Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097029 Posts in 72563 Topics- by 19541 Members - Latest Member: Zorgnot
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumClassified AdvertisementsClassified Advertisements(Moderator: Greg Waits) 1959 Elkhart Conn 8H Trombone in Excellent Condition
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1959 Elkhart Conn 8H Trombone in Excellent Condition  (Read 1281 times)
trombonetrader

View Profile
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:55PM »

1959 Elkhart Conn 8H Trombone in Excellent Condition. No dents. Removable original Elkhart lead pipe. Original case. Inner tubes are new. 98% lacquer. Has a beautiful sound and point/center to the blow. Top technician did the tweaking/slide work. Pro-tested. 9-9.5 hand slide action. Will ship to Europe. Please feel free to inquire if you have any questions. Thanks!
vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:27PM »

Price ?

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

"Tenor & Bass, Jazz & Classical"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:29PM »

1959 Elkhart Conn 8H Trombone in Excellent Condition. No dents. Removable original Elkhart lead pipe. Original case. Inner tubes are new. 98% lacquer. Has a beautiful sound and point/center to the blow. Top technician did the tweaking/slide work. Pro-tested. 9-9.5 hand slide action. Will ship to Europe. Please feel free to inquire if you have any questions. Thanks!
I'd like to see pictures, especially one with proof of the date of the pictures, etc.  Sounds like a nice trombone.

dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:33PM »

700,000s ???????????????
mighty  fine  !!!!!!!!!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:05AM »

No offense, but...

When I see a one-post forum member selling a horn that's probably going for $1300 or more, I get a few red flags going up. I'd advise caution.
Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

"Tenor & Bass, Jazz & Classical"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:02AM »

No offense, but...

When I see a one-post forum member selling a horn that's probably going for $1300 or more, I get a few red flags going up. I'd advise caution.
Precisely why I'd like to see proof of the seller with a picture of the horn and the current date on a piece of paper to at least prove the horn is in their possession.  Still, I'm curious.  We'll see.

aerophone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:45AM »

I've seen this horn on Craigslist and know the seller.  He's got a lot of nice horns.  Here's the ad with pics:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/d/1959-elkhart-conn-8h-trombone/6490588003.html

greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:56PM »

Oh, the seller is a known quantity, all right...

Holton bass trombones...
trombonetrader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:21AM »

Hey guys and gals,
I will fully admit that I'm new at posting information here.
I'll see if I can find where you post pictures.
My price is higher on Ebay, they really stick you there (13%). I'd like $2000 for her.
Happy to answer any and all questions.
Randy

PS: Since I can't find where to post photos here, I'll refer you to my craigslist ad. Thx

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6490588003?action=display&go=display

As for one comment about buying for $1300, indeed you can find horns possibly for less, although you find them as they are, oftentimes needing considerable repair. 50's 8H's are more rare. I had this horn tweaked by a major tech in Wisconsin. She's impeccable.
cozzagiorgi
Schnädäräbänz!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:53AM »

your link doesn' work.

I'm to bad to be a pro...
trombonetrader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:07AM »

Try this link, sorry for the first not working:

seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/d/1959-elkhart-conn-8h-trombone/6490588003.html
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:16AM »

There's a sticky at the top of the classifieds about posting pictures. In short, we're full and the owner of the site hasn't done anything to allevaite the problem or let anybody do anything to fix it... so you have to use external sources and post the link.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:09PM »

very very very    clean  --possibly  refinish 
  clues --shiny receiver  --buffed  clean tuning slide  tubes
  case  is  xxxxxceptionally   good[missing  sticker inside lid]
 tubes -pipe - it adds  up 2K
================================================
 now if you  want  original  dents finish  as  --you  know where  to go   Hi Hi Hi Hi

Hey guys and gals,
I will fully admit that I'm new at posting information here.
I'll see if I can find where you post pictures.
My price is higher on Ebay, they really stick you there (13%). I'd like $2000 for her.
Happy to answer any and all questions.
Randy

PS: Since I can't find where to post photos here, I'll refer you to my craigslist ad. Thx

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6490588003?action=display&go=display

As for one comment about buying for $1300, indeed you can find horns possibly for less, although you find them as they are, oftentimes needing considerable repair. 50's 8H's are more rare. I had this horn tweaked by a major tech in Wisconsin. She's impeccable.

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
trombonetrader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:03PM »

Yep!
The bell flare is never touched up (always leave this original), but indeed I did have the main tuning slide, neck pipe, hand holds, and slide crook refinished in epoxy lacquer for durability. Also, the inner slide tubes are new. Lead pipe original, and removable. D.J. is the man too! ;-)
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:32PM »

Yep!
The bell flare is never touched up (always leave this original), but indeed I did have the main tuning slide, neck pipe, hand holds, and slide crook refinished in epoxy lacquer for durability. Also, the inner slide tubes are new. Lead pipe original, and removable. D.J. is the man too! ;-)

I guess you didn't think that was important enough to mention in your first post...

Holton bass trombones...
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:07PM »

As for one comment about buying for $1300, indeed you can find horns possibly for less, although you find them as they are, oftentimes needing considerable repair.

I had to guess, since you didn't list a price, and I did say "or more."  Last Elkie 8H I sold was close to mint, with original lacquer, and it went for $1300 on eBay. That was eight years ago.
paulyg

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:36PM »

Yeah if I were a chump and were looking for an 'original' 8H, one that had been almost completely rebuilt would not catch my eye. Representing it as mint seems sketch if ~70% of the horn has been refinished.
Larry Preston Roberson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:42AM »

I love the community of The Forum for protecting us all from potential scammers; I sincerely mean this. That being said, OP has been a member since 2012—granted he/she has never posted. Yet, it seems likely that he/she would have attempted an impropriety before now—unless it's a hijacked, inactive account. Regarding the condition of the horn, sometimes it is necessary to educate first time sellers as to the finer points of proper descriptions/representations of their wares. Personally, I prefer a very detailed description with pictures. And I'm almost verbose with my own listings. While the overall description is somewhat ambiguous, I must admit that the only mention I see of "original" pertains to the condition of the lead pipe and case—not quite "pics tell the rest of the story." In terms of price, please pardon the cliché, but something is worth what someone will pay for it. Also, keep in mind that it is tax season in the U.S. and most everything is inflated in price, including used cars and trombones. Personally speaking, I wouldn't pay the asking price (on Craigslist) for a reconditioned 8H, but someone else might. As always, caveat emptor!
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2018, 12:46PM by Larry Preston Roberson » Logged
sonicsilver

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:26AM »

I love the community of The Forum for protecting us all from potential scammers; I sincerely mean this. That being said, OP has been a member since 2012—granted he/she has never posted. Yet, it seems likely that he/she would have attempted an impropriety before now—unless it's a hijacked, inactive account. Regarding the condition of the horn, sometimes it is necessary to educate first time sellers as to the finer points of proper descriptions/representations of their wares. Personally, I prefer a very detailed description with pictures. And I'm almost verbose with my own listings. While the overall description is somewhat ambiguous, I must admit that the only mention I see of "original" pertains to the condition of the lead pipe and case—not quite "pics tell the rest of the story." In terms of price, please pardon the cliché, but something is worth what someone will pay for it. Also, keep in mind that it is tax season in the U.S. and most everything is inflated in price, including used cars and trombones. Personally speaking, I wouldn't pay the asking price (on Craigslist) for a reconditioned 8H, but someone else might. As always caveat emptor!

Very fair comments. Well said.
trombonetrader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:42PM »

When I chose to post in this forum I had no idea I would face bias rather than fair-minded scrutiny. I expected collegial commenting, and questioning for more information. This is so reminiscent of the worst aspects of being a musician. First of all, there is distortion of the item, lack of real world knowledge, assumption of mischaracterization, and suggest of nefarious intent. It's distasteful and unkind. The pros I know would never get nasty. I'very sold horns to top 5 orchestra players in this country, major players in the UK, Italy, Germany, Poland, Hong Kong, Australia and Canada. I've never had a return or complaint, and am routinely am told that my horns came better than described. I'm happy to answer any and all questions dutifully, but to disprove a negative?

To my knowledge refinishing a main tuning slide, neck pipe, hand hold area, and slide crook - and to provide a link to photos that state the obvious is not in the least deceptive. Touching up does not affect the performance in any way - if it has been expertly done. It is valid to acknowledge that replacing the inner tubes will change the performance characteristics of the instrument, but the potential change is easily offset by the fact that the slide has a new life, and being optimized by a head Greenhoe tech says a lot. There will be some who like to espose their expertise here, but I kindly point to an expert like D.J. for example, who is always kind and respectful, and decent. I myself have played 50 years and performed full-time in three European orchestra. I can all together remove this post, but think that it would be a loss to the forum to be bullied off for sake of what makes the profession unkind. Ask questions before pronouncements, please, as a courtesy. Yes, the market can bring untouched horns for less. I chose to list for appraised value. And given the rep of these horns comparable to new it is not extravagant. A certain experience and expertise can bring these horns back to life without doing harm. I never said 'mint'. I said excellent condition.

I thank anyone for giving this posting a fair chance.

A close friend once said to me: when we speak, whether about others or not, we are always speaking about ourselves.

Thank you for respecting my request.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: