Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097030 Posts in 72563 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) New Wessex PBF565 bass trombone
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Wessex PBF565 bass trombone  (Read 4277 times)
mcjohnbone

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:28PM »

Does anyone know if this is the bass trombone that was displayed at the Army Band Tuba Conference?  If so:

I only spent a few minutes playing the instrument because the 2nd valve lever interfered with my (very normal) left-hand grip (and Jonathan didn't have the right tool to adjust the paddle) but, ergonomics aside, I don't have any complaints about the instrument.  The valves blew pretty well, especially low C and B, the upper register was easy, and intonation was predictable.  I can't speak to the quality of the sound since we were in an exhibit hall.  I'm more of a "modern horn" kind of guy but at this price point I can't think of anything that touches this instrument for quality and play-ability.  Well done!

I also spent about 5 minutes playing the contra prototype. Compared to the Jin Bao/Wessex/Schiller/what-have-you Thein-inspired contra:
Pros:  no slide springs, bell at 3rd-ish position, rotary valves (as opposed to re-imagined Hagmanns).
Cons:  a somewhat unfocused blow, no built-in support.

I hope updates of both instruments return for the trombone conference in March!

John McGinness

Bass Trombonist
Delaware Symphony Orchestra
Charlottesville (VA) Opera Orchestra
Williamsburg (VA) Symphony Orchestra
Roanoke (VA) Symphony Orchestra
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:22PM »

Does anyone know if this is the bass trombone that was displayed at the Army Band Tuba Conference?  If so:

I only spent a few minutes playing the instrument because the 2nd valve lever interfered with my (very normal) left-hand grip (and Jonathan didn't have the right tool to adjust the paddle) but, ergonomics aside, I don't have any complaints about the instrument.  The valves blew pretty well, especially low C and B, the upper register was easy, and intonation was predictable.  I can't speak to the quality of the sound since we were in an exhibit hall.  I'm more of a "modern horn" kind of guy but at this price point I can't think of anything that touches this instrument for quality and play-ability.  Well done!

I also spent about 5 minutes playing the contra prototype. Compared to the Jin Bao/Wessex/Schiller/what-have-you Thein-inspired contra:
Pros:  no slide springs, bell at 3rd-ish position, rotary valves (as opposed to re-imagined Hagmanns).
Cons:  a somewhat unfocused blow, no built-in support.

I hope updates of both instruments return for the trombone conference in March!

Nice to hear positive comments John. The second valve lever on the pre-pros was very conventional and comfortable but the Chinese seem to have a habit of making second valve levers over long... I have no idea why. I worked hard to get a top quality feel that does not normally come at this price level and I hope that players will like the sound when they get to try it in concert halls. Only time will tell.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:55AM »

This instrument is getting some good reviews and press at TMEA in Texas. I'm sure others will chime in.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:04PM »

TMEA isnít until Thursday of this coming week... I have to be there Tuesday to start setting up. Wessex is doing a tour of Texas but they havenít been at TMEA yet. I plan to try this horn later this week.

Why am I not practicing?????
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:36PM »

TMEA isnít until Thursday of this coming week... I have to be there Tuesday to start setting up. Wessex is doing a tour of Texas but they havenít been at TMEA yet. I plan to try this horn later this week.
Sorry, sorry. Misunderstood where folks were trying the horn this weekend.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:47PM »

I think they were at UNT this weekend. Very cool!

Why am I not practicing?????
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: