Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096406 Posts in 72513 Topics- by 19533 Members - Latest Member: marymsmith
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) 2B playing/tonal characteristics through the years?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2B playing/tonal characteristics through the years?  (Read 246 times)
tmsbandman

View Profile
« on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:48PM »

Hi all.  I have a 1940 2B that I am very happy with, but I've always been curious.  Is there a consensus on how 2Bs play from different eras? 

I know my original 3B (1978) is a totally different blow than my current 3B (1955).  The leadpipe design was totally different.  1978 one had a 2 piece pipe.

So how about the 2B?  I really like mine, but how do those from other time periods compare?  I realize that there are variations off the assembly line, but in general....

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:58PM »

I feel the older ones are a little heavier.  Probably because you needed a little more "guts" to push through in an unamplified band.  Personally, I like them more.  Latest ones feel a lot more "tinny" to me.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
tmsbandman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:23PM »

That makes sense.  I have not compared to others.  The only other 2B I've ever played was a SilverTone of similar vintage, but this hirn surprised me in that it doesn't "play small".  Sure...it FEELS small in my hands (I'm 6'3") but it plays bigger than expected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: