Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097025 Posts in 72562 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) New Wessex PBF565 bass trombone
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Wessex PBF565 bass trombone  (Read 4276 times)
mjgeorge

View Profile
« on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:23PM »

Wessex recently displayed a new bass trombone (the PBF565).  I didn't see it in person, but they posted a picture of it on Facebook.  Chris Stearn, is this the new bass trombone you designed?  Any additional details you could share?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156008399327790&set=p.10156008399327790&type=3&theater
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:30PM »

Wessex recently displayed a new bass trombone (the PBF565).  I didn't see it in person, but they posted a picture of it on Facebook.  Chris Stearn, is this the new bass trombone you designed?  Any additional details you could share?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156008399327790&set=p.10156008399327790&type=3&theater

Yes, that is indeed the new bass trombone. The prototype was built up by me. I have tried two pre production examples built at the factory and they were really excellent. The brief was to design a bass in the modern American style and I think this ticks the boxes !! Blows and sounds well when put against anything, not just the intermediate market.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
LeoInFL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:53PM »

Price?

Leo
CFC Arts Symphony Orchestra
Orlando Concert Band (sub)

'54 Olds Custom (Olds 2)
'05 Getzen 3047AFR  (Bousfield S)
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:56AM »

How's it stack up against the 562? Or is it a reconfiguration/redesign with the same specs?

I may pick one up in a couple years.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:49PM »

How's it stack up against the 562? Or is it a reconfiguration/redesign with the same specs?

I may pick one up in a couple years.

Dave,

The 562 is more of a King 7B/Benge 290 derivative.
This horn is more of a Yamaha 830 derivative.

If, by specs, you mean bore size, it's a bass trombone.  It's got a big bore.
If you mean bell shape, I'll bet the bell shapes are pretty true to the source models (although I wouldn't be too surprised if Chris had a hand in refining the bell on the new one.... among other things.)

If you mean material choices, safe to say there will be different materials in slide and bell.  It does not, for example, look like the Mack/Jin Bao TB831L.  I doubt the bell is rose brass, or the outer slide nickel silver.  And I can see that the lead pipe is removable. 

Looks like more of a TB831L redesigned to fix the misses on that horn.  Can't see the linkage side in the photo, but it looks like the second valve goes the opposite direction from the TB831L, which is a very good thing.

I find my TB831L vastly better behaved than my Benge was.  I could not produce the sheer volume of undistorted sound I could on the Benge, but I have NO call for that kind of playing any more (thankfully!) For everything else, my TB831L does the job, and is easier to play and hold.  I would bet good money that the changes Chris has made in this horn just make a good thing much, much better.

And you'll likely be able to practice more, and want to practice more, with this than with a less performant horn (so buying sooner rather than later is a GOOD thing unless debt is involved.)

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
blast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:14PM »

Way more effort went into this than a tweak of an existing model. First I got them to copy a frankenbone I had built. I got that back and asked for every part they currently made for any bass model to be sent. I then messed around. The result is not based on any one horn... it contains parts they have made before and parts they have never made before. It is unique and pretty big in the bell section. 562 bore slide.

Chris Stearn

boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:08PM »

Way more effort went into this than a tweak of an existing model. First I got them to copy a frankenbone I had built. I got that back and asked for every part they currently made for any bass model to be sent. I then messed around. The result is not based on any one horn... it contains parts they have made before and parts they have never made before. It is unique and pretty big in the bell section. 562 bore slide.

Chris Stearn

Any idea if they'll show at the Eastern Trombone Workshop this year?  Would love to try one out!

And thanks for the info.  My guess fell further short than I dared to hope!

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:18PM »

Ahh, okay, thanks for expanding, Dave and Chris! Had no idea. Looks at the very least like a nice horn  Good!

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:14AM »

Chris because you were directly involved in this I'm definitely curious. Pant

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
hassein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:05AM »

Me too.
blast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:28PM »

Remember gentlemen that I was asked to design a modern style bass and those of a  more traditional inclination will probably not like it so much. There was a Holton 185 clone that was not right... that is still in my workshop awaiting development. One day.....

Chris Stearn

wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:19PM »

Remember gentlemen that I was asked to design a modern style bass and those of a  more traditional inclination will probably not like it so much. There was a Holton 185 clone that was not right... that is still in my workshop awaiting development. One day.....

Chris Stearn
Understood but the fact that you designed and were the primary player on the project I figure some "good stuff" had to find its way in there. ;-)

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
blast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:28PM »

Indeed, I think this is a very good trombone or I would not have signed it off and allowed my name to be attached to it. Just saying that it is new school, not old school. I would love to get a really nice old school bass together and have not lost the chance.
Let's see how this first one is received.

Chris Stearn

gbedinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:57PM »

Understood but the fact that you designed and were the primary player on the project I figure some "good stuff" had to find its way in there. ;-)

Ditto here too
LowrBrass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:59PM »

Indeed, I think this is a very good trombone or I would not have signed it off and allowed my name to be attached to it. Just saying that it is new school, not old school. I would love to get a really nice old school bass together and have not lost the chance.
Let's see how this first one is received.

Chris Stearn

Dumb question:
What does that mean, a new school bass vs. an old school bass?
What are the defining characteristics of each?
If I had an unidentifiable bass trombone in my hands, how would I decide which category it fit into?
blast

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:09AM »

Dumb question:
What does that mean, a new school bass vs. an old school bass?
What are the defining characteristics of each?
If I had an unidentifiable bass trombone in my hands, how would I decide which category it fit into?

Not a dumb question at all. Modern American style.... think Edwards, Shires , Yeo designed Yamahas.... trombones that work well with big mouthpieces (though they can work with smaller) and produce a very big, projecting sound. The classic bass is more the old Conn and Holton style .... often happier with the smaller mouthpieces, able to cut through when required.
That's a start. Others may chime in.

Chris Stearn

JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:01AM »

I have this image of blast, dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi (Sir Alec Guinness version), holding a Conn 70H and saying: "An elegant instrument... for a more civilized age."

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
tbathras

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:48AM »

I have this image of blast, dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi (Sir Alec Guinness version), holding a Conn 70H and saying: "An elegant instrument... for a more civilized age."

Good!
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:21PM »

I'm pretty sure he said something like that to me when I was messing around with his collection at the Birmingham ITF  Pant

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
blast

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:49PM »

Help you, I can.....  Evil Evil Evil Evil

Obi-Stearn

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: