Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092910 Posts in 72340 Topics- by 19432 Members - Latest Member: joshealejo
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentRepairs, Modifications and Maintenance(Moderators: john sandhagen, BGuttman) What do you do to clean the laquer / outside of your trombone?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What do you do to clean the laquer / outside of your trombone?  (Read 655 times)
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:13PM »

I am great at keeping the inside of my horn clean, my slide fast, and my rotor working like new. But I don't think I've ever done anything to my laquer! My silver trombone I don't worry about - tarnish doesn't bother me!

Usually laquer for me just accumulates water spots on the bell that I try to wipe off with a soft cloth and this just scratches the finish. That, and the usual flaking of the laquer on the neckpipe. I don't want this to happen to my nice T-396A!

What do you do to keep the laquer shiny and new?

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:52PM »

SLIDE-O-MIX Big Splendour Laquer Polish & Protection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slide-Mix-Splendour-Lacquer-Protection/dp/B002SZ170M

However, I find that my locally relacquered trombones do not need anything, which was not the case with the original manufacturers finish (Conn, King and Bach). Simply wash with detergent in luke warm water, rinse well and dry with a very soft towel keeps the present laquer in prime condition - certainly no flaking or anything like that. I experience just a slight loss of lacquer on the piping that touches your neck - I guess from perspiration - and where I prefer not to add a guard because it affects your tone.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:10PM »

I think it was John Coffey who used to take his mouthpiece and put a dent in his students new horns. "Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just play it."

I don't do anything for the outside except wipe it down from time to time in the shower with dish soap.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:44PM »

I think it was John Coffey who used to take his mouthpiece and put a dent in his students new horns. "Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just play it."

I don't do anything for the outside except wipe it down from time to time in the shower with dish soap.

Point taken, but if John Candy or Jimmy Dean did that to my horn, he wouldn't have a horn left after I was done going to work on his - not with my mouthpiece, but with the blunt end of his own trombone case.

I'm asking the question not as an 18 year old beginner in college who doesn't practice, but as a 30 year old who wants to protect a $5500 investment and source of my livelihood. My 88H had the neck pipe nearly worn through because, for 10 years, I didn't care to take care of it. I want to not have that happen again! I want to be good!

So, dish soap and a soft cloth is all I need? Should I worry about corrosion from water getting in the bead on the bell?

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:13AM »

His second phrase was slightly different but, yeah, that's pretty much what he said :)

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
afugate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:43AM »

I use this stuff on my personal horns. http://www.beeswaxpolish.com/ 
Note: It's available here locally for a lot less than I'm seeing advertised online. Yeah, RIGHT.

Cheap dollar store furniture wax on the student horns owned by the kids I help with general repairs.

--Andy in OKC

Second best trombone player in my house... ;-)

I'm also on TromboneChat.com as afugate
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:36AM »

All I use and recommend is lemon furniture polish and a soft cloth like an old t-shirt or a well washed terrycloth towel.

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
John the Theologian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:30AM »

Jubilee kitchen wax.  Takes of dirt and water spots and leaves a protective wax shine.  I also put it over raw brass after cleaning with brass polish and it protects the raw brass from tarnishing much longer than leaving it unprotected.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jubilee+kitchen+wax&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=182127418958&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5893748132881392532&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018505&hvtargid=kwd-2256640962&ref=pd_sl_9hsamg0zud_e_p20
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:42AM »

Do the wax products not leave residue on the bell? Seems like it would build up?

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
John the Theologian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:01AM »

Do the wax products not leave residue on the bell? Seems like it would build up?

Never had any problem with it.
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:17AM »

Dare to compare?

Jubilee in Canada vs. Jubilee in the US

what the heck!  Amazed  :cry:

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:17AM »

Dare to compare?

Jubilee in Canada vs. Jubilee in the US

what the heck!  Amazed  :cry:

Are we talking Imperial gallons vs. US Gallons?  How much of the stuff are you getting?  Those prices look like they are per case.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:57AM »

Are we talking Imperial gallons vs. US Gallons?  How much of the stuff are you getting?  Those prices look like they are per case.
Yes, 12x15 fl.oz.  Your fl.oz. is the same as ours - things start changing at the pint level.

Similar price difference appear at the one bottle level too.

It's sad.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:59AM »

There must be a heck of an import tariff for that stuff.  Even with NAFTA. Confused

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Stretch Longarm
old enough to know better

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:31PM »

I think I've wiped my horns down with a cloth maybe three dozen times in 40 years, and they still look pretty good...but then King lacquer is what they should have painted battleships with, for protection.  :)

I remeber as a youngster, being horrified by how awful one older, experienced player's horn looked - but it was that way because he put so much face time into it, instead of fretting about the looks.

But I understand your wanting to protect a large investment. Just remember that the more you wipe it over time, regardless of what you use, you're scratching/wearing the surface, so tread lightly.

trombone airflow is 360 degrees. Think about it.
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:31PM »

On the only lacquered trombone I play often I just use an old t shirt or cloth. After I play I wipe the neckpipe and where I hold it with a chamois I have in my case.

My unlacquered horns get a dusting every time I play them. I like to make sure there are no water spots or anything.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: