Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092463 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: gold rim  (Read 2758 times)
Nanook

View Profile
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 03:15PM »

So I'm thinking about asking for a gold rimmed mouth piece for Christmas...Bach 6 3/4 from Global Band Supply out of San Jose Calif. It goes for $133 including shipping...Has anyone done business with this outfit? and is this a fair price? Other suggestions of where I might purchase one would be appreciated...

Nanook

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”-Frank Zappa
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2017, 03:34PM »

Anderson Silver Plating, in Elkhart, IN

Maximilien Brisson
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2017, 05:09PM »

Switch to Doug  Elliott mouthpieces.  You can keep your favourite configuration and change rim material at will.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2017, 05:50PM »

Anderson Silver Plating, in Elkhart, IN

I've been under the impression that Anderson doesn't do singles.  You'd have to have a tech send it out with a bunch of others.

There is an outfit called "Goldchops" that plates rims.  Seem to have mixed reviews on here.

Mouthpiece Express offers both gold rim and full gold plate versions for about the same cost.  I've seen them on Ebay for between $125 and $150.  You can get a new 6 3/4 C that way.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2017, 06:19PM »

I would send a mouthpiece that I know I like to Stork for plating...

Holton bass trombones...
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:19AM »

Stork, Hammond, and Doing Elliott seem to get consistently good reviews about the quality of their gold plating. They don't do the plating themselves but send batches to be plated and do prep work. I've used Doug in the past and the plating quality was very good. Price should be south of $133 although maybe the price of gold has risen a lot recently.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:29AM »

I've been under the impression that Anderson doesn't do singles.  You'd have to have a tech send it out with a bunch of others.

When I was having my mouthpieces plated, I did get a quote from them for a single piece. Of course that was 6 or 7 years ago, so this might have changed.

In retrospect, I should have gone with them rather than try to save money buy having it done locally. The plating I got didn't last. Anderson will strip the existing plating, buff the piece and replate the whole thing. More costly but the plating holds. They will plate over existing finish, but will not offer a warranty on the end result.

Maximilien Brisson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:00AM »

Here's the thing. Say I have a mpc I really like, so I want to have the rim gold-plated. I could simply buy it new that way, but how the heck would I know if I would like it as well as the silver-plated one? Doesn't that fear kinda back us into having one we really like stripped and gold-plated?

...Geezer
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:20AM »

Here's the thing. Say I have a mpc I really like, so I want to have the rim gold-plated. I could simply buy it new that way, but how the heck would I know if I would like it as well as the silver-plated one? Doesn't that fear kinda back us into having one we really like stripped and gold-plated?

...Geezer

...which also might completely change the mouthpiece.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:27AM »

...which also might completely change the mouthpiece.

True.

John, is there a particular reason you want the rim gold plated? (also, rim only, not rim and cup?)

Maximilien Brisson
Nanook

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:30AM »

...Geezer

I get it, but I've only been on this MP for a little over a year, and I don't think I'm really good enough yet to tell the small difference...I do like a slippery mouth piece, and I heard gold rims are a bit more slippery... I sent an e mail off to Anderson, they seem to know their stuff, I'll let you guys know what they say about doing a single MP...Also my wife is thrilled that I asked for something for Christmas, and I wouldn't want to disappoint the wife...I'm  doing the cup also

Nanook

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:55AM »

If someone has been on the horn for 20 years or more, then a different mpc of the exact same size might have this, that or another thing "wrong" with it. But for us lessers, we would probably just make the adjustment and honk on. Maybe same for one we have & like that gets stripped & re-plated.

Anyway, if Nanook thinks he likes the slippy feel of a gold rim, what the heck. After all, he is doing it for his wife. What a guy!

Thank you! You have inspired me! MY wife is getting a new laptop for gaming but I - like you - didn't want anything. However, I just ordered myself a Bach 12 rim gold-plated mpc for use with my newly-refinished King 2B. I don't care much one way or the other about the slippy feel of a gold rim. I just wanted it so that - with the newly refinished King 2B and black leather hand grips, it will look totally bad-ass. I'm going for the "look".  Way cool

...Geezer
Nanook

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2017, 01:11PM »

I heard back from Anderson, here's what they sent me....I decided to go with Mouthpiece express $117 including new bach MP and shipping and tax....

Good afternoon John
    The starting estimate to strip , buff , silver plate with gold rim & cup
is $ 115 plus shipping & handling.
The turn around time is 2 - 4 weeks depending on in house work load &
holidays.
We will be doing shop maintenance the last week of Dec. thru Jan. 2 .
We will still be here to accept boxes and we open them in the order they are
received.
Just make sure to put your contact info in the box along with what you want
done and ship here to;
Anderson Silver Plating
541 Industrial Parkway
Elkhart IN 46516
Thanks Tony
ASP
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2017, 06:50PM by Nanook » Logged

Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:10PM »

I heard back from Anderson, here's what they went me....I decided to go with Mouthpiece express $117 including new bach MP and shipping and tax....

Good afternoon John
    The starting estimate to strip , buff , silver plate with gold rim & cup
is $ 115 plus shipping & handling.
The turn around time is 2 - 4 weeks depending on in house work load &
holidays.
We will be doing shop maintenance the last week of Dec. thru Jan. 2 .
We will still be here to accept boxes and we open them in the order they are
received.
Just make sure to put your contact info in the box along with what you want
done and ship here to;
Anderson Silver Plating
541 Industrial Parkway
Elkhart IN 46516
Thanks Tony
ASP

Interesting! I just found the quote they sent me when I was having my stuff plated. August 2011, $125. Oddly, their price went down, after 6 years. Surprising

Maximilien Brisson
Wasatch Oz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:43PM »

Interesting thread... Just last week I decided to re-plate and put some gold down.

There's a place in SLC, UT that has a reputation for good plating. And they plate mouthpieces all the time. I believe they are the sub-contractor to some other online companies that send them in.

I had three 6 1/2AL's laying around, so last week I went in and spent 30 minutes talking about the thickness of the sliver plate they'll put down and the thickness of the gold that will go on top of the silver --as well as where I wanted it masked.

Economy of scale, to strip, buff/polish, re-silver plate and then gold plate the rim/bowl it was $110 for two. And $150 for 3. He said all the time is in the buffing/prep work and if they are set up to do two, it is easier to do a 3rd.

It'll be interesting to see how they look and feel when the come back.

All that said, there's nothing like the certainty in buying one new, from a source where you know what you're going to get.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:47AM »

I don't blame anyone for getting the best price quote they can get. Personally, I don't know about switching to a gold-plated rim. I might not like it, so I prefer to take it one mpc at a time.

...Geezer
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:36AM »

Interesting thread... Just last week I decided to re-plate and put some gold down.

There's a place in SLC, UT that has a reputation for good plating. And they plate mouthpieces all the time. I believe they are the sub-contractor to some other online companies that send them in.

I had three 6 1/2AL's laying around, so last week I went in and spent 30 minutes talking about the thickness of the sliver plate they'll put down and the thickness of the gold that will go on top of the silver --as well as where I wanted it masked.

Economy of scale, to strip, buff/polish, re-silver plate and then gold plate the rim/bowl it was $110 for two. And $150 for 3. He said all the time is in the buffing/prep work and if they are set up to do two, it is easier to do a 3rd.

It'll be interesting to see how they look and feel when the come back.

All that said, there's nothing like the certainty in buying one new, from a source where you know what you're going to get.

I needed the services of a local gold plater for my job and decided to see if he could do mouthpieces.  He told me his shop had a $150 minimum, but they would be $45 each.  So one, two, or three would be $150 while four would be $180.  I didn't have enough to make three, much less four so I let that one go.  He did a nice job on the electrodes I needed, though.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Wasatch Oz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:46AM »

I needed the services of a local gold plater for my job and decided to see if he could do mouthpieces.  He told me his shop had a $150 minimum, but they would be $45 each.  So one, two, or three would be $150 while four would be $180.  I didn't have enough to make three, much less four so I let that one go.  He did a nice job on the electrodes I needed, though.

Yeah, I didn't think about a minimum, and of course most shops will have one. That makes it even more challenging to get just one done, locally.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:16PM »

I don't blame anyone for getting the best price quote they can get. Personally, I don't know about switching to a gold-plated rim. I might not like it, so I prefer to take it one mpc at a time.

...Geezer
Try one Geezer.  They are pretty nice.  For me they are, umm ... 30% better than silver.  Not enough for me to part with the extra for a new gold plated piece, but I certainly favor them if fortune provides me with a choice.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:01AM »

Try one Geezer.  They are pretty nice.  For me they are, umm ... 30% better than silver.  Not enough for me to part with the extra for a new gold plated piece, but I certainly favor them if fortune provides me with a choice.

I have a Bach 12 on order. I should get it in a couple of weeks. If I like it, then next up would be a Bach 7. I like switching rim sizes. When I do, it feels like my chops are on holiday from the previous rim size; like switching from loafers to running shoes and back. Both feel good, but it's nice to have different choices for different occasions. Same with horns.

I am optimistic I will like the gold rim on a Bach b/c I liked it on a mpc from a different manufacturer; I just didn't like the mpc. Not much for me to go on in making this decision, but enough. AND I really like the look of the gold-rimmed mpcs. That has to count for something! lol

...Geezer
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: