Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092464 Posts in 72163 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Civl Forfeiture  (Read 800 times)
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:47AM »

This is one of the reasons you guys have the 2nd Amendment, right?
I assume you're being facetious ... ?
Deadly serious. The 5 Amendment says ...

Ah, okay ... that makes sense.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2017, 03:14AM »

I assume you're being facetious ... ?Deadly serious. The 5 Amendment says ...  
Ah, okay ... that makes sense.

Ok genius, so how do you enforce your 5th Amendment right against an armed agent of the state intent on violating it?

The courts offer no recourse, as we've already seen in the perverse SC decision about civil forfeiture and the 5th Amendment. Your franchise lets you vote for someone who will change the law: good luck with that. Freedom of speech allows you to write a sternly worded letter of complaint to the local newspaper, or to your congressman for him to ignore.

The only remaining counterbalance to improperly used government force is force of your own.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2017, 04:49AM »

Ok genius, so how do you enforce your 5th Amendment right against an armed agent of the state intent on violating it?

The courts offer no recourse, as we've already seen in the perverse SC decision about civil forfeiture and the 5th Amendment. Your franchise lets you vote for someone who will change the law: good luck with that. Freedom of speech allows you to write a sternly worded letter of complaint to the local newspaper, or to your congressman for him to ignore.

The only remaining counterbalance to improperly used government force is force of your own.

Threatening armed resistance to an officer of the law is a guarantee to become "dead right" (you were right, but you're dead).  Not a solution.  Ask Cliven Bundy, who's in prison for armed resistance to Federal agents.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:08AM »

In the history of the US there's never been a case of armed resistance getting an unpopular law rolled back.

The Whiskey Rebellion failed.  The unpopular whiskey taxes only got repealed years later by electing different people to Congress.

I think the Dems should run on ending Civil forfeiture.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:29AM »

I think the Dems should run on ending Civil forfeiture.

I don't think they have any real incentive. Their rich donors are not the ones being abused by forfeiture laws.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2017, 06:22AM »

Threatening armed resistance to an officer of the law is a guarantee to become "dead right" (you were right, but you're dead).  Not a solution.  Ask Cliven Bundy, who's in prison for armed resistance to Federal agents.
Agreed, I don't care how well armed you are and how well prepared, armed resistance against a government with access to the most advanced weaponry in the world is futile, and not going to result in anything good.  We've seen this tried multiple times in US history and the government always wins.  All they really have to do is wait you out, turn off the water and utilities, and you'll run out of food and water eventually. The second amendment wasn't designed for armed resistance by an individual, but for the forming of State guards, and militias to protect the State from an overreaching federal government. Even the attempt by states to leave the Union in the form of our Civil War failed to result in the desired outcome, and cost a large toll in human life on both sides.  Armed resistance against the federal government by an individual, or small group of individuals (or even the State) government is a total exercise in futility and is only going to result in unnecessary bloodshed.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: