Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097000 Posts in 72561 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Music scanning and reading apps  (Read 1713 times)
Geordie

View Profile
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:32AM »

Hello

I know we have had similar discussions but given the speed of technological changes I'm looking for some updated info please.

Am considering using an app for reading charts off an iPad.  Looking for recommendations for the best app that can allow me to scan in and read on an iPad screen on stage, mainly indoors.  Ability to use a Bluetooth foot pedal and write on the charts on screen would be helpful.  A bonus would be the ability to scan charts and export as .xml to my Windows system so I can manipulate them in Musescore. A play back feature would be nice too, but is of least priority.

What is your experience and advice?  Is it worth the time and trouble to convert?  Comments and suggestions all gratefully received.

Life is not a rehearsal
JESimmons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:12AM »

As for reading from an iPad, I use UnReal Book. It has the added feature of syncing with Luther iPads so that the group leader can bring up a piece, and itís done be all the iPads synced.  However, it uses PDFs, so you need to use a regular scanning program to scan the music. Of course, you canít change the PDFs in Musescore.

Olds O-21
1955 Conn 6h
1967 Conn 88h
1974 Holton TR-180
Edwards B454
Kelly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:16AM »

ForeScore without a doubt.

Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them.

David Hume
    --Essays

Kelly
harrison.t.reed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017, 07:01AM »

I have been looking for a replacement for photoscore for ages. Haven't found one....

Edwards Tenor
Conn Alto
Griego Mouthpiece
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2017, 07:19AM »

ForeScore without a doubt.

I've been using this software with my iPad 12.9 ever since they released the iPad 12.9. I've downloaded around a thousand songs for all my bands and it works perfectly.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:22AM »

I've stored the sheet music for all the groups with which I play (and then some) on a 12.9" iPad ever since the device first shipped.  My desktop scanner has been in mothballs ever since I discovered that it's faster and easier to use ScannerPro on my iPhone (or iPad) to scan the originals (the Notes app also supports document scanning in iOS 11, but ScannerPro does a better job in several ways.)  When a new chart is passed out in rehearsal or on the bandstand I can scan it into the iPad on the spot.

I also use forScore for some applications (specifically for linking lead sheets to backing tracks in my iTunes Library), but I use a general purpose document viewer called GoodReader to store my main library.  I chose GoodReader for two reasons:  it supports hierarchical folders, and it syncs with the "official" copy of my library on my Mac with a single tap.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
Geordie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:01AM »

Thanks for the comments - things to think about before I commit time and money.

Life is not a rehearsal
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:28AM »

As I wrote earlier, I retired my desktop scanner some time ago in favor of the ScannerPro app on my iPhone.  When I searched online recently for a stand to hold the phone while I served as a human sheet feeder for longer documents, it occurred to me that I already have a small tripod and a tripod mount for a phone.  I tried it out and it works like a charm, as shown in a short video I made for a discussion in another forum.  ScannerPro automagically identifies the rectangle of the document, takes the shot, corrects for keystoning, and optionally uploads the final product in JPG or PDF format to Dropbox. The scan created eliminates the shadows, imperfections, etc. that are clearly visible in an ordinary photograph.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:33AM »

I use ScannerPro as well and it is fantastic! Very quick and easy with great results. The resulting PDF's work great in forScore.
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:17AM »

Has the speed of technology leapt past the problems of copyright protection?

On the one hand a lot of what people talk about seems clearly in violation.

On the other hand we're in a bit of a new world here with what is available. 

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just asking. 

Tim Richardson
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:39AM »

1000%.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:43PM »

Nobody's going to come and cuff you for making scans for personal use.  Making scans and posting them on IMSLP (or some other sharing site) is quite another matter.

Yes, copyright laws are about a generation behind the technology and need to be updated.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:48PM »

Nobody's going to come and cuff you for making scans for personal use.  Making scans and posting them on IMSLP (or some other sharing site) is quite another matter.

Yes, copyright laws are about a generation behind the technology and need to be updated.

That's actually good to know b/c I photocopy ALL of my outside music for my own personal use - marking it up with crayons and such. You should see the look of horror on band-mates' faces sometimes until I explain to them that it is a photocopy (or Zerox - as we used to say).

Perhaps the way I play it is a crime, though!  Evil

...Geezer

This is a pretty darn good discussion Forum (as they go). But as far as actual playing advice is concerned, don't let it take the place of an instructor you can relate to one-on-one.
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:03PM »

That's actually good to know b/c I photocopy ALL of my outside music for my own personal use - marking it up with crayons and such. You should see the look of horror on band-mates' faces sometimes until I explain to them that it is a photocopy (or Zerox - as we used to say).

Perhaps the way I play it is a crime, though!  Evil

...Geezer

If you copy your band music for practice material at home, I don't see an issue. 

Photocopies for performance are a different story.  Clearly illegal. 

Tim Richardson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:08PM »

If you copy your band music for practice material at home, I don't see an issue. 

I'm doomed anyway. But you young kids out there - take heed!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm. So I guess the same goes for material scanned onto (or into) tablets and then used at performances, eh? After all, that is a form of copying as well!  Clever

...Geezer

This is a pretty darn good discussion Forum (as they go). But as far as actual playing advice is concerned, don't let it take the place of an instructor you can relate to one-on-one.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:09PM »

Here's where we get into some deep weeds.

I scan all my music and use a tablet to play from.  Is this illegal?  Letter of the law says yes; but will the Copyright Police come after me?  Probably not.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:10PM »

On the one hand a lot of what people talk about seems clearly in violation.

On the other hand we're in a bit of a new world here with what is available. 

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just asking. 

I only digitize music that is in my possession. I use only one of the copies at a time (i.e. I don't lend out my paper sheet music) nor do I share my digital PDFs. That lets me sleep at night with a clear conscience.
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:28PM »

I'm intrigued by the phone scanning idea.

In many community bands the music is not of high difficulty, but there is the occasional passage I'd like to work on at home, usually a few bars rather than a whole folder of music. 

If I could whip out the smart phone and quick scan a few lines to woodshed at home, that would be very useful.  Less than 10% of a piece for home study is usually fair use. 

Tim Richardson
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:31PM »

I tried it out and it works like a charm, as shown in a short video I made for a discussion in another forum. 

I was interested in that video, but Dropbox forced me to authenticate with Google, and then demanded to manage my contacts. 

Tim Richardson
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:52PM »

...If I could whip out the smart phone and quick scan a few lines to woodshed at home, that would be very useful.  Less than 10% of a piece for home study is usually fair use. 

I don't read music from my phone, but I use GeniusScan for this purpose. It's useful for groups where I don't keep the books. I scan/save as a PDF and print it later.

...or at least, I used to use GeniusScan, before one of its updates didn't agree with my archaic phone. Still--any "convert to PDF" app should work for this. (It's not a music app, tho.)

We've started "digitizing" music in several of my community bands. It saves the librarians a lot of headaches. We are expressly instructed not to share the digital files, and to destroy physical (and digital) copies after performance.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: