Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092670 Posts in 72310 Topics- by 19427 Members - Latest Member: ronevogt
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arban's Famous Method Question  (Read 490 times)
MikeyBonez

View Profile
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:20AM »

I was looking at Amazon to pick up a copy and the prices run from $29 for a new copy to $3000 for a used copy.

That needs some explaining to one such as me. I assume they are different versions or printings, etc.

What is the allure of the $3000 used copies?

Also, I seem to recall hearing something about the old Arban's duet book being merged into the famous method?

Is there any particular version/printing I should be looking for?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:24AM »

Regarding Amazon in general, I have read that absurdly high prices on some items is the result of automated pricing bots competing with each other.

A $3000 copy of arban's sounds excessive.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Nanook

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:29AM »

https://www.amazon.com/O23X-Arban-Method-Trombone-Baritone/dp/0825893313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515515197&sr=8-1&keywords=arbans+method+for+trombone

I recently purchased the one for $27.88 to replace an older used edition I was using...

Great price, and its new...This newer edition has larger spacing between notes, there for there are more pages...I Have heard that there aren't as many etudes at the end as is found in the older editions...I highly recommend this edition...

Nanook

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”-Frank Zappa
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:36AM »

You should also get the cornet (treble clef) version from IMSLP.  It's public domain and there are sections there that didn't make it into the trombone one. 

Tim Richardson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:51AM »

https://www.amazon.com/O23X-Arban-Method-Trombone-Baritone/dp/0825893313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515515197&sr=8-1&keywords=arbans+method+for+trombone

I recently purchased the one for $27.88 to replace an older used edition I was using...

Great price, and its new...This newer edition has larger spacing between notes, there for there are more pages...I Have heard that there aren't as many etudes at the end as is found in the older editions...I highly recommend this edition...

Nanook

I used my band-saw to cut the spline off, then a three-hole punch and it's now in a notebook and MUCH easier to turn pages while on my music stand. So if I was buying Arbans again, I would look for a spinal-bound copy if available.

...Geezer
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:27AM »

It’s slightly more expensive, but the version edited by Alessi and Brian Bowmen is worth it. It’s spiral bound, so it lays flat, and it’s got all duets and art of phrasing studies. Plus, you get little blurbs by Alessi and Bowmen to help you.

Kris Danielsen
Boston University Doctoral Candidate
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:10AM »

I used my band-saw to cut the spline off,...Geezer

At the risk of veering off topic:

Last week I decided to hang a dart board using a French cleat, so I got my bandsaw out of the shed. 

I reviewed the really excellent setup video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

that's the best one I've seen.  Watch him make the 3D reindeer if you have time. 

Anyway, when I opened it up to adjust the blade properly, I found the missing roll of paper towels, transformed into a mouse nest and tightly packed everywhere.  After a thorough cleaning and taking the time to adjust it perfectly this time, a good hours worth of work, I turned it on.

Nothing.  It wouldn't run.  I couldn't figure it out, no fuse and no obvious bad connections. 

So I flipped a jigsaw to 45 degrees and made the cleat that way.

Seriously, you used a bandsaw on a paperback?  Hmmmmm.  Pretty sure you punched those holes with a drill press then.    And then broached them to optimum diameter. 

If I had an iPad or similar tablet I might just download the IMSLP version. 

Tim Richardson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:19AM »

At the risk of veering off topic:

Last week I decided to hang a dart board using a French cleat, so I got my bandsaw out of the shed. 

I reviewed the really excellent setup video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

that's the best one I've seen.  Watch him make the 3D reindeer if you have time. 

Anyway, when I opened it up to adjust the blade properly, I found the missing roll of paper towels, transformed into a mouse nest and tightly packed everywhere.  After a thorough cleaning and taking the time to adjust it perfectly this time, a good hours worth of work, I turned it on.

Nothing.  It wouldn't run.  I couldn't figure it out, no fuse and no obvious bad connections. 

So I flipped a jigsaw to 45 degrees and made the cleat that way.

Seriously, you used a bandsaw on a paperback?  Hmmmmm.  Pretty sure you punched those holes with a drill press then.    And then broached them to optimum diameter. 

If I had an iPad or similar tablet I might just download the IMSLP version. 

That was the spline off Arbans, not Geezer. But you didn't use the forbidden "lol", so I guess it's okay. Lol

I hole-punched it several pages at a time. I think I had a metal-cutting blade in my band-saw at the time for when I stole a band-mate's trombone and cut the tuning slide down ridiculously so he would always be out of tune and I would then get his chair.  Evil  Evil

...Geezer, The Splineless
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:37PM »

It’s slightly more expensive, but the version edited by Alessi and Brian Bowmen is worth it. It’s spiral bound, so it lays flat, and it’s got all duets and art of phrasing studies. Plus, you get little blurbs by Alessi and Bowmen to help you.

Good!

Available at Hickeys

Online Trombone Journal review

I decided it was finally time for a more trombone-oriented Arbans, so I ordered it. I figure if it has Joe Alessi's name on it...

I have a pile of technique manuals I rotate through but I never had my Arbans in the party mix b/c it doesn't lay flat - the way I have it cut up and stuffed inside a notebook. I know it's weird, but sometimes it takes things to be of a certain format to interest me.

...Geezer
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:48PM »

Good!

Available at Hickeys

Online Trombone Journal review

I decided it was finally time for a more trombone-oriented Arbans, so I ordered it. I figure if it has Joe Alessi's name on it...

I have a pile of technique manuals I rotate through but I never had my Arbans in the party mix b/c it doesn't lay flat - the way I have it cut up and stuffed inside a notebook. I know it's weird, but sometimes it takes things to be of a certain format to interest me.

...Geezer

I can tell how much my students have been practicing by how well their Arbans stays open

Kris Danielsen
Boston University Doctoral Candidate
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:29PM »

I've noticed a problem with many music books is that they are bound as if they would never have to stay open on a stand.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
Nanook

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:52AM »

I've noticed a problem with many music books is that they are bound as if they would never have to stay open on a stand.

I had originally intended to get mine spiral bound as many suggested, but found that using one of those large clips with a magnet on it keeps the book open just fine on my metal music stand...
Nanook

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”-Frank Zappa
MikeyBonez

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:10AM »

I bought this book about 38 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/O5130-Alan-Raph-Bill-Watrous/dp/082580342X

It seems to have vanished with my Arban duet book. So I got a new copy. A lot of the stuff in it references the Arban book so I ordered the spiral bound Alessi version (although the Alan Ralph version may have made more sense). Like my playing in general, I'm sure I'll muddle through.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: