Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092893 Posts in 72336 Topics- by 19432 Members - Latest Member: joshealejo
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Brushing teeth before practicing?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brushing teeth before practicing?  (Read 930 times)
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:49PM »

Hmmm... I thought I recalled an old Little Rascals black and white where an audience member sucked a lemon to derail a horn player... but it's so looooong ago..

But in line with Mike's comment and yours: have you heard of sodium lauryl sulfate?  It's a foaming agent in many toothpastes.  It can (not the same as "will") also cause dry mouth. 

So my contribution to this thread is: try something like Biotene that does NOT contain SLS.  I find that, with my favorite toothpaste, I can NOT brush before playing.  With Biotene I can.  YMMV.

I know! That's where I got that lemon scene. It was priceless.

I don't suffer much from dry mouth; on occasion, though. I think this bears some experimentation. Of course, each of our experiences may differ, but if it helps someone, that's great. Biotene or it's equivalent, with the idea of trying a toothpaste that does not contain SLS. Got to check it out!   Good!

...Geezer
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:19PM »

I brush my teeth beforehand, too. 

But then I am likely to also pour an IPA, or maybe a chardonnay, or maybe an IPA and a chardonnay. 

But at least everything is clean...

Andrew Meronek

"Justly Intoned"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:47AM »

Hmmm... I thought I recalled an old Little Rascals black and white where an audience member sucked a lemon to derail a horn player... but it's so looooong ago..

But in line with Mike's comment and yours: have you heard of sodium lauryl sulfate?  It's a foaming agent in many toothpastes.  It can (not the same as "will") also cause dry mouth. 

So my contribution to this thread is: try something like Biotene that does NOT contain SLS.  I find that, with my favorite toothpaste, I can NOT brush before playing.  With Biotene I can.  YMMV.

Interesting. I use Arm & Hammer toothpaste, which has SLS, but it doesn't bother me via dry mouth. On the other hand, I don't like other toothpastes because they usually feel like they leave a film in my mouth and the A&H doesn't.

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

- Thelonious Monk
MikeyBonez

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 12:47 PM »

I don't eat and then blow chunks through my horn. I brush with an ultrasonic device AND then floss AND then rinse thoroughly.

...Geezer

Yeah, but it's easier when you can take your teeth out of your mouth.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 01:46 PM »

Yeah, but it's easier when you can take your teeth out of your mouth.

:D

How true! But in my case, I only have two teeth left to worry about anyway. I gum most of my notes!

...Geezer
kbiggs

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 04:28 PM »

Maybe one of the techs will chime in here...

I used to work in a music store many years ago. When brass instruments came back from rentals, part of my job was to assess whether a simply wash with soap and water would do, or whether it needed a chem clean. I couldn’t believe some of the gunk that came out of horns, some of which had only been rented a few weeks!

My view:
It’s less work to keep your teeth clean than it is to bring your horn in to the shop frequently for chem cleans.

Accumulated gunk in the horn can cause corrosion and erosion. Sometimes, parts need to be replaced because of accumulated gunk. Far easier to brush the teeth to keep your teeth and the horn clean. Think of it as regular preventive maintenance.

I’d say—without any evidence to support this, mind you—that it’s far cheaper to keep your teeth and horn clean by brushing before hand. Yes, you might blow some abrasive material into the horn. I believe the risk of that is significantly less than the risk of malfunction due to blowing bits of food and drink into the horn. There are less-abrasive toothpastes out there. Search and find...

If your toothpaste leaves your mouth dry, find a different toothpaste.

Finally, there’s a few documented cases of accumulated gunk causing respiratory problems in musicians. Why risk developing a potentially serious health problem, including dental problems, that can be completely avoided by 2-3 minutes of maintenance before you play? Make it part of your routine, like stretching, or lubing the slide before you play.

Kenneth Biggs
Bass & tenor trombone
Print
Jump to: