Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097060 Posts in 72473 Topics- by 19552 Members - Latest Member: ericburger
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The search with 800 dollars  (Read 316 times)
Chromium

View Profile WWW
« on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:44PM »

I may get an 800 dollar budget to spend on a horn, and have been doing research on places such as ebay for good deal horns that are new. I found these so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YSL-882GO-Xeno-Series-Tenor-Trombone-With-F-Attachment-Yellow-Brass/332544772039?epid=1622594056&hash=item4d6d3687c7:g:zDcAAOSwDkVaeLy8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Packer-Trombone-133MLR-Bb-F-Medium-large-bore-Rose-brass-finish/182934487557?hash=item2a97bec205:g:wJIAAOSwvg9Xckmi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GETZEN-ETERNA-747-II-Larger-Bore-Trombone-w-F-Trigger-Case-Mouth-Piece-and-Oil/112791896442?hash=item1a42ebc17a:g:z9cAAOSwM~taa3i2

1st link: I'm in the known for the Xeno series horns. Have heard that they're really good. Issue is, this listing is a bidding. The 800 budget, I do not have in hand, and is more of an aim, so still searching nonetheless.

2nd Link: Personally, I've never heard of John Packer horns, but from the prices, I assume the construction is good and quality is nice, would want some feedback for all you packer players in here.

3rd Link: I remember seeing a Getzen on here from time to time, and heard no bad chatter about them. Horn looks good and caught my eye when looking with said budget.

So far, these are the only ones I come across that aren't horn shaped objects from china, and for the most part, are all reputable brands. Opinions, etc are more than welcome. I play the Blessing B-88-0 and Holton TR183 which are school horns (In high school, looking to march next year). So perhaps these factors could lead me in the direction on what to take.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:10PM »

JP Rath play pretty well. I've really lked all the ones that I've tried.  THey haven't been around for very long though so not sure if they'll stand the test of time so to speak.

I like the Getzen 700 series too. I prefer the 525/547 horn but the 547 horn also plays well, which I believe is what that horn is.

There is a used JP Rath for sale in the classifieds here you might want to investigate.  The typical recommendation here is to get a separate horn for marching.  F attachments don't do so great marching and you'll havean expensive investment on the field with all sorts of craziness happening at the same time.  Better to potentially lower the budget and find a cheap Olds Ambassador, King 606, YSL354, etc. (a playable one CAN be found for under $100 if you are patient) and then use that as your beater horn.  If you go used here you might even be able to still be under budget.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:19PM »

Whatever you get, don't use it for marching.  Keep using a school horn for that.

Consider used.  You will get a lot more horn for your money.  I know a new one looks nice and shiny, but for $800 you aren't going to get much in a new horn.

I would suggest getting in touch with Forum member DJ Kennedy.  He has a house full (literally) of used horns that may not be beautiful but play well.  And good prices to match.  Also has a knack of matching horn to player.

If you are still insistent on a new horn, there are a few vendors of Chinese made instruments who will provide something that is playable.  Packer is one.  Wessex Tubas is another, and Jim Laabs is another.  I'd stay away from Indian instruments and any other Chinese.  An especially strong warning is for one that costs $100 with $349.99 Shipping (your money refunded if not satisfied, but not the shipping).

You aren't going to find a Yamaha Xeno, Shires, Edwards, Rath, Bach Strad, Conn, or Getzen 3xxx at your price point.  At least not one in playable condition.  Used is another matter.  But a decent horn for $800 may not look pretty.  Or maybe doesn't have an F-attachment.  Or maybe isn't large bore.  They are out there, but you will have to be patient.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
cozzagiorgi
Schnädäräbänz!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:39PM »

The Xeno will go up in price really fast.

For your price point I would look into used straight horns. Yamaha ysl 647 play great and are around your budget.

I'm to bad to be a pro...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: