Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092621 Posts in 72303 Topics- by 19426 Members - Latest Member: BassBoneGatz
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Case for Bb Tenor Horn?  (Read 251 times)
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« on: Dec 18, 2017, 11:34AM »

I've recently acquired a vintage Bb American tenor horn. For those of you not familiar with the type, it's a narrow-bore upright horn keyed in Bb; similar to the baritone horn used in British brass bands. They were used in brass bands and military/concert bands in the 19th and early 20th centuries, but fell out of use as the brass bands disappeared and the military/concert bands switched to tenor trombones.

Although the horn itself is in excellent condition, it did not come with a case, so I'm in the market for same. The complicating factor is that it has front-action valves, rather than the top-action valves used on British-style baritones. I'm seeing baritone cases here and there that might work, but I'm concerned about clearance for the valves.

Those of you who play in ensembles that use British-style baritones, please kinda take a look at the cases and let me know if you see anything that look like it might work.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:07PM »

THe case that fits my Olds Ambassador "American" Baritone might work.  It's molded plastic and the horn is kept in place with a leather strap.  The actual horn will probably swim inside -- it's WAY too big.

One other thing I've done for an Eb Couesnon "bass" Flugel is to take an 18" long by 12" wide gym bag, put a few layers of sheet foam inside, and drop the horn in.  Not the greatest protection but good enough to carry from point A to point B in my car.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:59PM »

JohnL

I picked up a Besson 3valve Brit baritone from forum member here this summer. No case. No mouthpiece.

The cheapest prefab real case for something like that was about $300. Insanely expensive.

Go to your local Sally Ann Store, or Value Village used clothing and hardware store, and look for a good used suitcase 30" long. Buy a flap of foam and use that around the horn.

My baritone was 23" long. I already had the most expensive Samsonite hard-shell suitcase ever mdae for hauling gear to gigs. The most expensive Samsonite ever made was $400. Two pieces of wood 6" wide to make a partition around the horn, a flap of foam to contain the horn withing the partition shaped like a capital "T"...and with the remainder of the case I have room for straight mute for bass bone, that fits baritone---- stand, music stand, spare shoes and lights. And I can hold any library I want.

A Samsonite has the best quality wheels on the market as well. Get a suitcase with wheels 24" long and the 24" model might work well enough.

You want something on wheels that would even hold an Eb tuba?---- look at ice hockey goalie gear bags.

If you want to buy prefab and insanely expensive look at a camera shop for a case 24" long with the foam already inside...but it'll be more expensive than any horn you could buy.
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:40PM »

Lately I've been buying old hard shell Samsonite etc. suitcases for various purposes at Savers (same mega-thrift as Value Village etc.) for $5 to $15.

Idea!

let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: