Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092832 Posts in 72329 Topics- by 19432 Members - Latest Member: joshealejo
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Christmas gigs  (Read 999 times)
jackbird

View Profile
« on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:19AM »

What kind of Christmas gigs are you all playing? and with what kind of ensemble?

I've only had 3 gigs this year, and only 2 of those paid. 2 church gigs, one with brass quintet, another with a small orchestra, and the third gig is a big band gig.  Living in a semi-rural area, very few believe in paying for music. Very different from your typical urban music scene.
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:31AM »

What kind of Christmas gigs are you all playing? and with what kind of ensemble?

I've only had 3 gigs this year, and only 2 of those paid. 2 church gigs, one with brass quintet, another with a small orchestra, and the third gig is a big band gig.  Living in a semi-rural area, very few believe in paying for music. Very different from your typical urban music scene.

I played in a brass quartet in church with organ and choire on the first Sunday of December 3/12 and then the 12/12 with a brass band outside at "Solliden-scenen" at "Skansen" in Stockholm with Lucia, a special tradition over here. Then another Christmas concert in Råsunda Church 17/12 with the same brass band, "Solna Brass" - a very good band that won the Swedish Champion in 2016. Then my last paying gig was 16/12 with a trumpeter in a church here in "Södertälje", with choire and piano. Then I also sang a christmas concert with a choire 10/12. Only two of those concerts were paid gigs. I don't count so much on making money with my music it comes as a bonus when it happens.

I almost forgot. I had a payed Christmas concert with the Stockholm Police Windorchestra on eufonium early morning 8/12 in "Kungsholms kyrka" (church in the center of Stockholm). My first paying gig on this instrument in a windorchestra.  Have had a couple before when I played both trombone and eufonium in a brass sextet but that was more than ten years ago. It was fun to pick up the instrument again. It wasn't very difficult but I had to practice every day for a week to know the instrument.

/Tom
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2017, 03:44AM by watermailonman » Logged

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:52AM »

Had an advent service last weekend, playing solo (tenor sackbut) with organ. Also last weekend, two nights of Mendelssohn's Elijah on early romantic instruments at the Berner Münster (playing ophicleide).

Mozart Spatzenmesse KV 220 late on the 24th with a small group + choir (2 violins, bass, me on bass sackbut playing a combination of the bass trombone part and continuo, 2 trumpets and timpani - all period instruments), then KV 140 on the morning of the 25th with a larger string contingent playing modern instruments, and 3 sackbuts (again on bass). That last one is in one of the most gorgeous churches I've played in (Fridolinsmünster in Bad Säckingen, Germany) - I feel very lucky, and really looking forward!

Maximilien Brisson
bassboneman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:20AM »

Had an advent service last weekend, playing solo (tenor sackbut) with organ. Also last weekend, two nights of Mendelssohn's Elijah on early romantic instruments at the Berner Münster (playing ophicleide).

Mozart Spatzenmesse KV 220 late on the 24th with a small group + choir (2 violins, bass, me on bass sackbut playing a combination of the bass trombone part and continuo, 2 trumpets and timpani - all period instruments), then KV 140 on the morning of the 25th with a larger string contingent playing modern instruments, and 3 sackbuts (again on bass). That last one is in one of the most gorgeous churches I've played in (Fridolinsmünster in Bad Säckingen, Germany) - I feel very lucky, and really looking forward!

I would love to be there doing that as well! You are fortunate indeed!!!
Gorgeous!
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:26AM »

Had a Christmas show at a Baptist Church with full orchestra a couple of weeks ago & one more on Christmas eve in a Catholic church with a brass 5tet.

Also did a small bone sextet at the end of Nov.

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:01PM »

Just my regular subscription concerts with the two orchestras I play with. No church work this year, not even cantoring. Played Slow Ride (Sleigh Ride) twice, Nutcracker selections once, some boring HS-level arrangements I could (and almost DID) do in my sleep. Time to call it a career.  :(

Daniel De Kok
Associate Principal, Southeastern Pennsylvania Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:01PM »

Played holiday concerts with two different orchestras (one of which was actually a paying gig), two community band concerts (would have been three, but one was cancelled due to high winds), and one concert with Bones West - plus four TubaChristmases and one Trombone Christmas.

For the TubaChristmas in Riverside, we do a thing called "ImprompTuba". One of the guys brings in some of his own arrangements (often just finished) and a few of us put them together while the main ensemble is having their rehearsal. It can get a little hairy.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:36PM »

I played a golf club dinner on Wednesday with a 4 piece, alto and tbn out front. Today a regular monthly loose 'Old folks" home charity event, myself and a keyboard (ist). NYE will be with a 3 piece band, no bass. And a new years day buffet lunch with a four piece + vocals.

In my reality..
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:18PM »

Last Sunday I did the regular gig with the new band I have joined, the "Swing Time Club Band", at the Swing Time Binary Music Club in Cleveland (Queensland, Australia). The afternoon of course featured Christmas tunes.

The line up was Tenor Sax, Trombone, 2 Pianos, bass, banjo and drums.

The Christmas tunes we played were:

Blue Christmas
Frosty The Snowman
Jingle Bell Rock
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Santa Clause Is Comin' To Town
White Christmas

And for my solos, I did:

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

There were several other guest performers doing a variety of mostly Christmas tunes.

Very enjoyable, particularly for me to be playing again after trying to get my lip back. It was also the birthday of one of our pianists, John Ellis. He was 90 years old and they baked him a cake and the whole lot. Good!

Merry Christmas everyone. Have a good one!

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2017, 05:56PM »

I'm home this year.

I used to have a regular gig at a local Roman Catholic church (they pay well).  We were a quartet in the choir loft with the choir.  One year at Midnight Mass the priest went overboard with the incense.  A thick choking cloud was headed in our direction.  I whipped out my sprayer and attacked it.  Stopped it in its tracks.  The choir thanked me profusely :)

That church went belly-up because the neighborhood got poor and attendance went down.  A few years after I lost the gig the whole thing closed down.  The building was sold to a Hispanic religious organization.  Haven't been in there since.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:11PM »

Brass quintet - two holiday gigs at assisted living centers.  Sat in with a community band (story is in another thread) at a Catholic assisted living/retirement home.  My pay?  Punch and cookies. 

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:57AM »

One good-paying gig at a Baptist semi mega-church that has more money than they know what to do with. 1 Community band concert that went really well and was well-attended. 1 quintet concert at another church that also went very well, although it was a freebie. But one I was really looking forward to got snowed out. Our big band had practiced really hard to work up the Ellington Nutcracker Suite. On the day of the concert, we got just enough snow to shut everything down. This being SC, that doesn't take much. We have rescheduled it for the 1st week of January, but I don't anticipate that we will get much for attendance, as people are pretty tired of Christmas music by then.
Zandit75

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2017, 03:29PM »

We had our final outing for 2017 yesterday. We started with the Ulverstone Xmas Parade, I'm the short one, second from the right!
This was a very long march through the main street of Ulverstone, 2.5kms in total!

We have only a short break, back on the 2nd of January to start preparing for our National Band Championships at Easter time.

Merry Xmas everyone!
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2017, 03:53PM »

My agent keeps me booked up pretty tightly, to include two area churches. I'll have two church performances tomorrow; one at 2:30 and one at 6:30. Each will last about 45 minutes or so.

For compensation, the one church renews a late-model Lexus lease every year for each brass ensemble member. The other church books us on a one-week European river cruise every summer.

What I especially like about the 2nd church is that they make me sound good - and that ain't easy!

...Geezer
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2017, 04:59PM »

I need to sign up with your agent.
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:57PM »

The one-week European cruise people are pikers.  You need to hold out for two weeks minimum.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:27AM »

I think my agent is ripping me off.

But before you sign with him anyway, you will need a "head shot" for promos. Here's mine:

OBTW: those compensations create a tax nightmare for me, so you will also need a tax lawyer and a business manager. Everyone will want a piece of you!

Have a terrific holiday gig! I have two today.

...Geezer
vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:04AM »

For the first time since the age of  7. I have not had a Christmas gig!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:34AM »

I think my agent is ripping me off.

But before you sign with him anyway, you will need a "head shot" for promos. Here's mine:

OBTW: those compensations create a tax nightmare for me, so you will also need a tax lawyer and a business manager. Everyone will want a piece of you!

Have a terrific holiday gig! I have two today.

...Geezer

Nice picture  Good! next time when some gig turns up I will see to get payed in Lexus instead of SKR.

For the first time since the age of  7. I have not had a Christmas gig!

I hope to get more christmas gigs next year when the word has spread that I acccept Lexus instead of SKR.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2017, 10:24AM »

I played alto recorder this morning, to accompany a child singing Away in the Manger for the Christmas pageant.

I don't play much recorder but usually pull out the sopranino around Christmas and do some background carol tune as shepherds and angels find new places.  This time a child was going to sing along. 

For a child this small with a high pitched voice I guessed that middle C to the C above would be a good range, and I wrote a simple handbell accompaniment.  At the rehearsal Saturday she said she liked the alto better, it was easier to hear her pitch. 

At 1020 this morning (for a 1030 service!) she and her brother asked to speak with me privately.  Can I please make the pitch lower?  Yes of course, thanks for giving me plenty of warning.  it worked in Bb, a fifth lower, which is not a horrible key for recorder in F.  Except that I hadn't practiced it and had no time to rewrite the bell parts.  I made some quick adjustments to the bell players and played it in Bb by ear, wishing I hadn't drunk quite so much coffee. 

Tim Richardson
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: