Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092751 Posts in 72323 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mouthpiece/horn synergy  (Read 1801 times)
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:56AM »

In the trumpet world, a lot of people talk about "gap", which I'm under the impression is the distance from the end of the shank to the start of the 'venturi' (and word I wish were 'venturus') of the leadpipe.
I guess we can assume that can be a factor with the 'bone too.

Trumpet leadpipes/recievers are much different than most trombones. The receiver is a separate entity from the leadpipe, so there is a step down to the leadpipe after the receiver and therefore a "gap" from the end of the mouthpiece to the start of the leadpipe.

On almost all trombones (minus Kings), the leadpipe IS a receiver.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Bach 50B2, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Bach 42BG, ditto
Conn 6H, Yamaha 48
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Stan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:01AM »

On almost all trombones (minus Kings), the leadpipe IS a receiver.

@Bob,

The Yamaha Nils Landgren piece Iíve got that triggered this line of thought has the thinnest shank of any production mouthpiece Iíve seen.  It thins to the same thickness as my leadpipe on the receiver-end, and I think that helps the piece meld with the pipe a little more easily.  Thereís not as much of an abrupt step in bore size between the mouthpiece venturi and the leadpipe.
donn

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:32PM »

I guess we can assume that can be a factor with the 'bone too.

Or maybe not.  I don't know a lot about trombone leadpipes, but I gather it's quite different from trumpet, or tuba with which I'm more familiar.

This diagram of a sort of typical tuba receiver shows the receiver in yellow, a sort of ferrule that accepts the mouthpiece shank on the left and the leadpipe (as tuba players call it) to the valves on the right.  The step labeled "shoulder" is what creates a "gap" -- if it exists.  The receiver and leadpipe bore could match (and I believe usually do), so the there isn't really a gap.  I might go so far as to say it might be kind of mythical.  Trumpet may be a different story.

I haven't extracted a trombone leadpipe myself, as I gather many here have, but it's evidently quite a different arrangement, and guaranteed not to have that feature.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:43PM »

And a lot of tubas don't have that feature either, in fact many are the opposite with the leadpipe starting at a larger diameter than the receiver.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: