Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097092 Posts in 72568 Topics- by 19545 Members - Latest Member: cepatinog
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forgotten mouthpiece?  (Read 1550 times)
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:53AM »

Hi! I came to think of the occasions when I left a mouthpiece behind. I guess it has happened to others as well.

First time it happened I was very young and had forgot my mouthpiece at home on the piano so my lesson had to be cancelled. I guess I was about 14-15 years. It was not a big thing. I just was ashamed.

The second time it happened it was worse. It was on a gig where I was called to sub to play lead on an outside concert with a big band. I was the first in place and soon noticed my mouthpiece was missing. I called the other tromboneplayers to have them bring a spare mouthpiece but they had allready left their homes. One of them I could not reach. I had no time to go and buy or lend me a mouthpiece. The panic was near and it was a payed gig. We sat in our places with the first tune ready. I knew the second piece was "I've got you under my skin" with the famous trombone solo coming up in my part and I had still no mouthpiece. I was sure I would never be called again  I thought I could just pretend that I was playing or something, and maybe borrow the second players mouthpiece just in time to play that solo. The start of the gig was delayed and it was because the second player was not heard of and was now five minutes late. The audience waited. He arrived and I desperately asked if he had a spare mouthpiece to lend me. I was lucky he had a Bach 6 1/2 AL on loan, a massive mouthpiece with much extra heavy metal. I borrowed that mouthpiece and that saved my gig. This was about five years ago and happened because I had begun to switch a lot between horns. The mouthpiece was in another case.
After this I never put the mouthpiece in a case. I allways put it in my pocket. I still do that.

The third time it happened was a year ago and I thought I had the mouthpiece in my pocket but for some reason I was mistaken. That was a rehearsal and one of the other players had a spare mouthpiece.

Since that happened I have begun to bring one extra mouthpiece just in case. It could be one of the others that needs my spare mouthpiece.

Nowdays the risk is much less. I always check I have the right mouthpiece when I leave the house and I check it also fits the leadpipe of the trombone I bring. I know I never keep any of my mouthpieces in the case so I always check.

I've been lucky the times it has happened and it has not led to a catastrophe. I have always been rescued or it did not matter that much and it has only happened three times. I guess it could be much worse...

What's your story?

/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:01AM »

So far; so good.

Before I leave the garage, I take a mental inventory. Trombone. Check. Mouthpiece. Check. Music. Check. Gig bag. Check. Etc.

Before I leave a rehearsal or gig, I take the very same mental inventory.

Water bottles don't count.  :D

...Geezer

This is a pretty darn good discussion Forum (as they go). But as far as actual playing advice is concerned, don't let it take the place of an instructor you can relate to one-on-one.
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:09AM »

One of my former teachers showed up to a gig without a mouthpiece. Luckily the 2nd trombone had a spare one in their case, which was the exact same model. After that they both kept the habit of having a spare one of the other player's size that never left the case, that way if one had used their mouthpiece with another horn and forgot to switch it back, they always had a spare one on every gig. I thought that was a nice story and clever strategy - you're not going to take that spare mouthpiece out of the case if it's not a size you ever use.

For me it was recently (fortunately just for an informal rehearsal with no consequence). Usually kept my bass sackbut mouthpiece with all my stuff in my tenor sackbut gig bag which I pretty much always have with me. Recently started leaving it in the bass case, and then there was a bass sackbut-classical bass swapping series of dumbness happening and I found myself with my bass mouthpiece being with the wrong instrument, locked inside a locker I don't have a key for. Had to play those bass parts on tenor (which I guess was good practice for false tones!).

Maximilien Brisson
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:29AM »

I am super paranoid about this. Thus far, my paranoia has paid off.

I keep plastic mouthpieces (one SS, one LS) in my car's cupholder.
Just this past summer, I lent one of those plastic pieces to a sectionmate who forgot his mouthpiece for a gig.

I also keep ~3 mouthpieces in each of my cases.
Came in handy ten years ago when I dropped a mouthpiece (smushing the shank) immediately before a concert.
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:48AM »

I once showed up to a recording with no mouthpiece. I was still getting into the groove of playing so many horns and mouthpieces and left with the correct horn but my mouthpiece was in a different case.

Since then I have been keeping spares all over the place including compartments in my car and music bag. Even if the size is t quite right it’s better than having nothing.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:53AM »

I use a gig bag and leave the mouthpiece in the receiver virtually all the time.

There was one gig where I had been playing another horn at home and the mouthpiece stayed on that horn.  Fortunately there was a music store near the gig so I bought a 6-1/2AL to use.  Not close to my size, but close enough.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:20AM »

For a while I carried a spare for a colleague who seemed to be going through a period of absentmindedness.
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:21AM »

I always carry a spare m'pce in my equipment/mute bag that is at least close to the one that I am playing. Forget my m'pce? It's happened... :/ :/ :/ But...maybe worse...dropping it and busting up the shank.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:49AM »

Brought the wrong music book or no music at all? Grabbed the wrong trombone case? Showed up to the wrong venue and had to race to make it on time? I’ve done worse than forgetting a mouthpiece  Evil

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
FlamingRain
1. Posaune

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:04PM »

I played an orchestra gig a while ago and I accidentally left my mouthpiece with a different horn...

I ended up playing principal on a Bach 1 1/2 G that I borrowed from the bass trombonist... This is close to the rim I play on now, but back then I was still playing on a 4G-ish mouthpiece. It worked, and the gig went great.

Sascha Burckhardt

Edwards T396-A
Doug Elliott
XT Lexan N106 - G - G8
YSL-354, YSL-671
XT Lexan N106 - C+ - D3
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:18PM »

Somehow (knock on wood) I've never forgotten a mouthpiece.

I did show up to a major orchestra with the wrong concert wear. That was an interesting 45 minutes.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Denis Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, NY Bach 7
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:39PM »

I have had mouthpiece palava in the past.  I keep a plastic 5G and a 1.5G in my mute/music case just in case.  I have not needed them since doing that - but you never know. Bad dog.  No Biscuits.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:53PM »

I have never forgotten my mouthpiece, but I regularly spend my drives to rehearsals and concerts convinced I have forgotten my mouthpiece or something.  It is totally unproductive.

Steven Cangemi

Let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it!
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:14PM »

I normally play on a 1 1/4 sized bass mouthpiece. I carry an extra Kelly 1.5 in the coat, or glovebox.
sterb225

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:37PM »

Only happened once for a dress rehearsal ... I ended up sitting in my chair and watching the music go by.  I now have one mouthpiece for every horn and make sure that I never, ever separate the two.  If the horn is on the stand in my studio, the mouthpiece is in the receiver, and the only way a case gats closed is if there is a mouthpiece in the case with the horn. 

Olds Ambassador
Bach 36G LT
Edwards T-396A / Griego Alessi 1C
Bach 50B2 w/ Willson Bell
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:58PM »

I forgot a mouthpiece on a gig exactly once.  After that, I put a couple Kellys in my car (lg and sm shank) as insurance.  I've never forgotten a mouthpiece since. 

I do keep a mouthpiece in the case of every horn I use regularly.  I have some duplicate mouthpieces to facilitate that.

-----------------

I do not as yet have a solution to forgetting my music.  Did that a couple times (once I brought the wrong folder).

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Le.Tromboniste

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:58PM »

Not a mouthpiece, but I got the dress code wrong for an orchestra concert (the last time I had played with them was for an opera production, so all black, and for some reason I forgot that the usual with them was black tie). The conductor had a different set-up, with the trumpet and bones on the left side behind the cellos and violas, and the basses behind the woodwinds. So basically I was sitting on a riser close to the front of the stage. Playing the solos in Sibelius 7. The orchestra manager was about to blow a gasket. Luckily I managed to get a spectator to bring be a white shirt. It arrived about 2 minutes before showtime.

Maximilien Brisson
JESimmons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:00AM »

I carry a gig bag for music, lubes, water bottle, tools, etc. I keep a 1.5G in the bag. In a pinch, I can play either bass or large tenor with it.

Olds O-21
1955 Conn 6h
1967 Conn 88h
1974 Holton TR-180
Edwards B454
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:10AM »

Not forgotten mouthpiece but I have experienced opening the trombone case to find the slide missing. I had prepared the slide well at home but forgot to put it in the case when I left. The occasion was a radio recording with the local community band, I was 17 years old and the radio recording was a big thing for all of us. Luckily there was a music store nearby and I ran there as fast as I could and they lent me a trombone for that recording.

King 2B/3B - Marcinkiewicz ET3 Charlie Loper
Conn Artist Symphony - Greg Black 5GS
Nanook

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:53AM »

My granddaughter dropped her trumpet mouth piece under the retractable basketball stand while waiting to perform her Christmas concert...She came to me crying in a panic...I got to be the grampap hero by getting the janitor, who had a specially designed pole for dropped items...She had a spare in her case, but she doesn't like it as much...All turned out just fine...

Nanook

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”-Frank Zappa
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: