Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096558 Posts in 72524 Topics- by 19537 Members - Latest Member: philthomas
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Music scanning and reading apps  (Read 1690 times)
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:19PM »

Simply taking a picture on your phone is usually sufficient for me. No reason to convert to PDF.  The big benefit of PDF is that you can have multiple pages which isn't a big deal if you take a picture of a few measures to shed at home. I've done that for chord changes before.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:02PM »

Simply taking a picture on your phone is usually sufficient for me. No reason to convert to PDF.  The big benefit of PDF is that you can have multiple pages which isn't a big deal if you take a picture of a few measures to shed at home. I've done that for chord changes before.

The nice things the scanner pro app does are remove any distortion (squares it up) and convert it to b/w - all automatically.  You end up with a very crisp image. Plus it handle multiple pages really well.  It's as easy as using the camera. Maybe easier.
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:50AM »

We've started "digitizing" music in several of my community bands. It saves the librarians a lot of headaches. We are expressly instructed not to share the digital files, and to destroy physical (and digital) copies after performance.

It really saves the frustration when for example somebody takes the folder home then doesn't show up, or loses it. 

If you didn't have a copy, you'd end up paying for a replacement.

Oh wait..................................

Tim Richardson
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:13AM »

It really saves the frustration when for example somebody takes the folder home then doesn't show up, or loses it. 

If you didn't have a copy, you'd end up paying for a replacement. *

Oh wait..................................

* If the piece is even still in print/ replaceable.

You clearly need to practice less than I do.  Pant
And tbathras is spot-on. The automated clean-up processes in PDF apps are gold.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:57AM »

Here's where we get into some deep weeds.

I scan all my music and use a tablet to play from.  Is this illegal?  Letter of the law says yes; but will the Copyright Police come after me?  Probably not.

What if the battery goes dead? Seems to me that could be a problem for guys like the ones who even forget to take a mouthpiece with them!

And what if the tablet decided NOW is the time to get sticky by doing an update, or otherwise decided to do the boogaloo, as electronic devices sometimes mysteriously seem to want to do (at least when I'm using them)?

...all techno-noob questions. Like a good lawyer (but I'm not one), I know the answers to the above questions, or at least I think I do.

...Geezer

This is a pretty darn good discussion Forum (as they go). But as far as actual playing advice is concerned, don't let it take the place of an instructor you can relate to one-on-one.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:03AM »

Yeah if you need the full page or want to read from it that makes sense to convert to PDF.  I've been fortunate that I've always been in bands as full-time members so I got the full book most of the time.  Did a lot of bass trombone the last couple of years though and there are nnever any changes in those parts. So I'll snap a picture of them and then remake the part in Sibelius if I have the time.  But I definitely didn't want to recommend that approach since its overkill of the highest order!

As far as tablet performance goes, I always carry the charger with me and an power strip extension cord + stand light. I always perform with the tablet being charged even though its battery life is well over several hours despite being from ca. 2011.  When I get my book in order, I restart the iPad and put it in flight mode so it won't accidentally download anything.  And then I don't get notifications too.  Though technically the device is discontinued so I shouldn't receive any future updates. Then just to make sure, I always have the book with me too, just sorted.  That works the best for me anyway because I always keep my books in order very well. Resorting them is the hard part, but if I never have to re-sort it then it doesn't take any time!  Note that I've never had to do this in 5 years of using the tablet for performances.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:06AM »

What if the battery goes dead? Seems to me that could be a problem for guys like the ones who even forget to take a mouthpiece with them!

And what if the tablet decided NOW is the time to get sticky by doing an update, or otherwise decided to do the boogaloo, as electronic devices sometimes mysteriously seem to want to do (at least when I'm using them)?

...all techno-noob questions. Like a good lawyer (but I'm not one), I know the answers to the above questions, or at least I think I do.

...Geezer

I bring my hard copies to the gig.  In rehearsal, I could read on with someone in most of the groups I play in.  If I'm the only bass then I take my hard copies anyway.  For me it's less about carrying less and more about the ease of managing page turns, etc, on the tablet.

Also, airplane mode and "Do not disturb" are your friends.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:27AM »

Yes. Thanks guys. Pretty much as I thought, but I didn't consider "airplane mode". See! That's experience!

I would also take hard copies. I also hadn't thought of taking a charger along as well, but why not. At home, when I'm on Fantasy Football League, I always operate my laptop from the charger.

I guess I would also take a stand light, but playing from a tablet should make it unnecessary, if all it going as planned.

Oh, and it's probably a good idea to have it set so that the screen-saver doesn't come on in THE MIDDLE OF A SOLO! Lol!

Looks like I and probably a lot of guys who haven't posted to this thread have some catching up to do on the latest & greatest technology for music!

Good!

...Geezer

This is a pretty darn good discussion Forum (as they go). But as far as actual playing advice is concerned, don't let it take the place of an instructor you can relate to one-on-one.
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:46PM »

How does Scanner Pro and Genius Scan compare to the darkroom feature in ForScore? Iíve used it a few times. Works pretty well, but the copies are a little darker than music I scanned into my computer.

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

'65 Bach 34B
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:25PM »

In the Forscore app, there is a setting called 'performance' that keeps it from going to sleep or any other interruptions.

I keep my ipad fully charged and never sweat the battery going dead during a gig. At church on Sundays, I do a rehearsal and two services, leaving the charge on my ipad at 98%.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Driswood

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:05AM »

In the Forscore app, there is a setting called 'performance' that keeps it from going to sleep or any other interruptions.

I keep my ipad fully charged and never sweat the battery going dead during a gig. At church on Sundays, I do a rehearsal and two services, leaving the charge on my ipad at 98%.

Where do I find this? I a use an AirTurn foot pedal to turn pages, but have to touch the screen every few minutes to keep it awake. This setting will be a real help.

Edit: just looked at the app. Is it the "Perform" setting that puts a blue X in the upper right hand corner?

Jerry Walker

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

'65 Bach 34B
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:32AM »

Where do I find this? I a use an AirTurn foot pedal to turn pages, but have to touch the screen every few minutes to keep it awake. This setting will be a real help.

Edit: just looked at the app. Is it the "Perform" setting that puts a blue X in the upper right hand corner?

Jerry Walker

Yes!

Energy City Big Band
Driswood

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:09AM »

Yes!

Thanks!

'65 Bach 34B
Driswood

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:10AM »

When I'm playing, I put my iPad in "Airplane Mode", and turn on Bluetooth for my page turner. Battery power is never an issue.

Jerry Walker

'65 Bach 34B
djwpe

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:37AM »

There is also a setting in the "system" section of the settings menu to disable auto-lock. Easier than using performance mode. The slide switch should be "off" to prevent auto-lock. Sometimes, it'll lose the setting, and a reboot of the iPad helps it find its way.

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:34AM »

There is also a setting in the "system" section of the settings menu to disable auto-lock. Easier than using performance mode. The slide switch should be "off" to prevent auto-lock. Sometimes, it'll lose the setting, and a reboot of the iPad helps it find its way.

That's right! Thanks!

Energy City Big Band
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:36AM »

When I'm playing, I put my iPad in "Airplane Mode", and turn on Bluetooth for my page turner. Battery power is never an issue.

Jerry Walker

Usually where I perform, my ipad is not connected with a wifi, so don't need airplane mode, but that is good info to know!

Energy City Big Band
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:46PM »

Usually where I perform, my ipad is not connected with a wifi, so don't need airplane mode, but that is good info to know!

Whether you're connected or not is not the issue.  If you don't turn on airplane mode, then your phone's WiFi radio is still operating, draining power, looking for connections.

Airplane mode will help maximize battery duration.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:27PM »

Whether you're connected or not is not the issue.  If you don't turn on airplane mode, then your phone's WiFi radio is still operating, draining power, looking for connections.

Airplane mode will help maximize battery duration.
Good Point!

Energy City Big Band
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: