Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097093 Posts in 72569 Topics- by 19545 Members - Latest Member: cepatinog
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wessex Trumpets  (Read 660 times)
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:26AM »

I know this is the TROMBONE forum, but I am making an effort to learn trumpet. The Wessex bones, euphs, and tubas seem to have a good reputation. Does anyone have experience with the trumpets? I was looking at this one:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/trumpets-and-cornets/products/bb-professional-trumpet-r38

Thanks.

Never mind - I found a nice vintage Olds on Ebay for about the same price.
Driving Park

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:46PM »

I know you found a horn, but someone else might still be curious.

I've found that it's very hard to find any reviews about anything in Wessex's line that isn't low brass. Tuba players and trombonists have been very vocal about their like or dislike (seems to be mostly like, sackbuts excluded) about the Wessex instruments, and Wessex goes to festivals like ATW so a lot of us have tried a bunch of their instruments (myself included). Some of their instruments are really stellar IMO. But I have heard absolutely nothing about any of Wessex's trumpets or French horns or anything else, which is a shame because a) I would really like to know how good their triple horn, Eb tenor horn, and Eb trumpet are (among other things), and b) I feel like the Wessex low brass line is good in part because of all the feedback they've gotten both from consumer players and trombonists/tubists they actively bring in to help with development. The horns and trumpets, meanwhile, seem relatively ignored, with most of their models appearing to be very little modified (if at all) Jin Bao models.

The one time I saw something about Wessex on the French horn Facebook group was someone asking if the Wessex kinderhorn was a decent instrument for a beginner. The responses were pretty much all to the effect of "Wessex? Who's that? Must just be another garbage Jin Bao clone factory." A shame, because cheap but performance-quality double horns (or descants, or especially triples) don't really exist, even used.

Always WTB: Boosey & Co. ballad horn in C | Distin altophone | King 1147/48 altonium | Boosey/Courtois antoniophones | DEG alto cornet in F
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:44PM »

That was essentially the reaction I got when I asked on the Trumpet Herald forum. No one ever heard of them.
Jonathantuba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:56PM »

Here is YouTube review of Wessex French horn
https://youtu.be/4Rj1cRP_gVs

Wessex have not been able to keep up with the horn orders since that was posted!

Wessex Tubas - Nice playing brass at reasonable prices!
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Jonathantuba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:02AM »

For the R38 trumpet, it is a good player and is being used professionally. Customers seem very satisfied - I donít remember a single one ever being returned during trial period.

If you have access to Facebook, Jesse Tucker has posted videos playing

Wessex Tubas - Nice playing brass at reasonable prices!
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Driving Park

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:24AM »

Here is YouTube review of Wessex French horn
https://youtu.be/4Rj1cRP_gVs

Wessex have not been able to keep up with the horn orders since that was posted!

Hi Jonathan, thanks for this information. It's good to hear the double horn is being received favorably. Has anybody reviewed the triple horn?

Always WTB: Boosey & Co. ballad horn in C | Distin altophone | King 1147/48 altonium | Boosey/Courtois antoniophones | DEG alto cornet in F
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:22AM »

I've been trying to get some first-hand reviews of their instruments myself because I'm going to be buying one of their valve bones likely this year or next year. I'll keep this this thread in mind if it's still relevant when I make my purchase.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: