Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092682 Posts in 72311 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Edwards BAN slides  (Read 313 times)
bassboneman

View Profile
« on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:00PM »

Hello all,

Does anyone have an idea of how these slides feel as compared to the dual bore brass w/ nickel over sleeves?
I would rather not throw away $800.

Sam

mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:29PM »

An all nickel slide will remind you of the slides on your Holtons.

The tubes on the lightweight slides are pretty thick so the slotting doesn't go completely out the window but you'll notice the slots are a little wider and the blow a little less focused verses your Holton slide which has oversleeves.

I almost bought a all nickel slide when I owned my Shires because it reminded me of my Holtons.

Note my comments are comparing a all nickel Shires slide verses a Holton slide.

Minick Custom Bass Trombone, 1980's, Doug Elliott LB
Conn 8H, 1950's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:47PM »

I have a nickel-lightweight slide on my Shires bass (I bought it used), if that's any help to you. The feel is largely one of greater "rigidity"/"firmness" than the brass equivalent when blowing through the horn, and articulations speak extremely quickly and easily. However, you give up some quality of the sound (Width? Complexity?).

Last time I was at Shires (~2 years ago at this point?) I tried the standard B62 against my NLW version, and, while the lightweight one was definitely easier to play, the other people in the room (my father, a friend, maybe one of the employees) unanimously preferred the sound of the standard brass version. I wasn't in the market (read: didn't have the money) for a new slide at the time, and couldn't really hear the difference from my side of the bell, but everyone else was very emphatic in their preference for the brass slide's tone.

Again, different company, comparing single to single rather than vs. dual, and not something that I personally experienced....... but maybe it will prove helpful.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
GetzenBassPlayer

"Learn as little as you have to, as well a"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:16AM »

I have both slides and to me they blow the same. The sound is different. I feel like there is more clarity/ color in the nickel slide.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: