Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096558 Posts in 72524 Topics- by 19537 Members - Latest Member: philthomas
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentAccessories(Moderator: Greg Waits) Devices to Increase finger strength/speed for valved instruments
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Devices to Increase finger strength/speed for valved instruments  (Read 1042 times)
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:16AM »

Is there a device to increase finger strength/speed for valved instruments?

Certainly.

Valved instruments.

And diligent practice.

One of the best practices?

In good time...as fast as possible nearly perfectly no matter how slow that may be:

1-In a good, easy register (I recommend 4th partial for starters), play repeated, slurred 8th notes in 4/4 from open to all of the other various possible fingerings in that partial.(Include 3rd valve in this...it is very useful in many passages as a substitute for 1+2.)

2-Using the 2nd valve as starting point, play repeated, slurred 8th notes to all of the other various possible fingerings including open.

3-Ditto using the 2nd valve as starting point, then the 3rd valve, then 1+2, then 2+3, then 1+3,then 1,2+3. Slow down when the going gets difficult. If your hand gets too tired to do this, stop and rest for a few minutes. If after one of those rests, if you still feel a lack of strength...or if you feel some kind of cramping...you're through with that exercise for that day. take a good rest and then go on with your normal practicing.

I regularly lay off the valved lower brass instruments I play...tuba, valve trombone,euphonium...for months on end. Longer, even. When I need to get them together, I use this approach.

Rinse and repeat. Eventually? Add different articulations as well. Different meters and starting subdivisions as well.

Works for me...

S.

P.S. To shorten the exercise, choose a key of some kind and only do those exercises to and from notes in that key.

P.P.S. It also works on 4 valved instruments. Same approach. Probably on 5 and 6 valved horns (tubas, mostly) as well. I dunno because I don't have any. I imagine it might get quite...complicated...practicing all of the permutations and combinations of 6 valves.  :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

But it surely would get them together.  Clever Clever Clever Idea!

Bet on it.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Ryebone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:19AM »

Keep in mind that the ring and middle finger share a common tendon at its' origin up in the forearm. The index finger has its own. Fluid trills on any instrument utilizing only 3rd and 4th fingers are especially challenging physiologically.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: