Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092620 Posts in 72303 Topics- by 19426 Members - Latest Member: BassBoneGatz
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Brushing teeth before practicing?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brushing teeth before practicing?  (Read 839 times)
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:09AM »

I'm not sure if I'm just getting quirky in my old age, but recently I've found that given the chance I like to brush my teeth before starting to practice, and waiting 15 minutes after brushing to make sure my mouth is clean of toothpaste. Does anyone else do this? Are there really any benefits, playing-wise or practicing-wise?

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:10AM »

I almost always brush my teeth between eating and playing, if only to keep the instrument and mouthpiece cleaner.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:19AM »

I often brush before playing.  I get cleaner articulations...

Holton bass trombones...
Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:15AM »

I almost always brush my teeth between eating and playing, if only to keep the instrument and mouthpiece cleaner.

This is my justification right now. Does seem to help.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:35AM »

I don't eat and then blow chunks through my horn. I brush with an ultrasonic device AND then floss AND then rinse thoroughly.

...Geezer
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:58PM »

It is just not hygienic not to clean ones teeth before playing. I even carry a toothbrush kit in my gig bag to clean after eating at a gig - although I really do not like to eat at all when playing out. I also rinse with Listerine. Way cool

You can smell those that do not follow a tooth cleaning practice. Or rather, you can smell their bones.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:20PM »

I knew someone who used to brush her teeth before playing cello Amazed Don't know

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:58PM »

I started the teeth-brushing-before-playing thing in high school, when I got my "good trombone," and I wanted to keep it in good condition.
(Some talented upperclassman trumpet, who ended up going to NEC, recommended the teeth-brushing thing. I figured he knew a thing or two.)

Today at trombone ensemble, the host warmed cider for us during a break. Awww.
"No thank you, not for me," I said. "I don't want to blow sugar through my horn."
He poured me a mug anyway and said, "You can swish your mouth out with water."

I still could have refused, but sometimes you just gotta roll with it.

I swished a LOT of water before playing again.
It wasn't my "good trombone" anyway.  :)
Max Croot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:04AM »

Hi. Always, I also carry a tooth brush with me to clean my teeth if I eat anything. A trombonist I know, when playing in theatres always left his horn on a stand in the pit between shows and his horn got fly blown and he had maggots in it. That was published in issue 45 Summer 1996 of the Australian Trombone Education Magazine. The article was called Slideraker-- The Man with the Golden Mouthpiece. Hope this gives you food for thought. Cheers Max

Bass Clef
miketrombone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:02AM »

I’ll be the voice of dissent and say that while I do maintain good oral hygiene, I don’t make a point to brush between meals and playing.  I will rinse with water or eat a mint or two.  The reason being that small amounts of food that naturally linger in your mouth after meals stimulate saliva, preventing dry mouth.  Many years ago at one of my first auditions I wanted to do everything “just right” on the morning of.  So, I brushed my teeth beforehand, something I had never done before (or since). The result: dry mouth.  I would suggest if you brush and suffer from dry mouth, that could be a reason.

Mike Szabo
Bass Trombonist, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Bass Trombonist, Copenhagen Philharmonic 2006-2012
Bass Trombonist, Honolulu Symphony 1998-2006
PhilE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:12AM »

I've always brushed my teeth before playing.  Doesn't feel right to play unbrushed.

I have noticed the dry mouth feel that some toothpastes leave you with. 

Brushing without toothpaste before playing does the job pretty well.

The concert band I regularly play with has a mid-rehearsal break. 

There's only a few of us who don't get into the choc biscuits and tea or coffee.

JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:44AM »

If it's been more than a couple hours since eating/drinking, I don't brush. Otherwise, I'll brush and then rinse my mouth with water a couple times to get rid of most of the residual toothpaste. Food in your horn is bad, but toothpaste contains abrasives, so you really don't want that going into your horn, either.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:53AM »

There's only a few of us who don't get into the choc biscuits and tea or coffee.

In orchestras where I play, string players often get into snacks during the break.  Brass players tend to just look on longingly.

Steven Cangemi

Let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it!
Dombat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:47PM »

Never could be bothered...
Often in the middle a rehearsal (or a 3.5 hr opera) I'll have a sandwich or brezel. Never had an effect on my playing and I try not to overthink it. All of my colleagues except for our tubist are the same <insert tube of toothpaste joke here>.
On the first trombone it helps anyway. The more food that builds up in your horn, the more back pressure - easier to play in the high register.  Clever
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:54PM »

Dentilogically speaking, if things keep going the same way for me as they slowly have been over the last 50 years, I may only have to worry about keeping both teeth clean.   Amazed

...Geezer
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:26PM »

In orchestras where I play, string players often get into snacks during the break.  Brass players tend to just look on longingly.
Bring something that leaves their hands sticky and watch the fun... Evil

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
sirisobhakya
ThaiJin BassTrom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:31PM »

I normally don't eat anything and don't drink anything except water between last toothbrushing and practice/playing (which sometimes can be hours), unless I have to eat, such as during all-day practice, which is somewhat rare for my band. I used to carry toothbrush set in my bag for that, sometimes I still do, but normally it is kind of nuisance. I always rinse thoroughly before playing regardless.

Back in the days of middle school, my friends and I normally ate dinner at school's canteen and then come to practice, without brushing teeth or anything. Kids today still do that apparently. I went back to my school last week and cleaned those mouthpieces... Mouthpiece brush in, brown-to-black gunk came out. Yuck.

Chaichan Wiriyaswat

(ex) Kasetsart University Laboratory School Symphonic Band
Higashihiroshima Wind Ensemble
Yamaha YBL-830 + Yamaha 59
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:48PM »

Dentilogically speaking, if things keep going the same way for me as they slowly have been over the last 50 years, I may only have to worry about keeping both teeth clean.   Amazed

...Geezer

See? Things do get simpler with age.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:18PM »

See? Things do get simpler with age.

Everyone tells me I do!

I thought miketrombone's post was an interesting take on this subject; food bits in the teeth causing salivation and helping with dry mouth. I can't abide by the bits of food on my two teeth, but maybe sucking on a lemon would help with that. I wonder what band-mates would say if I did that...

...Geezer
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:34PM »

Everyone tells me I do!

I thought miketrombone's post was an interesting take on this subject; food bits in the teeth causing salivation and helping with dry mouth. I can't abide by the bits of food on my two teeth, but maybe sucking on a lemon would help with that. I wonder what band-mates would say if I did that...

...Geezer

Hmmm... I thought I recalled an old Little Rascals black and white where an audience member sucked a lemon to derail a horn player... but it's so looooong ago..

But in line with Mike's comment and yours: have you heard of sodium lauryl sulfate?  It's a foaming agent in many toothpastes.  It can (not the same as "will") also cause dry mouth. 

So my contribution to this thread is: try something like Biotene that does NOT contain SLS.  I find that, with my favorite toothpaste, I can NOT brush before playing.  With Biotene I can.  YMMV.

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: