Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yamaha YSL2510  (Read 419 times)
Moaoie

View Profile
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:32AM »

Hello Trombonists!!!

I recently bought a yamaha YSL2510, but i can't find anything on the internet about it. Do any of you know anything about it ? Like is it a good horn ? How old is it ? etc. Thankss!!
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:07PM »

It's a great student trombone. Pretty much identical to YSL-354, but with yellow brass leadpipe instead of gold brass. At least that's the only difference I can discern. Discontinued, but you can use 354 parts if you ever need to replace parts. I believe every 2510 is made in Japan.

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
Moaoie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:48PM »

Cool! thanks for that info! Does that mean i can replace the slide with one from a ysl354? My slide has a bit of corrosion on the tip :((. Also would you know around what period these were made because my case is straight out of the 60's hahaha
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:34AM »

Cool! thanks for that info! Does that mean i can replace the slide with one from a ysl354? My slide has a bit of corrosion on the tip :((. Also would you know around what period these were made because my case is straight out of the 60's hahaha

Yes, 354 slide (along with other small bore Yamaha slides, like 651, 653, 697z, 695, etc. etc.) should fit. Not 356, though, since it'll fit medium bore bell sections due to its .525" lower leg. 4-digit model numbers are mostly from 1980s to mid-90s I think.

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:42AM »

You might be able to make the slide work even with a bit of corrosion.

First check to see if the chrome edges are sharp.  If they are, don't bother trying to make this slide work.  Get a new(er) one.  This was a common problem with Yamaha trombones of this vintage (like the M1).

If the edges of where the chrome ends are smooth, you can remove the corrosion using VERY fine sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, or a corrosion removing wadding (we have something in the US called Nevr-Dull).  Get down to where you can see brass.  Then clean off the area very well; especially if you used the wadding.  If you have a spray wax like Pledge, you can spray the end of the slide and then let the wax completely dry.  If not, put some slide cream like Trombotine on all the exposed brass.  Wipe off excess and then use another application of slide cream.  I don't like Slide-O-Mix on slides like this.

Good luck.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:34AM »

I think the M1 is the designation for the small bore student slide.  The YSL354 I sold a few months ago ( a recent model) had M1 on the slide as does the YSL354 of a friend.  It may just be the number for the inners as mine had a nickle-silver outer and his has a brass outer.  But both have 'M1'.

Maybe other out there with YSl354 and similar could check their slide for an M1 stamped on one of the cork barrels.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
MichaelWindhoek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:12AM »

I'm using an old trombone, which was difficult to play until recently. I took the slide to London when a repairer looked at it and said it wasn't running when he  molded it a little and said I must basically clean it. They sold me trombotine saying it will be better for that slide. However I found though trombotine is not as thick as the Yamaha slide cream it too requires a very thin layer or else the slide will resist. I opted to use the Yamaha slide lubricant, which makes it operate smoothly. I just need to spray a bit of mineral water. I'm also using a ysl 354 student model, a good quality trombone.
BillO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:15AM »

Mineral water or distilled water?

I would think mineral water would cause a build-up of hard deposits.

Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:30AM »

I think the M1 is the designation for the small bore student slide.  The YSL354 I sold a few months ago ( a recent model) had M1 on the slide as does the YSL354 of a friend.  It may just be the number for the inners as mine had a nickle-silver outer and his has a brass outer.  But both have 'M1'.

Maybe other out there with YSl354 and similar could check their slide for an M1 stamped on one of the cork barrels.

All student marketed .500 Yamaha’s I’ve seen had the M1 badge. The old 352 ( I think ) with the nice curved bell brace like an Olds even up to recent Advantage horns.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
BillO

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:48AM »

All student marketed .500 Yamaha’s I’ve seen had the M1 badge. The old 352 ( I think ) with the nice curved bell brace like an Olds even up to recent Advantage horns.
That's my experience too and It's always on the slide, regardless of what might be stamped elsewhere on the instrument. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: