Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097033 Posts in 72563 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) Bass Trombones: Yamaha YBL-613 vs. Benge Symphonic 290
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bass Trombones: Yamaha YBL-613 vs. Benge Symphonic 290  (Read 1178 times)
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:07AM »

In my experience, the problem with closed wrap horns - beyond the obvious problem of condensation from time to time - is that they have more solder points to get screwed up when getting built. But you look at some of the most coveted horns at the moment and they are closed wrap horns --- Mt. Vernon 36/42/50 & Elkhart 88Hs (and to some extent the straight versions of these).

That said, if you have a closed wrap horn that you don't like the way it plays... have a tech give it a look over.  I've done this to a variety of older horns and the results have been definitely worth it.  Some more minor than others, but some the change was unbelievable. 

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:12PM »

In my experience the 61x basses could benefit from some work if you donít know how it was handled beforehand. A colleague of mine had work done on his and they straightened out some stress in the wrap with much improvement. And I felt it could use less bracing. Fine horns though.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: