Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096558 Posts in 72524 Topics- by 19537 Members - Latest Member: philthomas
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentAccessories(Moderator: Greg Waits) What leadpipes do you guys use in your TIS Bass Trombones?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What leadpipes do you guys use in your TIS Bass Trombones?  (Read 715 times)
mr.deacon

View Profile
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:15PM »

Hello! I'm just putting a feeler out there!

What leadpipes do you guys use in your TIS Bass Trombones? I'm currently on the leadpipe hunt again!

I'm especially curious if any of you have spent any significant time on a Brassark BH62 pipe!

What are your opinions on Brad's seamed copper pipes in a TIS Bass?

Thanks!

Minick Custom Bass Trombone, 1980's, Doug Elliott LB
Conn 8H, 1950's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:19PM »

We should get together and swap some... I have two press-fit 50 leadpipes you could try. One new, one old.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Denis Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, NY Bach 7
Bob Weller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:19PM »

I use a MK Drawing GR brass leadpipe in my Minick 62H but also like the Schatz #3 leadpipe. For years I used an original Minick C. Every leadpipe varies from the same maker. I also have my original 62H with the original fixed Conn pipe that plays great. I haven't tried Brad's pipes.

Thanks, Bob

Bob Weller
Bones Southwest
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:28PM »

I use a Kanstul 62. Used to use the Kanstul GR2, both are very nice. In my Kanstul 1662i.
jimkinkella

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:56PM »

I've tried the BH62 in seamed copper, it was a bit dark for me.
Response is really nice and comfortable, though.

Right now I'm using a Conn 62C in one horn and a stock 60H in another.
Been thinking about picking up an MK GR in nickle, should be interesting if nothing else.

I have seamed copper pipes in a couple of other smaller horns that I really like, just depends on the horn.
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:45AM »

Thanks for the responses!

The instrument in question is a Minick J tuning crook style bass trombone that used to have a Minick C pipe in it. The pipe was damaged and needed to be replaced, I've been looking for a replacement since I bought the horn. Right now I've got a Brassark MV50B pipe in it but I feel like the pipe is a hair too tight for this horn... what I do like about the pipe is that it tames the unfocused nature of the horn.

I tried a slew of pipes at Hornguys. The Kanstul 62H pipe, Kanstul Minick C pipe and Shires #2 pipe all made the horn blow very well but I lost all the character in my sound I was getting with my Brassark pipes or any stock Bach pipes I've tried. So I'm probably going to stay away from Kanstul and Shires pipes.

jimkinkella, thank you for the response about the seamed copper! Looks like I should stick with YB. I remember trying your Greenhoe TIS bass at your place and that thing still haunts my dreams!

Bob, I'll look into picking up a MK GR pipe. I had a prototype when they first came out but it wasn't the best fit for the Holton I had at the time so my impressions of it are a bit skewed. If it works great in your Minick 62H I'll definitely have to consider picking one up! I also found the Schatz #3 and Brassark Schatz style pipes to be a good fit for TIS horns. The particular Schatz pipe I have is a hair too unfocused for the Minick bass I have ): Worked perfect in the TR185 I used to have!

Burgerbob we'll have to for sure get together sometime! You'll get a real kick out of the horn if you spend a little more time blowing on it!

Anyone one else have experience with leadpipes and TIS bass trombones?

jimkinkella

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:11PM »

Hey Philip,
I've tried a BH62 seamed copper in that horn, spent quite a bit of time with it.
I liked the sound best with a Shires B2, but the Brassark was the most consistent and stable pipe to play that I tried.
Super cool horn, just not what I was looking for.
You're going to sound quite a bit different than me, so it might be worth asking Brad if he's got one hanging around to at least check out.
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:17PM »

Okay, here's another option that has served me well in the past.... a Callet pipe if you can find one... great with TIS Conns.
Regarding ALL pipes, they vary from example to example.... keep looking, keep trying.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Bob Riddle

"Having more fun every day!!!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:20PM »

I love my Callet pipe for Bass Trombone. Have not been playing any bass trombone lately.Not looking to sell mine,but for the right $$ just might.

Bob
swissbone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:06PM »

Hi,

I have a BH62 seamed copper pipe. It's really nice - depending on what you want and what kind of music you play. I'm a jazz guy, playing lots of Big Band and small Band with soloing. The shortcoming for me is the sound (and how it blends with the tenors). Performance wise its an incredible pipe. Thats why I ordered a seamed yellow brass pipe ;-) (still waitng for it)
With a red Bell and J bend plus TiS its a little to dark and therefore too much work for me (in the musical context I'm working in) Excellent response and as Noah writes on his website, a nice bloom of sound. In German I woud say a "erhabener" Sound. Is "sublime" the right translation for that word?

I also Played for longer periods and in concert situations (very important part!!!) in my TiS: Schatz #3, Minick C (original) and 169 (Kanstul copy) (I don't like too open pipes or pipes that lack high overtones. just to give you a perspective. Playing on small to medium sized mouthpieces on a Minick 62h/60h TiS trombone (whatever the exact description of that thing might be...))

Right now I've got the standard Conn pipe in it that came with the trombone. Best mix of playability, retaining the core of sound at high volumes and overall sound.
Minick C is getting too bright at high volumes (probably because its old and therefore very thin) Minick L is not efficient enough and not the right sound and feel.
Schatz #3 is still the best sounding pipe that I have played but too much work and not so good intonation.

Yes, a callet pipe would be nice to try. Also an original Burt Herrick pipe as well. Maybe one day I have to take some lessons somewhere in the northern Part of GB ;-) only made it to London so far  :/

Play the music, not the instrument
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:50PM »

Thanks for the response swissbone! Your statements seem further solidify what everyone else has put in the thread.

I'm still plugging away with the early production MV50B pipe. I've finally gotten used to it. There's still something about it I don't dig... I'm not sure what it is... but it matches the horn so much better then either of my Minick/Schatz TR185 pipes that I'm not in too much of a hurry to replace it haha.

A yellow pressfit BH62 pipe is next on my list of pipes to get! I would totally try and find a original Minick C pipe but they are so absurdly rare I doubt I'd ever find one in my budget.

If anyone has a used BH62 pipe for sale please let me know!

swissbone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:22PM »

Thanks for the response swissbone! Your statements seem further solidify what everyone else has put in the thread.

If anyone has a used BH62 pipe for sale please let me know!

Sure, any time.

(I have a yellow brass seamless with shires threads for sale btw)

Play the music, not the instrument
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: