scuffles with him also.

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/5080540/confrontation-alleged-at-redlands-electorate-polling-booth/?cs=213

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:25PM »

We still do not have anywhere near a final vote count. 5 minutes ago 76.6% had been counted as follows:

Australian Labor Party (ALP) - 44 seats, with 47 predicted
Liberal National Party (LNP) - 36 seats, with 40 predicted
Others (Greens, Katter, ON)  -  4 seats, with 6 predicted

To win a majority government in their own right, a party has to get 47 seats. So it does look like Labor is likely to win. So much so, that the Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is already back at work and managing the State affairs until the count is completed.

Some former conservative MPs are blaming the LNP failure, in part, on the merger of Queensland's Liberal and National parties, and their favourable preferencing of One Nation.

Personally, I am hugely relieved that Labor succeeded in keeping One Nation from holding the balance of power. I think that in Federal politics, our PM will have to realise that any association with One Nation is toxic and he had better break the ties he has established. Not that he can because he often needs their vote. Evil

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:40PM »

It is taking a very long time for all the votes to be counted and I think this is due to the preference system.

Anyway, LNP leader Tim Nicholls has now conceded defeat in our Queensland election, nearly two weeks after voters went to the polls.

Tim phoned Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk a short time ago and this now paves the way for her to go to the Governor and form a government, albeit with a slim majority. Actually this cannot happen until the Electoral Commission has declared the results in 47 seats — the requirement for a majority. It has currently only declared 45. They must be running out of fingers or something. Yeah, RIGHT.

Tim Nicholls also has advised on Twitter that he will not contest the leadership ballot when the LNP's party room meets next week. He said, "It is time for a new generation of LNP leaders".

Grah

And climb on every rung
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:12PM »

What happened to Peter the Plonker?  Did they make him drink the plonk?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:27PM »

The declared vote for the Redlands by percentage is as follows:

Kim Richards - Australian Labor Party - 32.29%
Matt Mceachan - Liberal National Party - 31.76%
Jason Quick - One Nation - 17.71%
Peter (Plonker) Dowling - 9.73%
David Keogh - Greens - 8.51%

As you can see, Peter Dowling did not do very well. His history was that in August 2013 he stood aside as chair of the Parliamentary Ethics Committee after it was revealed he sent explicit text messages and images, including a picture of his penis in a glass of red wine, to a former mistress, who had them published. Eeek! Before the current election he said, "The community will decide and, at the end of the day, if they say 'no thanks Peter' that'll be fine. I'll move on with the next chapter of my life." Since he is no longer married :D , I guess that is what he will do. Before entering politics he was a labourer, painter and decorator. So, perhaps he'll become a tradie again? I'm not sure if that is a life promotion or demotion. :D

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:38PM »

And the very latest news on the election is that Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has now visited the Governor Paul de Jersey after winning the Queensland election, with Labor securing at least 47 seats and majority government. Good! The meeting only lasted 15 minutes.

She is the first female Premier in Australia to be returned to office at an election.

She will address the media later this afternoon.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:44PM »

I guess, to more or less conclude this topic, I should advise that Annastacia Palaszczuk's new Labor government was sworn in at Government House on Tuesday November 12, 2017. Good! Her team is made up of 25 men and 23 women.

This all a bit of history for Australia as Annastacia Palaszczuk is the first woman to be elected twice as premier.

And the Liberal National Party's has taken a page out of Labor's book by appointing Deb Frecklington as their new leader. She has thrown out a challenge to Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, saying it is "game on".

Grah

And climb on every rung
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: