Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097032 Posts in 72563 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beginner and newbie question.  (Read 1254 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:40PM »

Slide bumpers can be cork, felts, rubber O-rings, or even springs (generally on Conn and King large bores).

Votaw Tool of Missouri stocks them and ships internationally.

You can make a tool to remove old bumpers out of a piece of tubing that you raise a burr to grab the old bumper.

Is the old bumper compressed?  Missing?  How to tell: if you engage the slide lock there is a lot of play in the slide.  But make sure that the slide lock is not loose.  Generally turn to tight, then back off about one turn.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:43PM »

Thanks Tom. I don't mind doing it myself but I was wondering about the tool needed for the job and how thick should be the felt, and is cork a possibility?

I would not use cork for that. An O-ring of the right size does the job, but it could be thicker than felt so you need to check that your slide lock still works.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Christophe

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:08AM »

Slide bumpers can be cork, felts, rubber O-rings, or even springs (generally on Conn and King large bores).

Votaw Tool of Missouri stocks them and ships internationally.

You can make a tool to remove old bumpers out of a piece of tubing that you raise a burr to grab the old bumper.

Is the old bumper compressed?  Missing?  How to tell: if you engage the slide lock there is a lot of play in the slide.  But make sure that the slide lock is not loose.  Generally turn to tight, then back off about one turn.

When the slide lock is on there is about 3mm gap. The slide lock is not loose. I cannot really see if the old bumpers are missing or completely worn out, I will try to find a piece of tubing

Many thanks
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:06AM »

Home Depot 1/2" rubber neoprene O-rings. 23 cents each.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:35AM »

i ship  to spain germany  austria  australia slovenia   new zealand
and can ship to  you  where ever  you are
 recommended  easy  players  --king  605 or  older  cleveland ///olds  special-ambassador =very durable
    these  are  lower  priced   because  many  are available
bigger  bore  --the  yamaha  352/354  --being  very very choosy  --the  354 especially  --many  have  been abused by students    --getzen  351  are  great
   conn  --director  =good  ==bundy -h a selmer
reynolds  emperor--very very  good  also  --
-------------
  king  modern 606  with nickle   outer  slide  ---yes
===================
    my  top  pick  for  you  --reynolds  from 50s  in nice slim case --most  kids  here in us 
   turn up their  nose  at  the  older   horns 
-----------  email=arthousetrombone@yahoo.com///donald j kennedy=facebook //pm here !!!!!!
cost shipped about  300  usd    ///more  cheep  =olds  ambassador  or  605   //with mouthpiece
also  need  cold  cream  //cleaning  rod ///often i ship  without   box --customs form =no problem
-----------------------------------
 see  page  on facebook
-----------
INTERGALACTIC TROMBONE ASSOCIATION

Tom, from what I could gather from portuguese customs, 3,2% of custom tax plus 23% VAT. I will see. Still I find surprising that they tax on item price + shipping...might be just me seeing them greedy!
StephenKerry, Vegasbound, I have friends in UK who were looking for me...nothing much at least in my budget. Concerning shipping outside UK (or US), I have encounter both type of seller, the one willing to ship and the one just wanted to sell national...well, they probably both have their reasons

Apparently Santa thought I was a good guy this year, a very good friend of mine is in Vancouver at the moment and he found a King 606 from 1986, in hard case, without major dent in it and from war the seller said, it just need some slide O mix as it was stored for quite some time. Price seems really low, but the seller said that he wanted someone to enjoy it...we will see, I'm still believing in human nature.
It's coming with a 12C mouth piece, I will see if I change this as I'm quite a big person, but I'm already chuffed (but keeping my finger cross and hoping that it is as good as the seller said)

Thanks again for all the answer and info...no it is time to wait...

Christophe

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: