Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097033 Posts in 72563 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) New Wessex PBF565 bass trombone
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Wessex PBF565 bass trombone  (Read 4280 times)
Alex

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:58AM »

Ok, I'll be the a-hole who asks - can you give a link to a more "modern" sound?

I know at festivals I grate at the tbone choir bass bones just seeing how loud they can play whole notes on the fundamental. But that's a maturity issue, not a hardware problem. I just need to hear two different sounds for comparison sake. I don't want to label anyone as a "bad" player or tasteless or anything, I just want to see what the two supposed bookends of the spectrum are.

You may not get an example that can adequately demonstrate it.
I guess if you able to imagine the sound you would expect to get from an old Conn 62H on the mouthpiece that works best with it, then compare that with what you might expect from a dual bore Edwards with Thayers, with the type of mouthpiece that suits that instrument best, then you might be part way towards your answer.
The instruments probably need a different approach, and how you play each instrument will determine your sound.
I guess its like singers. Take Sinatra v Buble. Theu sing the same stuff in the same style but Sinatra is definitely old school. His sound, his interpretation, his presentation, all very different to Buble.
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:56AM »

Bob Hughes playing on the Alpine Symphony shows the sound that is possible on a 2g

Oft quoted recording. I should credit Derek Bishop who was the other bass trombone on that recording. Conn 83H and a 2G ... but it's about the player not the horn.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:10AM »

...but it's about the player not the horn.

Chris Stearn

Thats the reality we all have to face sooner or later ... :/  Good!
Chris, do you have plans on making another trombone with more "Conn Elkhart vibes"? Could be interesting but its not easy since many have tried?

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
CSO

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:15AM »

Oft quoted recording. I should credit Derek Bishop who was the other bass trombone on that recording. Conn 83H and a 2G ... but it's about the player not the horn.

Chris Stearn

In Washington DC we used have a radio station called WGMS that played classical music all the time.  In the late 90s I was driving along listening to this station when I came upon an orchestral piece that moved me so much I had to pull over and listen to the whole thing to make sure I found out who the composer was and what orchestra.  The whole thing was great but what really stood out was a bass trombonist who absolutely took over.

It ended up being Kalinnikov #1 being performed by the Scottish National Orchestra under Neeme Jarvi.  Was Bob Hughes the bass on that recording?

In anycase I bought a lot of Scottish National Orchestra recordings after that!

"Tone quality is earned. It's not part of the purchase price of ANY bass trombone."  - Mike Suter
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:18PM »

The Alpine, Heldenleben, Don Juan, Tod und verklarung with the Scottish National orchestra is on iTunes. You dont believe it before you listen it! I bet Bob Hughes use the 60h on this? Anyway, all the brass, the hole orchestra is special on this recording. The oboe player...amazing. 

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:39PM »

Bob Hughes was most likely the bass on all those recordings. Also listen to the amazing trumpet of John Gracie.

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:37AM »

On this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3PFX8aCvj8 heís up close and on the mic.

https://www.discogs.com/Kai-Windings-Trombones-And-Orchestra-And-Orchestra-Kai-Olť/release/8430632

I owned this album in the í70ís and bought it during a long tour of the US, have just grabbed it again on Amazon. Oh Joy!!

The CD arrived today and has 2 Bass tbns, Tony Stud and George West. Anyone know anything about him?

(A 2017 reissue by the way.)

In my reality..
ronnies

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:55AM »

In Washington DC we used have a radio station called WGMS that played classical music all the time.  In the late 90s I was driving along listening to this station when I came upon an orchestral piece that moved me so much I had to pull over and listen to the whole thing to make sure I found out who the composer was and what orchestra.  The whole thing was great but what really stood out was a bass trombonist who absolutely took over.

It ended up being Kalinnikov #1 being performed by the Scottish National Orchestra under Neeme Jarvi.  Was Bob Hughes the bass on that recording?

In anycase I bought a lot of Scottish National Orchestra recordings after that!

I have the same recording.  I bought it after hearing them playing it live in the Usher Hall.  Lance Green, Brian Free and Bob Hughes I think.

Ronnie

--
Slowly getting back into it...
LeoInFL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2018, 05:03AM »

FYI, I contacted Wessex today regarding availability and price and here is their response:

Will be available June with price of $1,450

Best Regards,
Jonathan Hodgetts

Mobile +44(0)7787 504987
Email: WessexTubas@me.com

Now we know!  :)

Leo
CFC Arts Symphony Orchestra
Orlando Concert Band (sub)

'54 Olds Custom (Olds 2)
'05 Getzen 3047AFR  (Bousfield S)
harrison.t.reed

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:06AM »

That is an insane price if Wessex's reputation is to be believed. If you get a great horn for that price ... UMI and Yamaha are in trouble....

Edwards Tenor
Conn Alto
Griego Mouthpiece
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:44AM »

As this thread now includes the price of the item in question then it MUST be removed and moved to the CLASSIFIEDS section of the forum, as per standing conditions of the terms of usage.

Thank you, Chris.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:50AM »

As this thread now includes the price of the item in question then it MUST be removed and moved to the CLASSIFIEDS section of the forum, as per standing conditions of the terms of usage.

Thank you, Chris.

I have seen nothing from Hodgetts or Chipolah offering it for sale.  This is exactly the same as reporting the street prices of a Stone Line Mute.  No need to move to Classifieds.

Don't like Wessex?  Fine.  Don't buy one.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:20AM »

From the TOS:

Posts for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service you sell or represent for compensation. (Posts making the community aware of the existence of products and services, and which are clearly starting points for discussion and questions about the product or service, are not considered explicit advertising.)

Emphasis mine.

This thread and all of it's contents thusfar are clearly discussion and questions about this particular instrument and the price was posted by an unaffiliated person. 

A similar example: If I was to go to the Conn 88 thread that is currently ongoing post the MSRP, we wouldn't move it to the Classifieds either.  You could conceivably make the argument that if a CS rep were to post the price that it would be grey area but that isn't what happened here.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:44AM »

UMI... that is a name I havenít heard in years... not since before you were born. :p

Why am I not practicing?????
harrison.t.reed

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:51AM »

UMI... that is a name I haven’t heard in years... not since before you were born. :p

So when you were one year old? What the heck?

Conn-Selmer then, whatever. A 32 year old shouldn't be pretending to be an old fart. We're both young, man.

Edwards Tenor
Conn Alto
Griego Mouthpiece
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:58AM »

UMI... that is a name I havenít heard in years... not since before you were born. :p

UMI merged with Selmer in 2002.  I think most participating in this thread were born.   Evil

Decent instrument for < $1500?  Man...good thing I don't plan on selling my Holton.  I probably wouldn't get as much now.   Eeek!

schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:01AM »

I have seen nothing from Hodgetts or Chipolah offering it for sale.  This is exactly the same as reporting the street prices of a Stone Line Mute.  No need to move to Classifieds.

Don't like Wessex?  Fine.  Don't buy one.

I donít think Chip is in any condition to offer anything.
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:26AM »

I am just messing with your Mr. Reed! No offense meant.

Why am I not practicing?????
harrison.t.reed

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:41AM »

I gotcha. My old decrepit back hurts now. I was feeling young too!

I do want to try Wessex now....

Edwards Tenor
Conn Alto
Griego Mouthpiece
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:48AM »

Thank you, Chris.

New hall monitor?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: