Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096406 Posts in 72513 Topics- by 19533 Members - Latest Member: marymsmith
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on the JP/Rath 231?  (Read 662 times)
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:03AM »

With all the various horn buying and selling I have done in the past few years, I now realize that I miss having a straight .525/8" horn. I love my Bach 36B, but most of the time playing first parts in concert band, I don't need the trigger. I am not inclined to drop a bunch of money on a straight 36 at the moment. So I was wondering if anyone was familiar the the JP/Rath 231. Those horns seem to get generally favorable reviews, but it is hard to mind much specific information about this one other than the basic specs.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/john-packer-john-packer-jp231-rath-tenor-trombone.html#informationtab

bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:29AM »

Tried a few. All great. Very consistent quality.

I'll say it again: 95% of the quality of a real Rath, for 25% of the price.

Ergonomic dream to hold. Easy to blow. Not a Bach or a Conn, not a Yamaha. Something unique and it feels great.
Koz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:57AM »

With all the various horn buying and selling I have done in the past few years, I now realize that I miss having a straight .525/8" horn. I love my Bach 36B, but most of the time playing first parts in concert band, I don't need the trigger. I am not inclined to drop a bunch of money on a straight 36 at the moment. So I was wondering if anyone was familiar the the JP/Rath 231. Those horns seem to get generally favorable reviews, but it is hard to mind much specific information about this one other than the basic specs.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/john-packer-john-packer-jp231-rath-tenor-trombone.html#informationtab

I've had a JP/Rath 231 for a period of time.
The horn played great but was very heavy (weight wise)

Overall a very nice .525 bore trombone!

Koz

trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:50AM »

Itís a nice horn. I like mine. It is a bit front heavy so I added some weight on the back. The slide is good, but not as good as a boutique horn. That being said, Iíd like to sell mine to finance some other projects. Let me know if you decide to pick one up and we could probably work something out.

Kris Danielsen
Boston University Doctoral Candidate
MikeBMiller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:29PM »

Kris - can you throw that thing on a scale and see what it weighs? Thanks.
Catastrophone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:54AM »

Iíve got a lot of students on 231ís. They are exceptional horns for the money. They blow really well (although not as well as a good 36B in my opinion) and the slides are generally excellent.

There are some ways in which the price shows though. There can be some quality issues with the valves which can be prone to sticking. The linkage occasionally has alignment issues as well. Sometimes after a few years you can get bits unsoldering themselves.

I keep recommending them as a step up horn as the good far outweighs the bad.
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:11AM »

Kris - can you throw that thing on a scale and see what it weighs? Thanks.

Yes Iíll do it at some point today.

Kris Danielsen
MikeBMiller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:23PM »

Iíve got a lot of students on 231ís. They are exceptional horns for the money. They blow really well (although not as well as a good 36B in my opinion) and the slides are generally excellent.

There are some ways in which the price shows though. There can be some quality issues with the valves which can be prone to sticking. The linkage occasionally has alignment issues as well. Sometimes after a few years you can get bits unsoldering themselves.

I keep recommending them as a step up horn as the good far outweighs the bad.

I was looking at the straight horn - so valves don't matter. Thanks.
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:28PM »

1500 grams. Bell was 889, slide was 611. This is including the stock counterweight.

Kris Danielsen
Catastrophone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2018, 04:55PM »

I was looking at the straight horn - so valves don't matter. Thanks.

Sorry got confused with the 331. Should have read your original post more carefully......
MikeBMiller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:19PM »

1500 grams. Bell was 889, slide was 611. This is including the stock counterweight.

Thanks. How much would you want for yours?
trombonemetal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:29PM »

I sent you an email earlier today.

Kris Danielsen
deanmccarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:40AM »

They are pretty good.  I have the .500 version as my backup horn... played it in a show in Vegas last year... I had no complaints from anyone.  With that said... I may be putting my Rath R3 on the market... so you could get a great deal on a full blown Rath R3 straight horn WITH a case.  Stay tuned in the next couple of days!

Dean McCarty <><
freelance trombonist, Houston area
2 Corinthians 13:14
MikeBMiller

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:23PM »

They are pretty good.  I have the .500 version as my backup horn... played it in a show in Vegas last year... I had no complaints from anyone.  With that said... I may be putting my Rath R3 on the market... so you could get a great deal on a full blown Rath R3 straight horn WITH a case.  Stay tuned in the next couple of days!

I already have an R3 slide mated to an R4 bell. I call it my R3.5. But the bits to convert that to a straight horn would be more than the 231. I got a quote from Dillons one time and just the counterweight was something like $400. I know these are great horns, but that seems a bit excessive.

I should have never sold my straight 36.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: