Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092465 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Letting the Lies Go Unchallenged  (Read 109 times)
Stan

View Profile
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:26PM »

In my hometown, there is a horrible story unfolding about a state representative who killed himself this week after our local NPR affiliate released a 5-part story on an investigation into his past.  The local GOP is already calling it a witch hunt and lynch mob, despite a solid 7-month investigation that revealed 30+ years of lies and criminal activity.  The basics are here:

http://kycir.org/tag/danny-ray-johnson/

What really strikes me about this story is that this guy is dead, and he left a ton of destruction in is wake, because for years and years everyone around him tolerated his lies, emboldened and enabled him, and let him continue unchallenged.  He was clearly an unwell individual, but it looks like people just fed into it.

I brought up in another thread that calling Sarah Huckabee out on her daily lies, or not tolerating the false equivalency of Trump’s lies, was our duty as citizens of the Republic, and that suggestion was met with some hostility.  Seeing what happened to our representative, his family, and our community, I want to ask this:

Why is it ok to let the lies go unchallenged?  Do we hurt the process more by demanding truth, or by grinning and letting the liars say whatever they want? 
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:33PM »

We elected a chronic liar as President and his main campaign thrust was to label all his opponents as liars.  I Guess we as a nation don't seem to care about lying. :(

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:34PM »

It's not that the lies are going unchallenged, it's that the Alt-Right/Alternative Facts Crüe don't really respect honesty or truth (many of them actually may not understand it very well at all), and they have large enough, connected numbers (social infrastructure) to very effectively support each other in this mindset. They can lie in obvious ways and get enough (a)moral support from inside their subculture that it doesn't just sustain the mindset, it actually emboldens the behavior.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: