Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097060 Posts in 72473 Topics- by 19552 Members - Latest Member: ericburger
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Conn 111H  (Read 494 times)
mr.deacon

View Profile
« on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:21PM »

I've never actually seen one of these before! Looks pretty beat up but it's cool to actually see one and associate a image to the model number! Seems to hare a lot of similarities with the Minick bass I picked up from Noah.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Conn-111H-Bass-Trombone/222823336267?hash=item33e14e494b:g:uW8AAOSwZfNadkKL

Minick Custom Bass Trombone, 1980's, Doug Elliott LB
Conn 8H, 1950's, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11" GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:56PM »

Yeah, that main tuning slide brace is the same one on the early 112H I was asking about a couple months ago that I had suspected might have had Minick involvement. Apparently they switched to a cylindrical brace at some point but the earliest ones have the curlycue thing.

I'm a bit suspicious of the Eb designation for the second valve. That looks long enough to be a D to me. Of course, even if it were an Eb when fully pushed in, you'd probably have room to pull the slide to D and approach Db anyway, but I wonder how they determined the "base" tuning.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2018, 05:47PM »

It looks like it comes with two second valve slides. The longer one is a D slide and the shorter one is a Eb slide.

I suspect in person the D slide doesn't look so absurdly long.

Bellend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:53AM »

Somewhere in my loft I have a black and white Conn flyer for the new 100 series trombones.The horns in the photos from memory look like the actual Minick prototypes. The little 'tootsie roll' balance weights are all milled flat on each side, I'll try and dig it out and scan it.

BellEnd
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2018, 01:08PM by Bellend » Logged
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:38AM »

Somewhere in my loft I have a black and white Conn flyer for the new 100 series trombones.The horns in the photos from memory look like the actual Minick prototypes. The little 'tootsie roll' balance weights are all milled flat on each side, I'll try and dig it out and scan it.

BellEnd

That's interesting, because the 112 I was looking at in person had a fully round "tootsie roll". Still, they must have gotten rid of them pretty quickly since I was convinced that the horn was a Minick when I first saw it and I've seen several 112H's (though probably considerably more modern ones).

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
Bellend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:06PM »

I've dug out the old Conn flyer and scanned it. Hopefully this link will take you to it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwwyyeaq799145g/Conn%20100.jpg?dl=0

When you blow the image up you can see that the balance wieghts are slightly different and also to my eye it looks like the basses have over sleeves on the top of the  outer slides.

Sorry the quality is not brilliant but the original is quite old and torn so to protect it I put it inside a plastic film.

BellEnd
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:36PM »

Nice find! Those totally look like they could be original Minicks.

If you look you can also notice the tubing on the wrap for the 111H is also different. It using two of the curvy pieces for the open wrap instead of one like in the 111H on eBay.

Also note the levers on the 111H look like they could be the original style solid brass levers you see on Minick converted basses instead of the janky Conn style levers. 

My original Minick bass has the flat style brace Bellend is talking about.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: