Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096558 Posts in 72524 Topics- by 19537 Members - Latest Member: philthomas
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumClassified AdvertisementsClassified Advertisements(Moderator: Greg Waits) FS: 3 Solotone mutes - Humes & Berg/Micro/Shastock
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FS: 3 Solotone mutes - Humes & Berg/Micro/Shastock  (Read 207 times)
ashughart50wr

View Profile
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:17PM »

About ten years ago I had to play a show "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and I needed a Solotone mute.  After much research I discovered the the only one that was really any good was the original Shastock mute that was made back in the 20's and 30's.  Unfortunately I was not able to find one and I ended up purchasing a H & B for the show.  I had to add several layers of cork on the end so it would play in tune and it served the purpose.  Several years later I found a Micro solotone mute that was new old stock in a music store in Ohio.  I paid $100 for that mute and played it for "curtains" and a couple of other shows but thought it sounded a bit "tight".  However, I really didn't know what a REAL Solotone was supposed to sound like.  Fast forward to Spring 2017 and I bought my first 1920 Shastock mute on EBay.  (I paid dearly)   This winter I was able to purchase another trombone original Shastock mute at an estate sale and decided I don't need two.  I did have to add a small piece of cork to the end of this mute but it works fine.   So ...I am listing 3 different Solotone mutes with pictures and a YouTube video so you can listen to the different sounds.  They all play differently and slightly sharp. 

Humes & Burg - $30 + $10 shipping (tuned w/cork)
      Micro (white color) $90 + $10 shipping - SOLD! SOLD! SOLD!
      Original Shastock (Black) Solotone $165 + $10 shipping

https://imgur.com/gallery/Zjdki

https://youtu.be/_eF6pAu_jtM

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 03:38AM by ashughart50wr » Logged
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:02PM »

Email sent regarding the Micro Shastock.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: