Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092484 Posts in 72165 Topics- by 19436 Members - Latest Member: Pablo3A
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forgotten mouthpiece?  (Read 1152 times)
crazytrombonist505

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:56AM »

As of now, I have never forgotten a mpc for a concert/rehearsal. But this thread will make me be extra careful in the future  Good!
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2018, 03:20PM »

I`ve never forgotten my mouthpiece, too damn paranoid.
I have duplicates in all my horns and a "Buzzing" mouthpiece (Megatone 7C) in my car at all times.
I always check everything before I leave the house.

“Where words leave off, music begins.”
― Heinrich Heine
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:07AM »

Not gonna lie, Tom - reading your first story in you OP legitimately stressed and freaked me out, glad it all worked out.

Closest I've come to this was pulling out the wrong mouthpiece. Never played any paid gigs, usually just community-type stuff, but even then, I'm the kind to lose a bit of confidence when I suddenly have to add a little bit of extra effort because of unfamiliar equipment.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Terraplane8Bob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:26PM »

Two very funny missing equipment stories :
   I played a gig MANY years ago on which the lead trumpet player brought his brand new Shilke quadruple trumpet case containing a trumpet in B flat, a trumpet in C, a trumpet in D and a piccolo trumpet in E Flat.  He forgot to include even ONE mouthpiece!  The booker on the job was a school music teacher and fortunately [for the lead trumpeter] had a 7C trumpet mouthpiece in his briefcase he used to demonstrate to his students. The trumpeter was especially fortunate because the booker was a violinist !  I can only imagine what one of those demos sounded like !
  The second story occurred about 1957-58 during a concert of The Rochester Philharmonic when I was a student at The Eastman School of Music.  The principal horn player in the orchestra, Morris Secon, suddenly stood up in the midst of a concert, walked off stage and returned several minutes later to resume the performance.  As it was later discovered, he was dumping water from his French horn and one of his slides fell from his grip, bounced along the risers on which the orchestra was seated and fell through a narrow opening at the base of the riser making it impossible to retrieve without removing half the orchestra from the risers.  Morris immediately headed to the annex building next to The Eastman Theater where all of the individual practice rooms were located, listened for the sound of a French horn, crashed into the room and snatched the instrument from the unsuspecting player with a quick promise to return the instrument later and returned to the stage as if nothing of importance had happened ! It might not be a mouthpiece story, but I think it fits nicely into the paranoia we all have about forgetting or losing part of our "kit" at a critical moment !   Cheers !!   Bob
PhilE

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:28AM »

I had an equipment related senior moment in July last year, a senior moment lasting nearly a whole weekend.  I keep my slides hanging on a rack on the wall with the inners and outers separated.  The night before the gig, I was cleaning the Bach 50 slide which I was going to be playing the next day.

After cleaning the outer I picked the inner of my 42 slide off the rack on the wall and inserted it.  I couldn't work out why it felt looser than before I cleaned it.  I thought maybe I damaged it during cleaning but really couldn't see how I could have done that. 

Anyway I put it in the case ready for an early start the next day.  In the morning I got it out and checked it and yes it was still as loose as it was the night before.  Puzzling.  I didn't have time to have a blow on it so I just put it back in the case and grabbed my other 50 slide (50 LT) and put it in the car just in case.

I got to the venue and got the bone out for a warm up.  Could hardly blow a note.  Definitely something wrong here.  So I went and got the LT slide out of the car.  But then I noticed it didn't have a lead pipe in it.  Both my 50 and 42 slides have Edwards threaded pipes so I unscrewed the lead pipe out of the loose slide and screwed it into the 50 LT slide.  It was loose in the inner tubes.  That's strange I thought.  My brain still didn't make the obvious connection.  So I took the lead pipe out and expanded the end with the shank of another mouthpiece I had in my case.  That was a bit of work.  I eventually got it to fit the 50 LT slide and we were in business.  All went well.

On the trip up to the venue I explained the problem to my wife.  She suggested that maybe I had mixed up the inner and outer with another slide from the rack.  No, not possible said I.

We got home after the gig and I found that I had left my extra mouthpiece behind at the venue.  I rang and found someone there who found the mouthpiece for me.  Drove for an hour back there, picked it up and an hour back home again.

So then I started to unpack my bone and put it away in its usual place.  That's when I found the 50 inner slide hanging on the wall by itself and the penny finally dropped.

elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:24AM »

Brought the wrong music book or no music at all? Grabbed the wrong trombone case? Showed up to the wrong venue and had to race to make it on time? I’ve done worse than forgetting a mouthpiece  Evil
I used to have a huge folder that I kept all the music for my various gigs in at the same time.  That way I would never forget the music, right?  Well... one Christmas season I was playing both the band and orchestra arrangements of “A Christmas Festival”. D, Db. Are they really that different?

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:43AM »

I played for 16 years with a very successful classic R&B/Soul/Classic Rock Band. we had a 3 pc horn section. we were booked to play a wedding about an hour 1/2 from home. Got to the gig set-up and went to dinner. Got ready for the gig and my trumpet is swearing himself. He had played a wedding ceremony that afternoon and didn`t change his horns out. Instead of his Bb and Flugel, he had his C and piccolo. I made a few fast calls to friends and got a Bb for him. duh!!
The next weekend, again we`re out of town for another wedding, He comes in and makes a big deal about having the right horns this week. We get all set-up , eat and get ready to play, swearing again. He forgot his Tux. so he runs out to Walmart and buys a short jacket, pants and a white shirt. There goes most of the gig pay
After that , for months after I would phone his wife and make sure he had everything needed

― Heinrich Heine
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:58AM »

Sunday morning (10:00 am) rehearsal. Arrive, pop the trunk. No trombone. (Forgot it).
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:56PM »

Sunday morning (10:00 am) rehearsal. Arrive, pop the trunk. No trombone. (Forgot it).

I've considered keeping a spare beater horn in the car for exactly this purpose.
...and a spare white shirt, black shirt, black jacket, black shoes, black socks, black pants.
I need a bigger car.

BTW, this might be my favorite thread ever.  :D
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:50PM »

I keep in my car/trunk at all times , so I never have to worry about that stuff

Music stand
Mute bag
Seat cushions
Microphone case
Mic stand

― Heinrich Heine
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2018, 10:47PM »

No stand light?
I carry 3 or 4 with me to every gig.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:00AM »

What was her name?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: