Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097030 Posts in 72563 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bach50A3G vs Bach50B3LO  (Read 220 times)
MontyPython

View Profile
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:46PM »

So I just bought a Bach 50A3G, after having been playing a few years on a 50B3LO, and thought Id write my impressions.  I know you didn't ask for my opinion but here it is anyway. Im an intermediate player who plays with some community bands. 
Overall I like the A3 but just wanted to mention some contrasts.  Most concerning was that most trombones I play on, I need about 3/4 inch of raw brass out on the tuning slide.  But this A3 was tuned all the way in, exactly. 
Second the F trigger is a round plastic dowel on the A3, and if you are "big boned" the linkage bumps or rocks into your cheek.  The 50B has a nice flat metal spatula. 
The A3 came with a very light slide, and overall feels lighter, and is very nimble compared to the tank of the 50B that was made in the 90's.  I cant tell if its just the lightness, but I perceive my 50B as "better made"
The higher copper one piece bell sounds great, but I noticed in the lacquer where I could see the nibbing and brazing seam.  It was interesting to see gold with a slightly bit of yellow brass braze.   
The Gb rotor spring seems a little slow due to the length of the linkage. The hagmann valves feel better, but isn't as big a difference as I thought. 
 I can see my music better with the smaller bell.   :)
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:14PM »

Overall I like the A3 but just wanted to mention some contrasts.  Most concerning was that most trombones I play on, I need about 3/4 inch of raw brass out on the tuning slide.  But this A3 was tuned all the way in, exactly. 

Maybe the other was cut shorter? I've done that on every Bach I've owned.

The A3 came with a very light slide, and overall feels lighter, and is very nimble compared to the tank of the 50B that was made in the 90's.  I cant tell if its just the lightness, but I perceive my 50B as "better made"

Try swapping slides. The Bach LW slide is not for everyone.

The higher copper one piece bell sounds great, but I noticed in the lacquer where I could see the nibbing and brazing seam.  It was interesting to see gold with a slightly bit of yellow brass braze. 

You see that with any gold or red brass bell with a brazed seam.

The Gb rotor spring seems a little slow due to the length of the linkage. The hagmann valves feel better, but isn't as big a difference as I thought. 

A linkage can be long and still very fast. Oil the valves A LOT. And if it doesn't speed up, bring it in for work. Hagmann valves can be lightning quick and respond great, but because there's only a spindle on one side it's easy for them to be misaligned.

Enjoy!

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:43PM »

Maybe the other was cut shorter? I've done that on every Bach I've owned.

The 50A3 is even longer than a "normal" Bach bass, so even more of that issue.

Agreed on the slide swap.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Denis Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, NY Bach 7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: