Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097027 Posts in 72562 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, Greg Waits) JP Rath Alto and Other Bargain Altos
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JP Rath Alto and Other Bargain Altos  (Read 580 times)
sterb225

View Profile
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:57PM »

Just appointed principle chair in the community orchestra I've been playing in for some time.  I've got some big shoes to fill and as such will need to actually become proficient on alto.  I've dabbled in the past with a Jin Bao that I hated and recently did trials of a Courtois that was way out of my budget and Werril with a too heavy tuning in slide slide.  I''m thinking of the JP Path, Wessex and possibly the Jin Bao that has been rubbed by The Horn Guys.  Also open to other suggestions for a new or used alto in the $1k range.  For context I play T-396 with a Griego Alessi 1C as my daily driver.  Thanks.

Olds Ambassador
Bach 36G LT
Edwards T-396A / Griego Alessi 1C
Bach 50B2 w/ Willson Bell
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:13PM »

If you didn't like the Jin Bao, while the leadpipe does make a difference, I find the JP Rath and the Wessex to be leaps and bounds better than the Jin Bao. (The only one of these I haven't owned is the JP Rath, but I have tried it).

I have a Wessex 525/547 right now that I really like.  It is on the bigger side of things and you do have to pull the tuning slide out to get a decent 7th position E, but the slide is smooth.  It plays a little bigger than other altos but not nearly as much as you would imagine being so large.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

"Tenor & Bass, Jazz & Classical"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:36PM »

I like my 236.  Good horn.  Pretty even up and down.  Sounds like an alto.

cozzagiorgi
Schnädäräbänz!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:08PM »

For 200 usd more you can essily find a k&h 122 used. Why get a copy if you can get the real deal? Pm me if you want to know more.

I'm to bad to be a pro...
Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:07AM »

For 200 usd more you can essily find a k&h 122 used. Why get a copy if you can get the real deal? Pm me if you want to know more.
I had one of those, too, and a reasonable player.  I wish I still had it to compare to the JP.  I sold it when I bought a Shires, which I eventually sold and replaced with my cheapie JP.  Oh well.

cozzagiorgi
Schnädäräbänz!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:28AM »

I think they are cool horns and pretty easy to sound good on. Not hard to learn for an alto.
The k& Hoyer

I'm to bad to be a pro...
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:00AM »

I have a Weril Alto and I agree that it is Front heavy.
I put an old King Counter weight on it and I actually think it plays better with the counter weight.
I tried a bunch of the Bargain Altos and (for me ) the Weril felt the best and the transition from Tenor to Alto was easier

“Where words leave off, music begins.”
― Heinrich Heine
Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:10AM »

I have a Weril Alto and I agree that it is Front heavy.
I put an old King Counter weight on it and I actually think it plays better with the counter weight.
I tried a bunch of the Bargain Altos and (for me ) the Weril felt the best and the transition from Tenor to Alto was easier
I forgot about that  I also had a Weril alto, tuning-in-slide.  Ehh. I didn't love it, and ergonomically it wasn't so nice.  Front heavy, as previously mentioned.

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:03AM »

Weril is TIS, right?  Seems like you can either get a comfortable E or have a horn that is comfortable to hold... but not both! Makes me wonder if something like an alto tuned to 442 or 443 without the tuning --- but with a long slide and a comfortable E --- would be popular.  Could give the benefits of a TIS instrument minus the weight and porblems with the TIS mechanism.

sterb225

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:46PM »

Weril is TIS - horrifically heavy fell to the slide IMHO.  Though I must say that I did not try a counterweight and may now revisit the one I tried again ...

Olds Ambassador
Bach 36G LT
Edwards T-396A / Griego Alessi 1C
Bach 50B2 w/ Willson Bell
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:58PM »

I was thinking about adding an F attachment to one.  It's 500 bore and a 3BF attachment or 607F woul dwork. (There's a thread where I ask as much and all the techs here gave me some great advice that I never ended up following up on).  I was pseudo-quoted/estimated that ti would be ca. $500 in labor.  That's a lot more than a counterweight and that was a few years ago so that might be different... but I'd imagine an open wrap valve that extended behind your head would go a long way towards making it balanced.  I need to secure some funds, but I'm thinking about doing it very soon to my Wessex (with a 562 valve).

sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:27PM »

I have a Wessex 525/547 right now that I really like.  It is on the bigger side of things and you do have to pull the tuning slide out to get a decent 7th position E, but the slide is smooth.  It plays a little bigger than other altos but not nearly as much as you would imagine being so large.

I have an older Wessex with a single bore slide and I like it very much. The sound is clear and there are no problems turning the volume up or down. 6th harmonic Bs and Cs need a big correction, but otherwise the intonation is pretty tame. Fit and finish is a bit cheap: ferrule shape, the slide lock, water key etc but I don't care. It cost $500.

Other altos I've tried were from Courtois (horrible, fit only for car-horn duty), and Yamaha who make a good, well-designed instrument as you'd expect.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:47PM »

I have an older Wessex with a single bore slide and I like it very much. The sound is clear and there are no problems turning the volume up or down. 6th harmonic Bs and Cs need a big correction, but otherwise the intonation is pretty tame. Fit and finish is a bit cheap: ferrule shape, the slide lock, water key etc but I don't care. It cost $500.

Other altos I've tried were from Courtois (horrible, fit only for car-horn duty), and Yamaha who make a good, well-designed instrument as you'd expect.

Single 525/525 or was it the Jin Bao (470?) model? (Just curious for those who might be reading in the future! e.g. Specifically, future me most likely  Evil)

I'm a little surprised by the Courtois.  I've yet to try one that I didn't like even if it wasn't my particular cup of tea. At least modern ones.  Although I know Steve Davis likes his old Courtouis from the 80s!

deanmccarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:09PM »

My JP Rath alto is great!  SO much better than the Jin Bao.

Dean McCarty <><
freelance trombonist, Houston area
2 Corinthians 13:14
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:10AM »

Single 525/525 or was it the Jin Bao (470?) model? (Just curious for those who might be reading in the future! e.g. Specifically, future me most likely  Evil)

I'm a little surprised by the Courtois.  I've yet to try one that I didn't like even if it wasn't my particular cup of tea. At least modern ones.  Although I know Steve Davis likes his old Courtouis from the 80s!

Yes, definitely Wessex single bore. Apparently this instrument (or just the slide section?) is no longer made - which means it's vintage! Truly right up there with NY Bach kit  :/

The Courtois horn was not a modern one. It really did sound like a car horn. After a lot of careful practice the sound improved a bit and I sounded like Roadrunner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: