Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097024 Posts in 72562 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) Your personal favourite out of these horns?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your personal favourite out of these horns?  (Read 2838 times)
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« on: Dec 27, 2017, 02:53PM »

Bach A47I, Bach A47MLR, Edwards T396-A, Edwards T350-HB, AC420 and YSL-8820.
pedrombon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:53PM »

Edwards T396-A

Principal trombone, Almerķa City Orchestra.
Granada Brass.
Minimal Bones.
paulyg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:36PM »

When I tried the T396-A it struck me as the one instrument that might actually be able to do it all. Obviously it's built to fill the role of principal trombone in an orchestra, but it's so responsive and easy to play that it is far more versatile than that role would suggest. The price tag reflects that, however!
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:35PM »

Not really a good comparison, IMHO. The Edwards T-350HB is a custom horn, and the A47I can be customized somewhat as well. I think the AC420 also has some options.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
sterb225

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:19PM »

I am a convert to the T-396.  It is remarkably even and easy to play, plus the fixed configuration locks you out of looking for hardware solutions to problems that you should really be looking inward to solve. 

Olds Ambassador
Bach 36G LT
Edwards T-396A / Griego Alessi 1C
Bach 50B2 w/ Willson Bell
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:32PM »

Not really a good comparison, IMHO. The Edwards T-350HB is a custom horn, and the A47I can be customized somewhat as well. I think the AC420 also has some options.
If you could choose a setup that fits you.
harrison.t.reed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:04AM »

T-396A

Edwards Tenor
Conn Alto
Griego Mouthpiece
Driving Park

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:30AM »

I'll be an outlier - I don't like the T-396A. I'd probably go with the Courtois if I had to pick. If the Yamaha was the 882 and not the 882O I'd go with that one without question.

Always WTB: Boosey & Co. ballad horn in C | Distin altophone | King 1147/48 altonium | Boosey/Courtois antoniophones | DEG alto cornet in F
NateR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:45AM »

T-396A. I feel like it gives me the best opportunity to make the sound that's in my head!

I love the way the Courtois horns play, but for me the sound can get "tinny". Thats probably just me though.

The Bachs are as good as any if you get a good one, but I don't like the modular setup. That got me into trouble with my Shires. I was always looking for a horn to fix what I should really have been practicing. See Quote:

I am a convert to the T-396.  It is remarkably even and easy to play, plus the fixed configuration locks you out of looking for hardware solutions to problems that you should really be looking inward to solve. 

The Yamahas are a good blend of sound and response (I almost bought a Xeno a couple of years ago). The only thing that stopped me is that I think my sound is more interesting on the Edwards.

vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:46AM »

I would like to know why you are limiting yourself to these choices?

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:06AM »

T-396A. I feel like it gives me the best opportunity to make the sound that's in my head!

I love the way the Courtois horns play, but for me the sound can get "tinny". Thats probably just me though.

The Bachs are as good as any if you get a good one, but I don't like the modular setup. That got me into trouble with my Shires. I was always looking for a horn to fix what I should really have been practicing. See Quote:

The Yamahas are a good blend of sound and response (I almost bought a Xeno a couple of years ago). The only thing that stopped me is that I think my sound is more interesting on the Edwards.

Interesting cause i've heard people say T-396-A has a "tinny" sound and the only reason Joe doesn't have this "tinny" sound is because he uses Griego-Alessi 1C mouthpiece.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:17AM »

The 396 can have a big sound with a variety of mouthpieces. I played in a section with someone using a Wick 5AL and he sounded quite good on it.  It isn't my cup of tea but if I ended up with one I wouldn't be disappointed either. On that list its probably my 2nd behind the T350HB.  But I don't go for Bach style horns as much anymore.  If the 882OR was on that list it would be my top choice. I wouldn't limit myself to just those options though.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:36AM »

Bach A47I, Bach A47MLR, Edwards T396-A, Edwards T350-HB, AC420 and YSL-8820.

Those new horns are probably over my budget so I would not even consider them, but I do know I like my old Edwards T350 made in the 90'-ies and my Antoine Cortouis 420BO "Challanger I" from the beginning of this century. They are both great brands. I can understand you want the best and are prepared to pay to get that super horn. My advice is to try them all as well as other horns too, before you buy. I think I only payed 10% of the new price for those horns on your list I've got. A good deal because they probably look and play 98% as good as a new one.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a good trombone then I think you found the right ones to consider. Add a new Shires to the list and you got the herd.

I would consider buying used too. An Elkhart Conn 88h or a good Bach 42 could be a great option.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:58AM »

Those new horns are probably over my budget so I would not even consider them, but I do know I like my old Edwards T350 made in the 90'-ies and my Antoine Cortouis 420BO "Challanger I" from the beginning of this century. They are both great brands. I can understand you want the best and are prepared to pay to get that super horn. My advice is to try them all as well as other horns too, before you buy. I think I only payed 10% of the new price for those horns on your list I've got. A good deal because they probably look and play 98% as good as a new one.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a good trombone then I think you found the right ones to consider. Add a new Shires to the list and you got the herd.

I would consider buying used too. An Elkhart Conn 88h or a good Bach 42 could be a great option.

/Tom

The thing is that i got around 6000$ from a scholarship and all the money that i don't spend i have to return back so i'm looking for a really expensive horn on purpose.
vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:01AM »

The thing is that i got around 6000$ from a scholarship and all the money that i don't spend i have to return back so i'm looking for a really expensive horn on purpose.

Wouldn't it be better to find the best horn for you??

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:04AM »

Does the scholarship specifically say that all the money has to be spent on one trombone?

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
jimkinkella

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:22AM »

Seems like a good idea.

I have a couple of Courtois, and definitely prefer them to the Bachs, don't know the Edwards that well.
If I had to spend some money I'd also be checking out Rath, Thein, Shires, and M&W.
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:26AM »

Where i live there is not really a place to try out trombones.The only way i can try them is if any fellow trombonists around here have them or my father's colleagues and students.So i've tried one T396A(wasn't blown away but will try it again), a Rath(didn't like it) and a Shires that my father plays that i like but what's the point of buying another one when i can just take his and give him whatever i get if i don't like it.Also i played on Matt Vaughns (philadelphia orchestra) horn for 3 weeks it's a T350HB with a Bach 42 corporation bell i liked that more than the T396A.
I've heard good things about courtois and A LOT of big name trombonists play it.
I haven't seen a lot of ppl talkink about the A47 Infinity Bach that's why i put it there.
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:27AM »

Does the scholarship specifically say that all the money has to be spent on one trombone?
Well i asked for one.
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:30AM »

I see  Good! You could buy a contrabass trombone or at least a bass trombone. That would be the most expensive trombone. Could you buy a tuba? It is a very specific and unusual problem you've got. Lucky you  ;-)

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: