Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096406 Posts in 72513 Topics- by 19533 Members - Latest Member: marymsmith
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) Your personal favourite out of these horns?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your personal favourite out of these horns?  (Read 2770 times)
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:43AM »

Well i asked for one.

Perhaps you can explain the situation a little better. Are you getting $6000 to do with as you please, or is someone spending up to $6000 on a trombone for you?

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
CSO

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:48AM »

If it were me with that kind of budget, I would go out and find a decent Corporation 42 and get it refurbished by one of our great techs here on the forum, including a new aftermarket valve.  You could probably do a 42 and 50 with that kind of budget.  If you liked Matt Vaughn's horn, decent chance you'll like a Bach with a new Thayer valve.

But if you want new, make the investment and go to a place where you can try anything you want.  You can go to Dillons while you're on break, or wait until March and try everything available at the American Trombone Workshop in DC.  Is there a time limit you have access to the funds?

"Tone quality is earned. It's not part of the purchase price of ANY bass trombone."  - Mike Suter
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:49AM »

What is the setup on your father's horn?  If you like a Shires, there isn't really much that plays like them otherwise. There are some really fine playing horns that aren't Shires, obviously, but if you like them nothing beats it! I'm in that camp for sure.

If I were being essentially given a horn, I'd buy a flight out to Boston if you can get there.  Its probably not as expensive as you think, although i'm not familiar with eastern european fares.  

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:50AM »

Perhaps you can explain the situation a little better. Are you getting $6000 to do with as you please, or is someone spending up to $6000 on a trombone for you?
Someone spending up to $6000 on a trombone for me.
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:55AM »

What is the setup on your father's horn?  If you like a Shires, there isn't really much that plays like them otherwise. There are some really fine playing horns that aren't Shires, obviously, but if you like them nothing beats it! I'm in that camp for sure.

If I were being essentially given a horn, I'd buy a flight out to Boston if you can get there.  Its probably not as expensive as you think, although i'm not familiar with eastern european fares.  
I could buy another horn for how much i would spend on that also i have to spend the money until January 12th.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:59AM »

If you are looking to major in classical tenor, look at an alto in addition to a tenor.

If you really want to spend it all, look at an Egger Sackbut.  Problem is there are a lot less places to play it than a regular trombone. ;-)

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Stefanbencic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:01PM »

If it were me with that kind of budget, I would go out and find a decent Corporation 42 and get it refurbished by one of our great techs here on the forum, including a new aftermarket valve.  You could probably do a 42 and 50 with that kind of budget.  If you liked Matt Vaughn's horn, decent chance you'll like a Bach with a new Thayer valve.

But if you want new, make the investment and go to a place where you can try anything you want.  You can go to Dillons while you're on break, or wait until March and try everything available at the American Trombone Workshop in DC.  Is there a time limit you have access to the funds?
I have to spend it until January 12th and i can't go to the US that easily, i could maybe go to for example Musikhaus Thomann in Germany.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:07PM »

I have to spend it until January 12th and i can't go to the US that easily, i could maybe go to for example Musikhaus Thomann in Germany.

holy cow, apparently I need to make a trip to Germany   :D  Do you think you can go? It looks like they have a number of horns, including several of the botique hohrns, though I don't know what they carry in stock.  I'd definitely contact theem and see if I could make it up there. 

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
CSO

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:10PM »

I's sorry, I thought you were in the US.  But I still suggest going to a place where you can try as many as you can.  Thomann is the first place I think of.  Plus, with makers like Rath, they have so many different options I'm sure something you like can be put together.

"Tone quality is earned. It's not part of the purchase price of ANY bass trombone."  - Mike Suter
harrison.t.reed

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:43PM »

Buy the most expensive horn you can and sell it. Then buy what horn fits you best.

Edwards Tenor
Conn Alto
Griego Mouthpiece
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:53PM »

Iím waiting for someone to suggest Benge.

Kris Danielsen
Boston University Doctoral Candidate
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:05PM »

Buy from Thomann. Shipping will be free if you spend that kind of money which means you can spend all the money on the horn, and you can return the trombone later and switch to another if you are not satisfied. They have lots of brands to choose from. I have bought a couple of new horns from them. They pack safe and ship fast within EU and run a serious business. Too bad you have not the possibility to try so you at least have a clue what you like. Personally I would go for a A. Cortouis before a Bach. I did play one new Bach with the "infinity" Thayer and one of the new Cortouis with Hagmann valve this summer at a summers camp. Both these horns were better than my Kanstul 1570. The best horn was the new Cortouis.

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:01PM »

Iím waiting for someone to suggest Benge.

Not expensive and also not made any more.

Benge made some really nice instruments but they didn't catch on.

Bruce Guttman
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:10PM »

Not expensive and also not made any more.

Benge made some really nice instruments but they didn't catch on.

I know. It just seems like someone always discourages students from buying high end horns and benge always comes up. My sarcasm didnít come through...

Kris Danielsen
Boston University Doctoral Candidate
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:47PM »

I know. It just seems like someone always discourages students from buying high end horns and benge always comes up. My sarcasm didnít come through...

It's usually me that recommends Benge.  Good horns for a budget.  The OP is not on a budget -- he's got enough money to buy the best.  No need to compromise.

Bruce Guttman
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2017, 04:55PM »

Just go (fly?) to a shop that has tons of horns and play them all.  Shires, Rath, Yammies, the new Greenhoes - the sky is the limit!  If you are busy, you could send me to do the homework for you!  I will gladly fly coach down to SoCal to visit the Horn Guys!

Holton bass trombones...
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:29PM »

fly to Huddersfield and let Mick sort you out. ......
vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2017, 01:46AM »

fly to Huddersfield and let Mick sort you out. ......

You beat me too the suggestion!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:48PM »

Any reason why you specify the Courtois 420? Did you try the 440? I find it a much more interesting and subtle instrument, personally.

Also if you have that kind of budget why not a boutique horn from a German workshop?

Maximilien Brisson
timbone

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:13AM »

Guys- One thing to note- when trying horns it my be necessary to try a couple of different moutpieces to take it to the next level.  I see far too many people that think a lead pipe change will make a difference and they try every horn (even ones with fixed lead pipes) with "their" mouthpiece, so don't discount that. In theory and reality, a fixed lead pipe will transmit energy more efficiently than a removeable, so keep that in mind nd be open minded!

cheers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: